Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GULC Waitlist(s)  (Read 4670 times)

stoney732

• View Profile
GULC Waitlist(s)
« on: February 19, 2008, 06:12:45 PM »
Fire away...

One thing I noticed is that since they extended their app. deadline from Feb. 1 to March 1, their ostensible reason for deferring people until Feb. 15 evaporated.  If they wanted to take a look at deferred apps in light on the entire pool, then a decision would have to be made after March 1.  That's why, I think, at least some of the waitlists have been given out...since their deadlines changed and they didn't want to renege on the Feb 15 timeline for a decision, they waitlisted people until the new, later deadline passes and they can reassess in light of the entire pool, as originally planned.

Also, if you've seen past years' GULC WL threads, they seem to have 2 different kinds of Preferred WLs...one with a specific contact person (viewed as more favorable) and another with only general information.  And then, of course, the general WL.

I got the normal PWL...let's see if anyone has the "Preferred-Preferred" type this year.
Vanderbilt Law Class of 2011

stoney732

• View Profile
Re: GULC Waitlist(s)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 04:51:32 PM »
Nobody interested?

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 09:21:40 PM »
I'm on the preferred waitlist also. Not the "preferred preferred" one, hadn't heard of that until you mentioned it. Chances are pretty slim, huh?

stoney732

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 09:24:37 PM »
Slim, but not impossible...hope it goes well for you!

I think we have at least 2 months before we can expect to hear anything, so saddle up.

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 01:34:34 AM »
I'm on the preferred waitlist. I started asking around in Dec when I got my letter about the preferred preferred list to see if anyone on here received it this year and so far I haven't heard of anyone.

stoney732

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 10:40:32 AM »
Good to hear...I suppose this increases our chances of getting in

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 10:46:03 AM »
Good to hear...I suppose this increases our chances of getting in

Let's hope so....

Are any of you submitting any additional materials now, or are you just going to wait until they ask if you want to stay on the waitlist. So far I've turned in a LOCI and another recommendation letter but I will probably write another LOCI in May. Does that seem like a little too much?

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
  • I feel like that Chihuahua.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 10:48:25 AM »
I am also on the preferred waitlist. What are your first choices in the meantime?
GW '11?

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 10:50:12 AM »
I hear different things about what's "too much." I'm trying to get two letters of rec. I'm definitely getting one from an alum of GULC, and I want to ask my boss who graduated from Boalt, taught there, and taught at Hastings. He currently teaches at a local school. But I just started working, so I don't want to put him in precarious position.

I will definitely be writing a LOCI. Not sure when to send it, though. I'm positive they won't be looking at it right now. Although, I saw on LSN that someone got waitlisted and accepted to Georgetown. So it makes me wonder what's going on. I'm going to start writing that and sent it in soon.

How'd you send it? Snail Mail?

Where are you guys going to go if GULC doesn't pan out?

stoney732

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 12:20:16 PM »
I sent in a LOCI snail mail a few days after I got WLed.  I don't think I'll send in another LOR, but I do know someone who is on the UG Board of Directors or whatever G'town calls it, so I might ask him to help.

Right now, Vandy is the best school I've gotten in to...but it's hard to say where I'd go with knowing what kind of $$ I'm gonna get (if any).  But all other things being equal, I'd go there.