Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stetson  (Read 2525 times)

steuby

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Stetson
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 08:00:16 PM »
If tuition inevitably leads to a strong school, FAMU will also inevitably become a competitive school (considering that it has the cheapest in-state tuition in Florida.) I don't think any of us expect that to happen in this century, however.

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 08:39:38 PM »
Lower tuition breeds a large applicant pool.  The state is pumping money into FIU, while FAMU is obviously Florida's Cooley.  I have no reason to talk up FIU; it is my immediate competition (UMIAMI).  I don't know where you are from but everyone down here knows FIU is going to settle somewhere in the second tier.  THE SCHOOL'S MEDIAN LSAT IS = TO STETSON'S JUST 2 YEARS AFTER ACCREDITATION! (155)

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 09:43:24 PM »
Lower tuition breeds a large applicant pool.  The state is pumping money into FIU, while FAMU is obviously Florida's Cooley.  I have no reason to talk up FIU; it is my immediate competition (UMIAMI).  I don't know where you are from but everyone down here knows FIU is going to settle somewhere in the second tier.  THE SCHOOL'S MEDIAN LSAT IS = TO STETSON'S JUST 2 YEARS AFTER ACCREDITATION! (155)

A 155 median is NOT the norm for 2nd tier. I'm not saying its a bad school, but it won't be 2nd tier any time soon.

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 10:03:57 PM »
Are you saying that FIU's LSAT median has PEAKED two years after accreditation??  Ahhh the logic.... (I can't believe I am defending FIU).

defense

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 10:26:35 PM »
I have been following this thread closely since I applied to Nova, FIU, and Stetson.  If the choice was between Nova and FIU, what would be the better choice?  Someone already said that FIU was behind Nova.  I'm very curious.

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 10:54:14 PM »
FIU is objectively better than Nova (tier 3 vs 4 respectively).  Right now stetson is the best choice but FIU has a good future.

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 09:44:25 AM »
FIU is objectively better than Nova (tier 3 vs 4 respectively).  Right now stetson is the best choice but FIU has a good future.

You see there's the problem with using a subjective ranking like USNWR. (and it is subjective) Nova has a much larger alumni base. Much larger. Nova grads are in almost every major firm in South Florida. If one was to just look at the rankings, and not do any other research, than yes, FIU would seem the better option. But its really not for job prospects. Too new of a school. Bottom line. No alumni base, and therefore employers don't really know the quality of the students coming out of FIU. 10 years from now will it be ahead of Nova? Possibly. But for now, even though USNWR ranks it nominally higher, its actually not better for job prospects.

Is FIU cheaper than Nova? Absolutely. And that's a big factor to consider when you are looking at a school. It would be hard to justify the extra 20 grand for Florida residents. (see I'm defending FIU now) But if you're an out of state student, or if you have a scholarship to Nova, then you may wish to go to Nova simply because it will give you the better oportunity for jobs. (even if you wish to work in the public sector...where alumni connections are much more important)

Stetson is still better than both. (Oldest Law school in Florida, hence many  more Alumni who can make hiring decisions) And will likely be the better school for the immediate future. I can't stress enough how important it is to have a large alumni base to work with.  Alumni are loyal to their own, and if the alumni can make hiring decisions, they will take you over someone who went to another school with roughly the same credentials. Now if you graduate in the top 10% of your class, you will still be able to get a good job no matter who the hiring partner is or who's on the hiring committee. But its a lot easier for the people outside of the top 10% to get a job if you've got a connection to the people who make decisions. (i.e. Alumni)

Ok...I think I've said enough. Bottom line: Stetson, Nova then FIU for whats best to get a job. Go to Stetson then Nova if you can handle the price over FIU. If you can't then go to FIU. This can be revisited in 10 years, but for now this is the best choice.

thelawfool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 09:55:52 AM »
for in-state folks, i would find it hard to justify nova's 30K per year (or more) tuition when FIU is taking leaps and bounds to surpass it in all areas including the objective USNWR standards as well as multiple factors not considered including faculty.  many nova students tell me the same thing (that if FIU had been accredited when they applied to nova, then it would be a no brainer).

however, it is hard to argue with the benefits of having a large alumni base when looking for a firm job.  many attorneys in miami have FIU undergrad degrees (which helps a little bit) and FIU grads have stayed loyal for the most part when selecting FIU students as law clerks.  things will change over the years but it's hard to argue with that.  t's not to say that firms in miami don't hire FIU grads but it's been a slow process to integrate our grads into the bigger firms.

one thing, though, is that if you are interested in working for either the public defender, state attorney or even a public interest job and you are in-state, then i would find it hard to swallow nova's ridiculous tuition when the admission numbers, faculty, facilities and reputation are better at FIU. 
FIU Class of 2009

brokenvw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 06:01:39 PM »
FIU just dropped to T4 mostly due in part to its 21% employment rate. Essentially Nova and FIU are both rancid TTTT's at this point. Avoid them both.

steuby

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »
The 21%, I'm sure, is the at-graduation percentage, not the 9-month. Last year, their 9-month percentage of employment was in the 80s.