Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD v. UC Hastings  (Read 2256 times)

rugbygal

• View Profile
USD v. UC Hastings
« on: February 17, 2008, 08:08:04 PM »
I could really use some help making my decision. Here is my situation. I was accepted to both University of San Diego and Hastings. I have a $17,000 scholarship for the first year at USD, and so far nothing from Hastings.  I have also read that Hastings doesn't offer scholarships over about $8500, although I am not positive about this fact.  I am also out of state, so I would be paying out of state tuition at Hastings for the first year and hopefully in state for the last 2.  Overall, this would make tuition at Hastings slightly lower than USD, but cost of living in SF would probably make it more expensive than USD in the long run.  Quality of life is a big issue for me. I am moving out there with my SO who will be finishing his masters in Electrical and Comp. Engineering in August, so he should have no trouble finding a job in either city ( I assume).  Both of us would prefer to live in San Diego, but are ok with living in SF for at most 4-5 years.  We're pretty much over big city living and are looking for something more relaxed.  Living by the ocean and in perfect weather in SD is a big pull. In addition, I have no desire to enter Big Law. I am hoping to get involved with juvenile law, or work for a non profit related to the juvenile justice system.  As you can tell, I would prefer to go to San Diego, but am concerned that this would be a huge mistake since Hastings is ranked much higher, more well known, and more respected.  Money is also a big concern of mine, especially since I have no plans to get Big Law.  Hastings has a great loan repayment program.  USD has a loan repayment program as well, but hardly compares. Im thinking of asking USD to increase their scholarship offer.  Do you think they would do this based solely on my acceptance to Hastings without a scholarship offer?
Sorry for rambling for so long. I'm just looking to see what other people would do in my position.  Any insight would really help since none of my friends or family have ever gone through this process.   

RockShox007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: USD v. UC Hastings
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 02:35:07 AM »
For your career goals, do whatever ends up being less expensive

newyorker1987

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 03:00:24 AM »
Have you considered UC Davis Law (King Hall)? I have a couple of friends who were in the top 1/3 that got clerk and biglaw offers in CA. They had no connections to the west coast too! Plus the tuition at UC's are relatively cheap.

newyorker1987

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 03:56:00 AM »
A good friend of mine last year chose USD over Hastings and BC. We all thought he was crazy. Since that time, I have met 3 other people who also chose USD over Hastings. I personally would choose Hastings, but these people cited quality of life and a more relaxed, less competitive academic atmosphere as the reasons they went to USD. Also, USD is the best law school in San Diego, so they dominate the legal market down there (there is a saying that for SD's tight-knit legal community, USD is really better than Harvard... probably an exaggeration, but I do know a USC grad (who also got into Penn law) who wished she had gone to USD instead, citing how difficult it was to get a job in SD as an outsider.

So if you want to work in SD, USD may be the better choice. BTW, I also got $17,000 offered at my first year at USD. Looks like we are numbers buddies or something haha.

Very true. I've heard the same thing about USD. It basically owns San Diego.

thelawman

• View Profile
    • numbers
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 04:22:56 AM »
with your goals in mind sd sounds like a no brainer and you just want to use hastings to increase your leverage with sd

am i right?

credo

• Sr. Citizen
  • This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 06:21:31 AM »
If you look at the numbers Big Law firms with offices in San Diego tend to employ more USD grads in their SD offices than grads from other higher ranked schools. I looked at MoFo, Paul Hastings, Best Best Krieger, and Pillsbury (which has 2 San Diego offices).

HOWEVER their USD JDs are largely limited to their San Diego offices while they employ more grads from higher ranked law schools (Including UC Hastings) throughout their offices overall.

It also bears considering that San Diego has waaay fewer Big Law offices/firms in general than say LA or SF so very few USD grads overall are working in Big Law.  You also have to consider self selection (how many grads from higher ranked schools actually apply to USD firms or request to work in USD offices of the bigger firms).

Since you say you arent interested in Big Law and seem set on living in San Diego then USD is certainly a good choice. IF you leave the San Diego area though a Hastings JD will give you more opportunities.

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 12:10:23 PM »
If QoL is important, pick USD

StressCase

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 12:46:06 PM »
Just remember, SD isn't cheap either... Esp anything decent in Mission Valley (where USD is).
In: Miami, Baylor, U of A, San Diego, Santa Clara, Tulane, American, McGeorge, Lewis and Clark, University of Houston, CU Boulder, DAVIS!!!
WL:Fordham, Hastings
Out: BC, George Mason, UCLA, GW

GPA 3.5
LSAT 163

Islander59

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 05:09:33 PM »
A good friend of mine last year chose USD over Hastings and BC. We all thought he was crazy. Since that time, I have met 3 other people who also chose USD over Hastings. I personally would choose Hastings, but these people cited quality of life and a more relaxed, less competitive academic atmosphere as the reasons they went to USD. Also, USD is the best law school in San Diego, so they dominate the legal market down there (there is a saying that for SD's tight-knit legal community, USD is really better than Harvard... probably an exaggeration, but I do know a USC grad (who also got into Penn law) who wished she had gone to USD instead, citing how difficult it was to get a job in SD as an outsider.

So if you want to work in SD, USD may be the better choice. BTW, I also got $17,000 offered at my first year at USD. Looks like we are numbers buddies or something haha.

Good info thanks!
Bench: 225 x 26, 4.74 40yrds
NFL or Law School? probably Law School since i've never played football before

Longest Cycle Ever.

hastingsOK2008

• View Profile
New Ranking 2008 Hastings 38th Davis 44th
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 07:24:23 PM »
Hastings >>>Davis