Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOR - Father-in-law  (Read 993 times)

Stockers

• View Profile
LOR - Father-in-law
« on: February 19, 2008, 12:29:13 PM »
I already have three great LORs:

- Undergraduate professor
- Master's program professor/advisor
- Current employer (more than 6 years out of undergrad, successful investment banking career so this letter is crucial)
- I have 2 targeted letters as well (University of Chicago, University of Colorado)

My father-in-law is a long-time partner at White & Case, and really wants to write a LOR for me. I realize this letter would likely only go to schools that accept 4 LORs (unless of course, someone here convinces me that I should replace one of the other letters).

Am I crazy? Should I be prioritizing this LOR? If it weren't my father-in-law, perhaps his LOR would be more attractive to me, but it feels a bit, ummmmm, silly to have a LOR from him. Thanks for the input!

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LOR - Father-in-law
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 12:46:54 PM »
You should only use letters from him as targeted letters to his alma mater or places where he knows the dean or something.  Save his letter-writing gusto for your job search once in law school - partners at White and Case tend to be able to get things done.  In the meantime, just dont piss him off.

TwinkyBean

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's Yellow.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TwinkyBean
    • View Profile
Re: LOR - Father-in-law
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 12:24:08 AM »
You should only use letters from him as targeted letters to his alma mater or places where he knows the dean or something.  Save his letter-writing gusto for your job search once in law school - partners at White and Case tend to be able to get things done.  In the meantime, just dont piss him off.

TITCR
Waiting... :(