Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cornell fall, Duke summer, or wait out waitlists?  (Read 1287 times)

tc24135

• View Profile
    • Email
Cornell fall, Duke summer, or wait out waitlists?
« on: February 19, 2008, 06:22:32 PM »
So here's my background.  I'm a top candidate for law schools in terms of grades (4.0+) from a top public school with a 165 lsat (i decided i wouldn't retake even though i prolly could have done better), straight out of college (a bit of work experience through internships etc...).

Anyway, my top choice right now is Cornell, and I'm waitlisted at Penn, GULC, and Berkeley, and I'm still waiting to hear back from Stanford, NYU, Michigan, and UVA.  My top choice would be Berkeley or Stanford.  I was fine waiting to hear back from places and whatnot except yesterday I found out that I was accepted for the Duke Summer Program (JD/LLM). 

I'd rather do this program than go to Cornell but it starts in May/June which kinda sucks.  I've also got a trip planned until mid/june touring around asia, so if I decide I Duke, I think I would try to defer (if possible).  Anyway, does everyone think it's worth waiting out the waitlists and the apps I haven't heard back from or should I try and find something to do (work etc...) and defer to start in May/June '09?  Any advice or guidance what I should do would be much appreciated!  Also, money and such is not so much an issue.

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
Re: Cornell fall, Duke summer, or wait out waitlists?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 08:48:16 PM »
Do ya think they will let ya defer it a year for that program specifically. I do find humor in people who apply for these programs with a summer start but then plan some trip or something and want to defer. Not trying to be a male private part to ya or anything I just think that unless your trip is to feed staring children or build a damn to bring electricity to rural asian countryside then I hope they tell ya no you cant defer for your jolly trip of yours. Sorry if it seems like im being cynical im just having a day is all. Good luck

tc24135

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 12:54:29 AM »
Fair enough, I just don't know if I'm ready to start law school so soon after my undergrad finishes.

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 11:43:38 AM »
then why did you apply. Come on time to grow up a little and make adult decisions. Sorry im just cynical right now

tc24135

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 05:11:58 PM »
Haha I was "offered" it very recently after I had already applied to Duke and ruled out getting in.  Moreover, I had already planned my trip although I think now I'm leaning towards sucking it up and going this may cause it is an awesome opportunity.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 02:52:51 PM »
I hope this doens't come across as pretentious or condescending, ... but I think you should be thankful you have the options you do. Maybe you have some crazy strong softs that I'm not considering, but with those numbers, I think you're very fortuante to be sitting on two T14 acceptances. If I were you, I'd just go to Cornell.

I realize that I'm not you, though.

I certainly wouldn't wait a year to apply without doing something to help your candidacy (like retaking the LSAT or something). And taking a year off to go to Duke rather than just going to Cornell now seems kinda silly, don't you think?

What do you plan on doing after law school?
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.