Law School Discussion

GWU Class of 2011 (or just thinking about it)

Re: GWU Class of 2011 (or just thinking about it)
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2008, 07:55:02 AM »
Where would you go if not GW?

At this point Vandy bc they gave me a pretty big scholarship or Texas. But I'm actually still waiting on quite a few decisions so anything can change.

Go with Vandy or Texas. At least they dominate their own regions. The only reason to go to GW is if you get a full ride. The cost of living here in DC is insane. TN and TX are a lot cheaper.

This is true but I know I want to do government work in DC so passing up going to school in the area is not something I'm going to do easily. But at the end of the day I def don't think GW is worth full price when I have 2 other schools that are just as good if not better offering me money. I guess that's why I'm waiting for my financial aid. If they give me a good amount of need based aid I'll still seriously consider going but if not then I will not be there in the fall. I cannot justify taking out over $120,000 in loans when Vandy is basically paying half my tuition.

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2008, 07:58:12 AM »

At this point Vandy bc they gave me a pretty big scholarship or Texas. But I'm actually still waiting on quite a few decisions so anything can change.

Go with Vandy or Texas. At least they dominate their own regions. The only reason to go to GW is if you get a full ride. The cost of living here in DC is insane. TN and TX are a lot cheaper.

This is true but I know I want to do government work in DC so passing up going to school in the area is not something I'm going to do easily. But at the end of the day I def don't think GW is worth full price when I have 2 other schools that are just as good if not better offering me money. I guess that's why I'm waiting for my financial aid. If they give me a good amount of need based aid I'll still seriously consider going but if not then I will not be there in the fall. I cannot justify taking out over $120,000 in loans when Vandy is basically paying half my tuition.

I'm in the same/a similar boat. Perhaps I'm impatient, but I just want to know about need-based $$ (or lack thereof) from GW ASAP... :-\

jnb983

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2008, 08:08:38 AM »

I have the same problem.  I really really like DC, but I doubt I'll be going to school there without money.  Judging by the stats of people who've been given offers so far from GW, the money is going to those with very high GPAs.

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2008, 08:26:03 AM »
I've also noticed that most of the money is going to people with higher GPAs. I haven't really noticed anyone getting anything other than full tuition and the $60,000 and first year housing. Are these the only amounts GW offers?

I really want to be in DC as well. For one it's probably where I'll end up practicing (or nearby) and it's also closer to my home compared to the other schools im considering. Also I've been in a long distance relationship for almost 3 yrs and DC would be a lot closer while all of the other schools would put more space between us then we already have. But I told my bf I am not going to go into a ton of debt so we can be near each other. And I could prob still get into the DC market from Vandy. It's so hard making decisions....

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2008, 11:51:14 AM »
Yeah it really is about time they start giving out more merit aid and need-based grants.  We don't have forever, and no one in our situation is going to pay their seat deposit if they haven't given SOMETHING out.  I see no reason to go to GW for full sticker if 1/3 my tuition is paid by a higher-ranked school.  If I wanted to pay $40+K/yr in tuition and the exorbitant DC CoL, I would've stayed on GULC's WL.

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2008, 10:15:52 AM »
Any word on need-based grant notification...?

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2008, 10:21:07 AM »

Someone on TLS received their package.  All loans. 

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2008, 11:09:49 AM »

Someone on TLS received their package.  All loans. 

Thanks! I'm really hoping to hear soon, even if it is all loans - would make things more "real" in terms of decision-making.

nicole1220

• I feel like that Chihuahua.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2008, 11:00:41 AM »
I am contemplating calling to check up on the status of my need-based aid. Don't wanna be a pain but it really is time to start deciding! Thoughts on this idea?

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2008, 08:05:39 PM »
I am contemplating calling to check up on the status of my need-based aid. Don't wanna be a pain but it really is time to start deciding! Thoughts on this idea?

Send an e-mail to your fin aid contact (they are assigned by last name). That's what I did and she gave me a time frame of when to expect my awards letter. Now I'm just waiting to see if her time frame was accurate...