Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: No extracurricular activities  (Read 1476 times)

secondsblue

• View Profile
No extracurricular activities
« on: February 18, 2008, 11:30:47 PM »
I had no extracurriculars in undergrad. Is this bad for applying to law school?

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: No extracurricular activities
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 11:36:25 PM »
If you have solid numbers it wont affect you horribly.

Which schools do you intend on applying too? Anything in the Top14, is all most out of reach because all the applicants are exceptional. The only thing they have to differentiate between applicants are the so called "soft factors". If you had to work to put your self through school, that can offset no involvement.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 11:42:31 PM »
 I also think that if you go through everything you did in undergrad, you'll find you DID have Ecs, they just don't look like the typical ones...which may be really helpful to you! ;)
Winner of this challenge: Harvard, NYU, Columbia, UPenn, Michigan, Berkeley, Duke, UCLA  
Still in line: Yale, Stanford
Safe for the next round:
Auf Wiedersehen :

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=1986

benr_roth

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 12:16:33 AM »
its not the end of the world, i didn't really have ECs and I'm doing ok in terms of getting in to schools. I don't think I would have fared well in the T14 if i had applied to any of them however.

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 01:13:16 AM »
Can you highlight any interests that took up from your time.  They just don't want you to be an absolute book worm.  Still, without ECs 175 4.0 will get you into the t14.  169 3.92 with no ECs probably won't (I know a kid who this happened too).

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 01:59:40 AM »
From all of what I read, EC's aren't a big thing UNLESS they are particularly impressive or you have none at all.

This is what I've seen too.

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 10:22:27 PM »
I suppose if you get credit its not technically 'extracurricular', but I don't see why the distinction would be relevant. The plus here out of extracurriculars, or soft factors, or whatever we call it is that you're doing things outside the classroom too - which you have done.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

gowi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 08:18:38 AM »
I had no extracurriculars in undergrad. Is this bad for applying to law school?

I don't have any either. I worked, too. I'm satisfied with how my cycle has gone.  ;D

TrumpWho??

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 02:06:16 PM »
I think it is kind of a medium(?) deal. From all of what I read, EC's aren't a big thing UNLESS they are particularly impressive or you have none at all. They just want to see that you have done SOMETHING.

Do you have work experience? If you have no EC's and no WE (with no reason why you couldn't do it), then I think that is a red flag. If you have a lot of good WE, then the no EC thing is not that big of a deal.

Also, different schools weigh EC experience differently. I am also not in the camp that great numbers will get you in everywhere. Even with a 4.0 and a 180, you may have a tough time getting into HYS with nothing else but #'s.

i worked since i was 17.

my last semester as undergrad i did an internship with the postal inspection service (i got school credit for this, so not sure if it counts as EC), and spent the last year of undergrad working as a student assistant for the secret service (again, not sure if this counts). i also spent 2 semesters tutoring classmates in the writing center during undergrad, but got credit for it.

i have no activities wherein i was both unpaid and received no credit.

Everything you listed is considered Extracurricular. Put it on your resume and make sure it sounds interesting. You will be fine.

idealdreamer

• View Profile
    • It's Truly! Random!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 02:08:41 PM »
I personally had no extracurricular activities really, but I did work. Didn't hurt my cycle at all.