Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: how would you rank T14 based on pure layman prestige/first impression???????????  (Read 7692 times)

pulvillus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
My experience has been:

HARVARD
Yale/Columbia/Princeton
Stanford
Georgetown/Berkeley
Cornell (after you tell people it's an Ivy)
The State Schools (UMich, UVA, Penn)
The Commuter Schools (UChicago, NYU)
Northwestern/Duke

Uhh...Princeton's inclusion and Penn as a state school were jokes, correct?

Totally jokes based on actual conversations with my extended family.  I'm a first-gen college grad, so my experience might be a little different than most people's.

It took my grandmother and my football-loving cousin at least 20 minutes to understand that I had applied to UPenn, the prestigous university founded by Ben Franklin, and not the one where JoPa coaches.

I have also been asked 5 times (I counted) by various family members/friends why I didn't apply to Princeton.

Riiiight, nice save.... Actually, I have been encouraged to apply to Dartmouth before, so I suppose the layperson might actually rank Princeton's "law school" on par with Yale.

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
My experience has been:

HARVARD
Yale/Columbia/Princeton
Stanford
Georgetown/Berkeley
Cornell (after you tell people it's an Ivy)
The State Schools (UMich, UVA, Penn)
The Commuter Schools (UChicago, NYU)
Northwestern/Duke

In all seriousness, what is the lay prestige gap between Harvard and Yale?  I come from an immigrant family, and the gap is extreme.  But how about among well-educated but non-lawyer Americans?

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
First gen college student, here is my impression:

Harvard
Yale
Stanford
(Princeton, Dartmouth, etc.)
Notre Dame
Duke
Cornell
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Georgetown

Honestly, no one would really know Chicago/Penn/Columbia/Mich/UVA/etc.

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

In all seriousness, what is the lay prestige gap between Harvard and Yale?  I come from an immigrant family, and the gap is extreme.  But how about among well-educated but non-lawyer Americans?

In my experience, even when talking to non-lawyer professionals there's still some confusion as to the fact that Yale is considered better than Harvard.  It's not that people aren't impressed with Yale Law, it's just that Harvard Law has a stronger "brand" than any other school.  I think part of the reason is that very few people know anyone who has gone to Yale Law, either personally or just in general (the Clintons are probably the most famous YLS alums in America, and a lot of people I know think they went to Harvard).  This is probably a consequence of Yale's smaller size and also it's more academic focus.  There aren't many legal public intellectuals anymore.

Edit: I should probably state again that I live in flyover country, so the experience is probably different for someone who lives in Manhattan, for example.       

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
In my experience, even when talking to non-lawyer professionals there's still some confusion as to the fact that Yale is considered better than Harvard.  It's not that people aren't impressed with Yale Law, it's just that Harvard Law has a stronger "brand" than any other school. 

I guess the question is: how much more prestigious?  My grandparents are going to be confused for the rest of their lives if (when?) I turn down Harvard.  To what extent is that a consequence of being immigrants?

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I think Georgetown would beat out most of these schools sans Harvard and maybe Yale.  Lawyers in movies come from three places: Harvard, Yale, and Georgetown.

biggame

• View Profile
The T14 is a joke. Who came up with "14" anyway. It is stupid and idiotic. The only schools that matter are Harvard, Stanford and Yale...maybe Georgetown. Other than that everyone on the "outside" thinks every school is good. People don't understand or even care about the "T14" "Top 25" or any other T something or other. Just the schools themselves and the retarded students who care so much about rankings.

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
In my experience, even when talking to non-lawyer professionals there's still some confusion as to the fact that Yale is considered better than Harvard.  It's not that people aren't impressed with Yale Law, it's just that Harvard Law has a stronger "brand" than any other school. 

I guess the question is: how much more prestigious?  My grandparents are going to be confused for the rest of their lives if (when?) I turn down Harvard.  To what extent is that a consequence of being immigrants?

I think confused grandparents are just a necessary part of the process  :)  My grandmother asks me every time we talk how big a scholarship I'm going to get from Harvard.  I've given up trying to explain that they don't give them and that I wouldn't get one if they did. 

You should just mail your relatives copies of every US News ranking for the past 20 years.  They'll get the picture.

iceepop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
That is a pretty poor reason to choose a law school. You're literally trading actual benefits like job placement and quality of education for what some random people are gonna think about you.

I really hope this is a joke, for your sake. I can't imagine what your life is like if you need to choose a law school specifically so that everyone on the street will recognize it and provide you with validation.
If all you care about is lay person prestige then go get a phd so you can add Dr. to your name. It'll go a lot farther towards getting you laid. Or better yet, why don't you save the 120,000 and the three years of your life and just buy a ferrari? There's prestige that everyone can see right away.

Either way, Botbot's response is pretty dead on, but with that new hit show Eli Stone out, i think Stanford should be in there too. (I'm pretty sure he went to Stanford. God, why do I know that?)

Haha, cheers to you for being the only one to bring this up rather than just giving input as if there is nothing stupid about what the OP said!

AmericasTeam

• Getcha Popcorn Ready
    • View Profile
Seriously, thank you Rhymnocerus and Icee- this is a ridiculous and incredibly arrogant question. How did these great schools offer you admission if you can't even make this decision on your own. retarded... Search for the article "douschbags in the mist." I think those are the type of people that would be able to relate to your priorities and interests.
Yes: Baylor ($$), Houston ($$), Texas Tech (not interested)
No: UCLA, Wash U St. Louis, CU, Fordham
Maybe: SMU (Waitlisted), Texas (Waitlisted), Wisconsin(on "hold") UIUC (Waitlisted, Withdrawn)

God bless the Dallas Cowboys and Tony Romo