Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UVa vs. Georgetown vs. UPenn  (Read 4388 times)

tl1223

• View Profile
UVa vs. Georgetown vs. UPenn
« on: February 17, 2008, 06:08:39 PM »
Been accepted to all three, any thoughts on where to go?

loowho

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UVa vs. Georgetown vs. UPenn
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:03:53 PM »
If you figure out the answer, let me know :)
In: Boalt, $$Duke, $$Northwestern, $$GULC, $Michigan,  $$GW, UW, Penn, UVa, $$USC
Pending:Stanford
Out:Harvard, Columbia :(

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 11:06:13 PM »
I'd wait for money and ASWs.  Hard choice.  Do you have a particular preference for any of the three's location?
CLS 2011.  All done.

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 11:35:52 AM »
Well, all three are great schools, so congrats and good luck!

I know there is Penn hatred abound on these boards, but I think Penn is the best choice.  As far as NY placement, it beats GULC, and I would imagine places as well if not better than UVa.  Penn's DC placement seems well represented too, but it may be the least of the three for that market (GULC is THERE and Uva has a strong presence).

I liked Penn enough to apply ED because of the small class size, interdisciplinary studies (I am a non-trad [UG and Grad degrees in music]), and solid national placement.

Honestly?  I think you will be fine with any of the three.

stardb02

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 03:32:32 PM »
I agree with the previous post.  I am a current student at UVA and really could not be happier with my choice.  As far as career options go, I do not believe you'll find much difference in the 3 schools, other than perhaps slight variations in the markets that are closest to each school. 

If it's me, my choice b/w those schools comes down to what kind of lifestyle I want in law school, and what I want in my surroundings.  Want to live and work in downtown Philly?  Want to metro to class every day in DC, and be blocks away from the supreme court?  Or, want to live in C'ville, a true college town that results in a pretty relaxed environment where almost no one here at the law school takes themselves too seriously. 

Softball, Feb Club, weekly kegs at the law school, Libel Show, etc...even if none of these defining events of UVA law appeal to you, well, they at least indicate that EVERYONE takes time to do something they find fun....which means that very few people kill themselves for the sake of grades, which means you can do well and come out with a great job while having thoroughly enjoyed your law school experience. 

Anyhow, that's my pitch...happy to answer further questions if you got 'em.

thelawman

• View Profile
    • numbers
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 04:45:01 AM »
you have very envialbe probelms

loowho

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 05:25:10 PM »
I'm highly interested in two of these schools, and I have to say money will probably decide. I'm not sure what other way to do it.
In: Boalt, $$Duke, $$Northwestern, $$GULC, $Michigan,  $$GW, UW, Penn, UVa, $$USC
Pending:Stanford
Out:Harvard, Columbia :(

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 10:17:22 PM »
Penn (as in not Upenn)    ;)
--
"And that is what is so great about the Internet. It enables pompous blowhards to connect with other pompous blowhards in a vast circle-jerk of pomposity."

-Bill Maher