Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Far Away is Vienna, VA from American and GWU?  (Read 3156 times)

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
How Far Away is Vienna, VA from American and GWU?
« on: February 20, 2008, 10:56:57 AM »
Anyone know?  How feasible would it be to live by one and commute to the other?

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
Re: How Far Away is Vienna, VA from American and GWU?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 12:00:29 PM »
Hahaha no I think we'd be more likely to live around GWU or AU...my fiance's company has an office in Vienna so I wanted to know how bad of a commute it would be for him.  Thanks!

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 03:36:46 PM »
Vienna is a relatively big place, and I think we're assuming that either the fiance's office is within walking distance of the Vienna metro or the fiance would have some way to get to the office once he gets to the Vienna metro stop.  More likely, though, he will have to drive.  Therefore, I'd split the difference and live in Arlington in Courthouse/Clarendon/Ballston.  That way he can get on the road without having to drive in DC (he would have somewhat of a reverse commute, although DC doesn't really have such a thing) and you can hop on the Orange line and go straight to GW or transfer to the red line at Metro Center for AU.

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 03:59:58 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input!  I can see I need to invest in a good map of the area to identify these places you're talkin about!  ;D

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 04:05:17 PM »
http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

GW is at the Foggy Bottom/GW stop on the Blue and Orange lines.  AU is at (kinda) the Tennleytown stop on the red line.  Vienna is the last stop on the Orange line, and pretty much the whole white space to the left and above the Vienna metro stop.  

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 04:33:15 PM »
Yea I definitely plan to visit.  I'm just trying to wait until a little later in my cycle so as to not spend the money on an unnecessary trip if I don't get into either GWU or AU. 

RoughRider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 04:56:08 PM »
tag - this is good info so far as I'm pending at GWU and accepted to George Mason.

ManTGeo

• Sr. Citizen
  • HLS 2012!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 06:23:18 PM »
No.  I wish NOVA would burn to the ground.  All of it. And it's my hometown, so I'm entitled to bash on it for being disgusting all I like.

As a longtime resident of suburban Maryland, I concur.

washdc23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 09:13:03 PM »
No.  I wish NOVA would burn to the ground.  All of it. And it's my hometown, so I'm entitled to bash on it for being disgusting all I like.

As a longtime resident of suburban Maryland, I concur.

I'm a suburban Maryland dweller as well and honestly, I don't have a problem w/ NOVA. There's some cool bars there and there's lots of young professional types in Arlington and the surrounding area. Vienna, on the other hand, seems to be made up of young families and boring gov't types. Don't say I didn't warn you.

radiotank

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 12:59:52 AM »
I'm a suburban Maryland dweller as well and honestly, I don't have a problem w/ NOVA. There's some cool bars there and there's lots of young professional types in Arlington and the surrounding area. Vienna, on the other hand, seems to be made up of young families and boring gov't types. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Ha, agreed. Vienna, nobody should ever live there unless they like boredom. Arlington is a good town, several good bars, and convenient to both DC and Tysons/Reston.

For the original poster, Arlington would still be a rough commute to American though, you'd need a car, so if you plan on metroing there, live in DC. If you go to GW, Arlington is fine. Honestly, Arlington is just as convenient to GW as any part of the District unless you live right in Foggy Bottom, where the apartments are so hideously expensive you'd be paying double for half the size and potentially no dishwasher.