Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GWU Class of 2011 (or just thinking about it)  (Read 14646 times)

The Nicker

• View Profile
Re: GWU Class of 2011 (or just thinking about it)
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2008, 01:40:51 PM »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news on these boards, but my EFC was 0 and I received my need-based aid on Saturday: $63,800 a year, all in loans. Max Stafford's and the rest GradPlus. I've got no merit-based either, so I'm looking at about $200,000 coming out if I want GW, and this is from somebody who wants to do public interest right away (envisioning denying grandkids an ice cream cone because I gotta make that loan payment).

Perhaps you saw it on my LSN, but there are probably more like me . . .

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2008, 02:53:13 PM »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news on these boards, but my EFC was 0 and I received my need-based aid on Saturday: $63,800 a year, all in loans. Max Stafford's and the rest GradPlus. I've got no merit-based either, so I'm looking at about $200,000 coming out if I want GW, and this is from somebody who wants to do public interest right away (envisioning denying grandkids an ice cream cone because I gotta make that loan payment).

That sucks. How destitute do you have to be to qualify for need based aid? This is making me nervous. So far all I have heard of people receiving is loans.

yoshimi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2008, 06:17:22 PM »
Just FYI I got my merit-based scholarship letter today. It's 20000/yr with 1st yr free housing, sounds pretty attractive to me...plus I don't have any other decent choice so I c myself pretty likely end up in GWU...

jnb983

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2008, 12:58:58 AM »

Wow.  I thought my package was the pits until I saw this.  Although, I am a little confused: my total budget, before grants and loans, was only $62,800, while Nicker's loans totaled 1K higher.  Do they figure different costs for different people?

That sucks. How destitute do you have to be to qualify for need based aid? This is making me nervous. So far all I have heard of people receiving is loans.

My FAFSA EFC was not $0 and I still got a need grant.  It may depend more on your family's overall finances; my expected parent contribution for GW was 0.
yo: Gtown($$), RU-C($), GW($), UIUC($$), Northwestern($)
no-go: Berkeley, H, Y, UChi
so-so: Fordham, Mich, UCLA, Columbia, Vandy, UVA, Penn, NYU 

el ess en

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2008, 01:59:50 PM »
My FAFSA EFC was 0 and I also said that I don't expect any contribution from my family because unfortunately I do not have anyone to help me pay for school. I'm just really nervous to take out a ton of loans.

Has anyone been having any luck with housing in DC? Even though I'm not sure where I'm going yet I have started looking for apartments online. It seems like a cheaper option would be to live in the Arlington area and commute. Is this area generally safe? I'm thinking of living closer to the Rosslyn and Courthouse metros.

The Nicker

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2008, 04:03:31 PM »

Wow.  I thought my package was the pits until I saw this.  Although, I am a little confused: my total budget, before grants and loans, was only $62,800, while Nicker's loans totaled 1K higher.  Do they figure different costs for different people?

My FAFSA EFC was not $0 and I still got a need grant.  It may depend more on your family's overall finances; my expected parent contribution for GW was 0.

JNB is right. Although my parents are not helping me with law school tuition they have enough money to conceivably do this if they wanted. GW is definitely holding this against me, consider this a good thing as you await your need package.

sydneybristow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2008, 03:43:55 PM »
I just got my financial aid award...or, more accurately, my parents got it. why? b/c gw sent my award letter to my parents' address. despite the fact that i NEVER used my parents address on ANY of my GW application materials.

i e-mailed the financial aid office today to check on the status, and was told that the letter was mailed "over a week ago." problem is, i live in DC. i knew i should have already received it. i wrote back, and was then told it was sent to another address - my parents address. why? b/c i went to gw undergrad (but graduated 2 years ago), and apparently "the system" effed up. oh nice. that was their response.

i've been waiting for this letter, and my parents got it two days ago - and didn't tell me. yeah i'm pissed at my parents for that, but also pissed at gw for letting it happen. my parents had/have no role in my law school admissions process. this is all me. they had no right to see that or any other admissions-related mailing for that matter. i would have had the letter last week had gw sent it directly to me.

and i would have known last week that gw = all loans. i'm slowly getting over being upset - gw was my first choice, where i really wanted to be. but now that i know the situation, combined with some amazing scholarship opportunities at schools that apparently really like me (and for which i'm very grateful), i can't justify going to gw at full price. oh well! at least now i know.  :-\ i'm so over all of this right now.

sydneybristow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2008, 03:53:47 PM »
Just go to GULC. Rent a cool crib on U Street, and enjoy the savory fries at Ben's Chili Bowl :)

For some reason, reading this just brightened my day - thanks  :)

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
  • I feel like that Chihuahua.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2008, 05:41:38 PM »
Sorry sydney! But you have a ton of other great options!

What do you guys think about the email the sent out today saying that they may not give more merit scholarships til after the April 15 seat deposit deadline?? That sounds like it could really have a negative impact on prospectives' decisions..
GW '11?

jnb983

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2008, 07:42:56 PM »
Sorry sydney! But you have a ton of other great options!

What do you guys think about the email the sent out today saying that they may not give more merit scholarships til after the April 15 seat deposit deadline?? That sounds like it could really have a negative impact on prospectives' decisions..

This seems to be a common thing.  The email from AR was my second such email of the day.  I wonder if the FinAid offices are tired of "show me the money" phone calls

Since many people are guilty of holding scholarships at more than one school, the rest of us have to wait until they make up their minds.  Not that they don't have the right to hold on as long as they need to, but I think some people hold on to money from schools they know deep down they will never attend.  Which sucks for those who are waiting.
yo: Gtown($$), RU-C($), GW($), UIUC($$), Northwestern($)
no-go: Berkeley, H, Y, UChi
so-so: Fordham, Mich, UCLA, Columbia, Vandy, UVA, Penn, NYU 

el ess en