Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GWU Class of 2011 (or just thinking about it)  (Read 14995 times)

washdc23

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: GWU Class of 2011 (or just thinking about it)
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2008, 10:36:54 AM »
You guys think GW is worth ~$70k more than W&L for the DC market?

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2008, 11:17:11 AM »
You guys think GW is worth ~$70k more than W&L for the DC market?

I don't. Then again I'm going to W&L, so maybe I'm just a troll. W&L will be about 35K less for me and I decided to go there.
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011

prognosisnegative

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2008, 10:06:09 AM »
tag (just thinking about it)

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2008, 01:26:42 PM »
I enjoyed visiting GW, but in the end, I am still in all likelihood not going to attend.  The main reason is cost.  I was able to stop by the financial aid office at GW and get my estimated award (need-based).  While it was nice to get some grant aid, I would still have to take on roughly $150,000 in debt to attend GW.  I'm not wild about DC as a city (résumé-building opportunities aside), I would rather not have to contemplate Biglaw just to pay off debt, and I am 99% certain that I want to practice here in Philly.  For those reasons, the full ride Temple is offering is just too good to pass up.

That said, GW is clearly a great school that provides tremendous opportunities for its smart (and very enthusiastic) students.  The quality of life at GW Law is obviously pretty high.  The facilities are also very nice, and even though I don't like DC, going to law school there just exposes you to all kinds of interesting internship opportunities during the school year.

The negatives:
-Anne Richard seemed annoyed, or at least unenthusiastic, about dealing with the visiting students.  Hello!  It's your job to make me want to come here!  I worried that this might have be symptomatic of a larger problem among the administration.
-The class I sat in on was a bit painful (Property with Overton).  The students were clearly engaged and on point; the professor just droned.  I wouldn't have read so much into one boring class if I hadn't also been told over and over again during the day about GW's emphasis on teaching.
-Not a lot of diversity at GW, as far as I could tell.  Maybe the evening students are different, but I wouldn't be interacting with them anyway.
-Again, the money.
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2008, 06:24:41 PM »
I enjoyed visiting GW, but in the end, I am still in all likelihood not going to attend.  The main reason is cost.  I was able to stop by the financial aid office at GW and get my estimated award (need-based).  While it was nice to get some grant aid, I would still have to take on roughly $150,000 in debt to attend GW.  I'm not wild about DC as a city (résumé-building opportunities aside), I would rather not have to contemplate Biglaw just to pay off debt, and I am 99% certain that I want to practice here in Philly.  For those reasons, the full ride Temple is offering is just too good to pass up.

That said, GW is clearly a great school that provides tremendous opportunities for its smart (and very enthusiastic) students.  The quality of life at GW Law is obviously pretty high.  The facilities are also very nice, and even though I don't like DC, going to law school there just exposes you to all kinds of interesting internship opportunities during the school year.

The negatives:
-Anne Richard seemed annoyed, or at least unenthusiastic, about dealing with the visiting students.  Hello!  It's your job to make me want to come here!  I worried that this might have be symptomatic of a larger problem among the administration.
-The class I sat in on was a bit painful (Property with Overton).  The students were clearly engaged and on point; the professor just droned.  I wouldn't have read so much into one boring class if I hadn't also been told over and over again during the day about GW's emphasis on teaching.
-Not a lot of diversity at GW, as far as I could tell.  Maybe the evening students are different, but I wouldn't be interacting with them anyway.
-Again, the money.

Yeah, Ann Richards was definitely off her game last week, every other time I've met/spoke with her she's been really nice, and a great seller of how good the administration can be here... I really don't know what was up, but she's usually not like that, it makes me think something's going on personally.

Oh, and on behalf of all of GW Law, I apologize for letting anyone go near bad, bad HOVA.  I wouldn't live there, and sure as hell wouldn't have put it anywhere near the tour if I was in charge.  Tink, the Aston was really nice, they are doing a great job with the renovation, and the apartments (all studios, all singles) are going to be fabulous.  I'm a little jealous, if I didn't have my cats I would totally move in there.

rsg

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2008, 10:07:12 PM »

The negatives:
-Anne Richard seemed annoyed, or at least unenthusiastic, about dealing with the visiting students. Hello!  It's your job to make me want to come here!  I worried that this might have be symptomatic of a larger problem among the administration.
-Again, the money.

IAWTC.  I was talking to a cute girl in the lounge right before the boxed lunch when Dean Richard shooed us off to our assigned classrooms. :\

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2008, 10:31:55 PM »

Oh, and on behalf of all of GW Law, I apologize for letting anyone go near bad, bad HOVA.  I wouldn't live there, and sure as hell wouldn't have put it anywhere near the tour if I was in charge.  Tink, the Aston was really nice, they are doing a great job with the renovation, and the apartments (all studios, all singles) are going to be fabulous.  I'm a little jealous, if I didn't have my cats I would totally move in there.

Haha, as someone who might be living in the HOVA next year, I'd like to say it's not that bad! I know Traci didn't like it, and neither did anyone on the tour really, but it's hard to gauge normalcy after seeing Columbia Plaza, which is admittedly amazing. You lucky 1L's don't have to worry about that, as you have the shiny new Aston.

I have no idea who Prof Overton is, but Property is a boring, awful subject as far as I can tell.  The prof's here really are extraordinary, with very few not so great ones thrown in. I'm not trying to sway anyone for or against GW, and I think I was pretty honest with my tour group when they asked questions (yes, it is really expensive, no way around that), but the faculty is truly amazing for the most part. 

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2008, 11:02:45 PM »

Haha, as someone who might be living in the HOVA next year, I'd like to say it's not that bad! I know Traci didn't like it, and neither did anyone on the tour really, but it's hard to gauge normalcy after seeing Columbia Plaza, which is admittedly amazing. You lucky 1L's don't have to worry about that, as you have the shiny new Aston.

I have no idea who Prof Overton is, but Property is a boring, awful subject as far as I can tell.  The prof's here really are extraordinary, with very few not so great ones thrown in. I'm not trying to sway anyone for or against GW, and I think I was pretty honest with my tour group when they asked questions (yes, it is really expensive, no way around that), but the faculty is truly amazing for the most part. 

I love property, it's not boring!  But I have Nunziato, which probably affects my opinion quite a bit because she's awesome.  If you have the chance to take her for any intellectual property stuff, she's great and adorably excited about the subject.

lflyer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2008, 08:57:06 AM »

I just want to stress to anyone who sat in on Overton's class that that is not NOT representative of the school's faculty.  Unfortunately I've had to endure him all semester and at times hes made me consider throwing myself out the 3rd story window that I sit right next to.  About 90% of the class (literally) does not like him.  For those of you that sat in on Cunningham's class, thats alot more like the experience you will have with most professors, atleast from what I've seen.  In fact, every single professor I've had or talked to, with the except of Overton, has a good personality, makes the class laugh, and will do everything they can to help you out. 

And yeah, HOVA is a ****hole.  But there are a ton of other modestly priced places to live around school, in other parts of the city, and in Virginia.

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2008, 12:38:39 PM »
The deposit deadline is coming up. Anyone make up their mind yet? I still haven't :o