Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GWU Class of 2011 (or just thinking about it)  (Read 14480 times)

J.A.A.N.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GWU Class of 2011 (or just thinking about it)
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2008, 09:26:05 PM »
Yeah, if I don't choose GW (b/c I don't think I am going to trump that) it will boil down to one thing...cost of attendance. or by some extremely long shot I get into one of my ultra-reach schools.

Chris, I wouldn't mind a small town lifestyle at all during this whole law school endeavor. I already don't have time to get bored...just wait until 1L. I understand what you mean.
(Just Adding Another Notch)

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2008, 10:11:50 PM »
Yeah, if I don't choose GW (b/c I don't think I am going to trump that) it will boil down to one thing...cost of attendance. or by some extremely long shot I get into one of my ultra-reach schools.

Chris, I wouldn't mind a small town lifestyle at all during this whole law school endeavor. I already don't have time to get bored...just wait until 1L. I understand what you mean.

For me W&L offers three advantages. One, I'd start PT at GW, so I'd have to deal with transferring to FT and that might screw up my 1L summer. Two and three are all about housing. Rent will be way cheaper at W&L (at least half, possibly less) and because I have a family I'd have to live out in the burbs of DC. I'd have a 1/2 hour commute both ways. I think living in Lexington will be much less stressful. Plus, my UG is huge (~30K) and I'd really like to go to a small, intimate school like W&L.
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011

J.A.A.N.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2008, 05:18:19 PM »

For me W&L offers three advantages. One, I'd start PT at GW, so I'd have to deal with transferring to FT and that might screw up my 1L summer. Two and three are all about housing. Rent will be way cheaper at W&L (at least half, possibly less) and because I have a family I'd have to live out in the burbs of DC. I'd have a 1/2 hour commute both ways. I think living in Lexington will be much less stressful. Plus, my UG is huge (~30K) and I'd really like to go to a small, intimate school like W&L.

OMG, Chris. Assuming you are a male, you are like my male co-app. LOL. I have the same situations (GW p/t, family- husband and 2 kids, UG debt- and grad debt for my Masters degree, the small intimate part is why I am considering Wake Forest- with money). I also really want to hear from UNC b/c living in NC would be most ideal after GA. I'm from DC and the cost of living/day care, etc. is still way too fresh in my mind   :(
(Just Adding Another Notch)

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2008, 05:23:52 PM »

OMG, Chris. Assuming you are a male, you are like my male co-app. LOL. I have the same situations (GW p/t, family- husband and 2 kids, UG debt- and grad debt for my Masters degree, the small intimate part is why I am considering Wake Forest- with money). I also really want to hear from UNC b/c living in NC would be most ideal after GA. I'm from DC and the cost of living/day care, etc. is still way too fresh in my mind   :(

ha, well close. i'm straight out of UG. other than that we're pretty close though.
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011

loowho

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2008, 05:12:09 PM »
I'm trying to decide between GULC and GWU (and a few others, but they are irrelevant to this DC school comparison). I have 60k to GULC and 90k + 1 yr housing (total 103k) to GW. What should I do? I'm swayed by the larger scholarship amount to GW, but am wondering if the prestige factor for things like clerkships is reason enough to choose GULC (or one of the other T14 schools I'm looking at).

Furthermore, GULC wants to know by April 1st! Any help? PLEASE!!!!
In: Boalt, $$Duke, $$Northwestern, $$GULC, $Michigan,  $$GW, UW, Penn, UVa, $$USC
Pending:Stanford
Out:Harvard, Columbia :(

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
  • I feel like that Chihuahua.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2008, 05:45:21 PM »
I'm trying to decide between GULC and GWU (and a few others, but they are irrelevant to this DC school comparison). I have 60k to GULC and 90k + 1 yr housing (total 103k) to GW. What should I do? I'm swayed by the larger scholarship amount to GW, but am wondering if the prestige factor for things like clerkships is reason enough to choose GULC (or one of the other T14 schools I'm looking at).

Furthermore, GULC wants to know by April 1st! Any help? PLEASE!!!!

First off, congrats!! Those are amazing opportunities. I think if you are interest in clerkships and things like that though, Georgetown is your better option. You will more than make up the gap in debt would your increased post-grad opportunities in my opinion.
GW '11?

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2008, 11:02:01 AM »
I finally got my awards letter back from GW. They mailed it to the wrong address. Anyway I did get a substantial need based grant so looks like I still won't make up my mind. Hopfeully visitng the 2 schools I'm considering will make my decision a little easier.

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2008, 11:03:22 AM »
Is anyone going to be at the reception in Philly this evening?
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2008, 11:22:12 AM »
Is anyone going to be at the reception in Philly this evening?

No, but I'm going to the one in NYC tomorrow evening.

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
  • I feel like that Chihuahua.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2008, 11:42:35 AM »
Insert Quote
I finally got my awards letter back from GW. They mailed it to the wrong address. Anyway I did get a substantial need based grant so looks like I still won't make up my mind. Hopfeully visitng the 2 schools I'm considering will make my decision a little easier.

I didn't expect to get anything and I did, so I am in the same boat. Where else are you considering?
GW '11?