Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 2443 times)

Bigguns

• View Profile
What do you think?
« on: February 18, 2008, 06:26:23 PM »
Just thought I'd try to get some feedback. I have been reading some of your posts on here, and I am beginning to think I am crazy... I've check LSN and the thing on LSAC.. Still not convinced.

LSAT: 149
UGPA: 3.1

Applied to:

Charleston
Samford
Louisville
Memphis
Stetson
South Carolina
Mercer

What do you think my chances are? I am a single parent, but that's about all I have to go on, as far as soft factors. Hopefully my PS will be able to explain away a few things...

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 06:28:28 PM »

I am a single parent

Don't go to law school.

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 06:32:01 PM »

I am a single parent

Don't go to law school.

This is the credited response.  In all seriousness, it is not a worthwhile investment.

JusAccrescendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JusAbstinendi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 06:37:01 PM »
The opportunity cost is too high. Seek comparative advantage.

/end EconomiczBotz v4.2
I have studied and thoroughly mastered the laws of logic. So to argue that I sometimes violate the laws of logic in ordinary conversation would be like arguing that some physicist circumvents the laws of physics in everyday life.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jusabstinendi

Bigguns

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 06:39:27 PM »
I'm kind of agreeing with you guys... Not going to law school is not the end of the world for me. There are other things I can do. Is tough making these decisions. Its either MORE 3 years of school, or I can go on and get a decent paying job, and buy a hosue for my daughter and I. I'm tired of paying rent to live in a sh*tty old house. BUT, on the other hand, law school would be nice, if only they'd let me in.  ???

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 06:47:18 PM »
I'm kind of agreeing with you guys... Not going to law school is not the end of the world for me. There are other things I can do. Is tough making these decisions. Its either MORE 3 years of school, or I can go on and get a decent paying job, and buy a hosue for my daughter and I. I'm tired of paying rent to live in a bad old house. BUT, on the other hand, law school would be nice, if only they'd let me in.  ???

Truthfully, even if they let you in it would still be an awful decision based on what you'd be paying, what you'd be forgoing in immediate pay, and the lack luster pay you would make once you graduate.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 06:49:33 PM »
Do you care more about being a lawyer or financial security?

I assume the latter, so don't go to law school.

Go find a job, study the LSAT at nights and retake.  If you can eventually cross 160, law school might become a more appropriate option.

mason123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 07:59:47 PM »
Wow you folks are such downers. I look at this situation much differently. A 149 may very well result in a scholarship at a low-level school. If there is a substantial scholarship, there is no real financial burden. I consider a JD degree is be very strong element in anyone's resume. Granted a degree from Cooley is not going to get your feet into the door of a major law firm automatically, your determination will get you going. How far you will go is something that none of us here can predict.

Will this person succeed in a small town?
Does this person want to practice a niche law?
What are the options?

I believe that we must consider other information before we just kill this career path for this candidate.

JusAccrescendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JusAbstinendi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 08:02:04 PM »
If there is a substantial scholarship, there is no real financial burden.

Opportunity cost.

Three years out of the work force with a child to raise. A very good chance that the OP will be unable to find employment in the legal sector once graduated. A comparatively low chance of a substantial scholarship from even a T4 with a 149/3.1.

I see many financial burdens here.
I have studied and thoroughly mastered the laws of logic. So to argue that I sometimes violate the laws of logic in ordinary conversation would be like arguing that some physicist circumvents the laws of physics in everyday life.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jusabstinendi

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 08:07:09 PM »
As noted, there will be very few (if any) scholarships for a 149, 3.2.

Those that are awarded will be difficult to maintain.