Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Opinions about DePaul?  (Read 1793 times)

SabrinaK

• View Profile
Opinions about DePaul?
« on: February 19, 2008, 06:56:06 PM »
So I was accepted at DePaul and they're offering me 45k if I maintain a certain gpa.  But I'm getting the feeling that a lot of people here don't think very highly of the school.  Can I get some opinions?  I'm still waiting to hear from a bunch of schools, so I don't know where I want to go yet.  I just wanted to get a general feel for what people think.

Thanks!
Alan Shore: You know I'm not about to go to Texas and not ride the mechanical bull, Chelina. That would be like going to Los Angeles and not sleeping with Paris Hilton.

Lock & Load: University of San Diego 2011!

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Opinions about DePaul?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 07:53:22 PM »
Tag. I just got accepted with $54K and would love to know more. It's my first acceptance, but the money/city are very attractive options. Still waiting on Kent, Loyola...
Tulane c/o 2011

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 08:07:16 PM »
DePaul was also my first "acceptance," I was waitlisted then they accepted me to the part time day program, and I am still waitlisted for the full time program.  A few people I've been talking to seem convinced that Depaul will be rising a bit in the ranks over the next few years, we'll see how that develops.  DePaul might not be T1 but I think it's still pretty respectable, and being in Chicago ought to offer many professional options if you graduate high in your class.

maroon07

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 09:28:09 PM »
depaul has some amazingly hot girls, really friendly law students, and some really considerate administrators. unfortunately it has like zero placement in any of the major firms in chicago. Its ranked 90-something in US News, and is way behind Chicago, Northwestern, Michigan, IL, ND, and event Chicago-Kent, and other schools that feed into Chicago.

Depaul seems to place a lot of people in city government/city court clerkships/prosecution positions. a friend of mine who works in chicago biglaw told me that you essentially need to be top 10%, preferably top 5%, to be in the running, barring some exceptional personal characteristics.
In: Emory, Illinois, Minnesota, DePaul
Dinged: Chicago
Hold: BC
Waiting: Fordham, Vanderbilt, WUSTL

SabrinaK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 09:55:31 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Although, hot girls isn't really much of a draw for me.  I don't need the competition.  ;)
Alan Shore: You know I'm not about to go to Texas and not ride the mechanical bull, Chelina. That would be like going to Los Angeles and not sleeping with Paris Hilton.

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 11:12:06 AM »
It's funny, I definitely look more favorably on the schools with a 50-50 split than the ones that are like 60% male.  Unfortunately, those also tend to be $$$.

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 10:32:24 PM »
Tag. I just got accepted with $54K and would love to know more. It's my first acceptance, but the money/city are very attractive options. Still waiting on Kent, Loyola...

Are you sure you wanna come up here to Chicago from Florida  ;)?  It's 11 right now and falling, windchill is in the negatives.  I used to live in Florida and I miss the warmth...but the cold does make you appreciate the summer more.

To everyone else though, DePaul's in Lincoln Park which is an awesome neighborhood.  Unfortunately, that's just about all the positive I can say about DePaul's law school.
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

RonSantoRules

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 11:18:34 PM »
I originally thought about going to school in Chicago at Kent or DePaul (actually still waiting on Kent but am in at DePaul with 20K per year), but the more I read up on things, it seemed like you are behind the 8-ball trying to get jobs coming out of DePaul. Not only do you have Loyola, Kent, and Depaul, but then add in NU, Chicago, Notre Dame, Illinois, Wisconsin, and other T2/3/4 schools like Valpo in the area, and the competition for jobs seems to be pretty stiff. The Chicago law market is pretty big, but there also was a guy trying to sell his DePaul law degree on EBAY the other day (http://blog.simplejustice.us/2008/01/13/auctioning-professional-misery-on-ebay.aspx). Not sure what to make of that.

I also ruled it out because I visited DePaul and didn't like the urban setting (I would rather go some place that has a campus and isn't just a building downtown) and the COL. I also wasn't sure about the grading curve, as I think I needed a 3.2 to keep the GPA, but I think their curve is on a 3.0 (which means something like top20% to keep the scholly). I think you can excel at DePaul, it would just seem to require more work than at other places ranked higher.

Not sure if that helps at all. 

SabrinaK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 09:22:12 AM »
Yeah it does, thanks.  I called them because I'd have to keep a 3.3 and she said it was like the top 30-35%.  I'm hoping I'll have more choices.

boilerguy84

• "I've got something to say..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 11:43:21 AM »
depaul has some amazingly hot girls

well, that settles it.  ;D
"read a book."
Depaul '11