Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GWU Class of 2011 (or just thinking about it)  (Read 15046 times)

sydneybristow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GWU Class of 2011 (or just thinking about it)
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2008, 02:54:01 PM »
I will potentially be in this same boat. But, I'm worried about being penalized by one or both schools by seat-depositing at both (there's another thread on here about multiple deposits and LSAC telling the schools which applicants are doing this). Nicole-are you going to W&M's ASW at the end of March?

I've seen that thread.. makes me slightly nervous, but GW may put us in a bind that forces us to make multiple deposits to make an informed decision. I definitely did not consider doing that before I got that email from Dean Richard. I was very excited about being decided by April 15!

And yup, I am definitely going to the ASW! Staying overnight with a 2L on Friday. How bout you?

I will definitely be there too! I'm signed up to stay w/a 1L Friday night, but I'll be in W'burg Thurs-Sat nights and booked a hotel (the Hospitality House), so I'm not sure it makes sense to cart myself back and forth just to stay w/a student one night. I'll have to figure that out soon! But I'm really looking forward to ASW - I visited W&M in Jan. and really liked it, but campus was pretty quiet, so I'm excited to see the law campus "in action" and meet everyone, etc. See you there!

sydneybristow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2008, 02:54:58 PM »
I think calling the schools is a really good idea. Are you going to the GW Admitted Student Reception in DC next week?

The one on the 25th? Yup, I should def be there, as long as I get out of work on time! Are you?

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
  • I feel like that Chihuahua.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2008, 02:57:18 PM »
Probably. I have class but I'll most likely leave early.
GW '11?

sydneybristow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2008, 03:01:10 PM »
Well right now, GW is my first choice, I have scholarship offers from other schools (W&M and GMU) that would make the COA roughly half of GW without any aid. Since I probably won't know about scholarship for GW until after April 15, I am thinking it may be best to make a deposit there and also at one of my scholarship options so I can evaluate GW based on the full picture. Bad logic?

I will potentially be in this same boat. But, I'm worried about being penalized by one or both schools by seat-depositing at both (there's another thread on here about multiple deposits and LSAC telling the schools which applicants are doing this). Nicole-are you going to W&M's ASW at the end of March?

Hold up, you're only supposed to place a deposit at one? what the frick. now i really have to choose b/w GW and WashU.

Not necessarily, but someone on the "Multipled Deposits" thread said that an admissions dean told him his offer would be revoked if the school found out he seat-deposited at multiple schools. i don't know the specifics, though. but if LSAC is doing this, it might be something the schools are seriously considering. i think it's different (ie acceptable) if you seat-deposit at ONE school b/c you're waitlisted at another. but 2 seat deposits...idk. but i would hate to withdraw from GW if there's a chance i might still get a merit scholarship...although $500 is a lot to put down on a "what if" chance. dunno if maybe it might be worth it to call the schools one is considering, explain the situation, and get their opinion?

Great. Time to commence my due diligence...

I know, ugh! I find it frustrating that the e-mail from Dean Richard said they might not be able to do more scholarship-wise until post-April 15 (although I do understand why they have to "hold" at this point)...b/c IMO the $500 deposit is a lot on the chance that one might get some $$ post-April 15. So it makes sense for people with a scholly offer at another school to put down 2 deposits, so they have the scholly backup in case GW doesn't come through. But if GW (or any other school) is going to get pissy b/c of multiple-depositing...then maybe it's not worth it. This is such a game.

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
  • I feel like that Chihuahua.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2008, 03:09:25 PM »
know, ugh! I find it frustrating that the e-mail from Dean Richard said they might not be able to do more scholarship-wise until post-April 15 (although I do understand why they have to "hold" at this point)...b/c IMO the $500 deposit is a lot on the chance that one might get some $$ post-April 15. So it makes sense for people with a scholly offer at another school to put down 2 deposits, so they have the scholly backup in case GW doesn't come through. But if GW (or any other school) is going to get pissy b/c of multiple-depositing...then maybe it's not worth it. This is such a game.

Ugh.. I know.. and not one that I want to play anymore. I am really at the point where I just want to know what I'm doing and prepare mentally for it.
GW '11?

sydneybristow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2008, 07:25:46 PM »
I know this is a moot point, and that I most likely will not be going to GW, but I just got my financial aid award (which GW so kindly mailed to me after "accidentally" mailing the original to my parents). A calculated Parent Contribution of $33k? I'd love to know how they came up with it. $33k is a little less than 1/2 of my parents' combined income. Seriously? Ironically enough, $33k is also just about the amount my parents still owe on the PLUS loan they took to help finance my undergrad...at GW! And my younger brother's still got to go to college, and my parents are alreay in their 60s! Go figure  :o

Its taken me a while...but I'm finally realizing that it ain't worth it.

sydneybristow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2008, 07:36:59 PM »
So you're going to GULC?? Hopefully they take me off the PT waitlist this summer. See you there! Perhaps...fingers x'd

Still up in the air pending a few imminently approaching school visits/ASWs...I'd say I'm mentally at 50% GULC, 50% W&L/Emory/W&M. But I really have grown to love GULC...

And I will definitely be keeping my fingers crossed for you at the GULC PT waitlist!  ;)

J.A.A.N.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2008, 09:11:55 PM »
FWIW...I went to an ASR reception this week in ATL and left with a pretty favorable impression of GW. I talked to about 8-10 alumni extensively and Dean Schooner (Academic Affairs), as well as other administrators. It was a great networking opp. and a great chance to see a sample of where GW alumni end up (pretty impressive for the majority). They all seemed pretty happy with their current careers. One woman in particular said she had chosen GW($) over GULC and was happy with her decision.

Again, I'm just sharing FWIW  ;)
(Just Adding Another Notch)

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2008, 09:20:16 PM »
FWIW...I went to an ASR reception this week in ATL and left with a pretty favorable impression of GW. I talked to about 8-10 alumni extensively and Dean Schooner (Academic Affairs), as well as other administrators. It was a great networking opp. and a great chance to see a sample of where GW alumni end up (pretty impressive for the majority). They all seemed pretty happy with their current careers. One woman in particular said she had chosen GW($) over GULC and was happy with her decision.

I agree with this. I was very impressed by the reception in my town. Dean Lawrence came and spoke and he was definitely someone I'd love to have running my law school. I just couldn't stomach the cost of it though. W&L will be much cheaper and provide fairly similar employment prospects (here come the trolls...). Lifestyle will be much different and better in my opinion. But to each their own of course.
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011

sydneybristow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2008, 09:25:36 PM »

I agree with this. I was very impressed by the reception in my town. Dean Lawrence came and spoke and he was definitely someone I'd love to have running my law school. I just couldn't stomach the cost of it though. W&L will be much cheaper and provide fairly similar employment prospects (here come the trolls...). Lifestyle will be much different and better in my opinion. But to each their own of course.

Dean Lawrence is incredibly nice and down to earth. I worked at GW Law's CDO when I was an undergrad, and I recently stopped by to talk to the career counselors I used to work for, and he happened to be around. They all told him about my GW acceptance, and he just started chatting away and telling me all about what GW has to offer and why I should come. Obviously that's his part of his job, but I was still kind of blown away that the Dean of the law school was, you know, right there, chatting away, like no big deal.

Also...I have the same thoughts entirely about W&L in terms of relative costs and similar job prospects. I'm looking to decide on the "lifestyle" point when I visit in a few days.