Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GWU Class of 2011 (or just thinking about it)  (Read 15096 times)

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
  • I feel like that Chihuahua.
    • View Profile
Re: GWU Class of 2011 (or just thinking about it)
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2008, 10:47:13 PM »
This seems to be a common thing.  The email from AR was my second such email of the day.  I wonder if the FinAid offices are tired of "show me the money" phone calls

That is understandable I guess. It just makes it seriously difficult to make an educated decision...

.. and the moral of this story is withdraw people!
GW '11?

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2008, 12:01:08 AM »
It makes a lot of sense that they are waiting. They'll prob just try to pass out the money they already offered to other people who withdraw. But like I've said before, I've only seen people getting large scholarship offers from GW. Maybe they can give smaller scholarships to the rest of us once they pass them up...I hope. But doesn't it suck that the deposit for GW is $500...

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2008, 01:05:23 PM »
Has anyone contacted Dean Richards about increasing their merit aid offer?  GW would be a great option for me, but I can't justify going there over a full ride at WUSTL or $60,000 at UVa?
Michigan 2L

jnb983

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2008, 01:22:28 PM »
It makes a lot of sense that they are waiting. They'll prob just try to pass out the money they already offered to other people who withdraw. But like I've said before, I've only seen people getting large scholarship offers from GW. Maybe they can give smaller scholarships to the rest of us once they pass them up...I hope. But doesn't it suck that the deposit for GW is $500...

Yeah pretty damn expensive first deposit.  Is this the highest any school requires?

No, Northwestern's is $750.
yo: Gtown($$), RU-C($), GW($), UIUC($$), Northwestern($)
no-go: Berkeley, H, Y, UChi
so-so: Fordham, Mich, UCLA, Columbia, Vandy, UVA, Penn, NYU 

el ess en

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2008, 02:19:00 PM »
Looks like I'll probably be making multiple deposits. Ick.
GW '11?

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2008, 02:31:45 PM »
Well right now, GW is my first choice, I have scholarship offers from other schools (W&M and GMU) that would make the COA roughly half of GW without any aid. Since I probably won't know about scholarship for GW until after April 15, I am thinking it may be best to make a deposit there and also at one of my scholarship options so I can evaluate GW based on the full picture. Bad logic?
GW '11?

sydneybristow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2008, 02:43:24 PM »
Well right now, GW is my first choice, I have scholarship offers from other schools (W&M and GMU) that would make the COA roughly half of GW without any aid. Since I probably won't know about scholarship for GW until after April 15, I am thinking it may be best to make a deposit there and also at one of my scholarship options so I can evaluate GW based on the full picture. Bad logic?

I will potentially be in this same boat. But, I'm worried about being penalized by one or both schools by seat-depositing at both (there's another thread on here about multiple deposits and LSAC telling the schools which applicants are doing this). Nicole-are you going to W&M's ASW at the end of March?

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2008, 02:48:59 PM »
I will potentially be in this same boat. But, I'm worried about being penalized by one or both schools by seat-depositing at both (there's another thread on here about multiple deposits and LSAC telling the schools which applicants are doing this). Nicole-are you going to W&M's ASW at the end of March?

I've seen that thread.. makes me slightly nervous, but GW may put us in a bind that forces us to make multiple deposits to make an informed decision. I definitely did not consider doing that before I got that email from Dean Richard. I was very excited about being decided by April 15!

And yup, I am definitely going to the ASW! Staying overnight with a 2L on Friday. How bout you?
GW '11?

sydneybristow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2008, 02:51:01 PM »

Hold up, you're only supposed to place a deposit at one? what the frick. now i really have to choose b/w GW and WashU.

Not necessarily, but someone on the "Multipled Deposits" thread said that an admissions dean told him his offer would be revoked if the school found out he seat-deposited at multiple schools. i don't know the specifics, though. but if LSAC is doing this, it might be something the schools are seriously considering. i think it's different (ie acceptable) if you seat-deposit at ONE school b/c you're waitlisted at another. but 2 seat deposits...idk. but i would hate to withdraw from GW if there's a chance i might still get a merit scholarship...although $500 is a lot to put down on a "what if" chance. dunno if maybe it might be worth it to call the schools one is considering, explain the situation, and get their opinion?

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2008, 02:53:19 PM »
I think calling the schools is a really good idea. Are you going to the GW Admitted Student Reception in DC next week?
GW '11?