Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted to Temple!  (Read 5502 times)

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Accepted to Temple!
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 12:20:06 PM »
What about life in Philly? Crime? Entertainment? Weather? I'm from Texas, considering a move to PA... it is rather intimidating!

I'm originally from Kansas & prior to moving to Philly had only visited for two days. Temple's campus is very safe. The campus is near some pretty rough parts but statistically the  it's as safe as any other campus and suffers from the same problems other college campus' suffer. I ride my bike to class every day and ride straight through the "ghetto" and have not found in at all intimidating. Also, the law school is right next to the subway stop and the majority of students take the subway to class.

The city of Philly itself does suffer from a fairly high crime rate, but most of the heavy *&^% is contained within areas where you wouldn't be living or visiting. There is a lot of gun violence and you read it in the news everyday, but it's gang violence, drug violence, and violence within the various communities (primarily North Philly & West Philly - party of the city where you will never go). Other than the isolated gun violence, Philly has the same crime threats as any other city and most of the neighborhoods where you would live are safe and I think the biggest problem you would face is having your car broken into. It's pretty common to see a car with a busted window on the side of the street and I would always make sure to take anything of value out of your car when you park it on the street overnight.

There's a lot to do entertainment wise. I'm a big music fan and there's always a good show going on somewhere. Lot's of bars, a good sports town, museums, theater, etc. It's a major city, lots of action, and in addition you've got NYC, D.C., and Boston a short train ride away.

Weather is cold during the winter and hot/humid as hell during the summer. Much colder than Texas and much more humid. Having said that, I've managed to ride my bike everyday through the winter so it hasn't manage to get that cold.

"I would make it my business to be a third wheel."

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2008, 02:50:33 PM »

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2008, 03:02:03 PM »
Don't forget to take the Temple challenge!

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,99398.0.html

I don't know of anyone that's had a problem finding a job aside form those people that haven't tried to get a job and those that did terribly academically. Also, Temple's OCI is not limited to the top 10-15% and is open to everyone. It's true that Temple might not be for you if you're seeking nothing but $$$$, but coming out of Temple with good-moderate performance will get you a quality job with good pay. Like anything, if you work hard and take some initiative you'll be successful.

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2008, 03:07:55 PM »
Don't forget to take the Temple challenge!

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,99398.0.html

I don't know of anyone that's had a problem finding a job aside form those people that haven't tried to get a job and those that did terribly academically. Also, Temple's OCI is not limited to the top 10-15% and is open to everyone. It's true that Temple might not be for you if you're seeking nothing but $$$$, but coming out of Temple with good-moderate performance will get you a quality job with good pay. Like anything, if you work hard and take some initiative you'll be successful.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,99398.msg2629107.html#msg2629107

Dizzle

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ahhsprewyou
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2008, 10:55:12 AM »
What about life in Philly? Crime? Entertainment? Weather? I'm from Texas, considering a move to PA... it is rather intimidating!
(primarily North Philly & West Philly - party of the city where you will never go). Other than the isolated gun violence, Philly has the same crime threats as any other city and most of the neighborhoods where you would live are safe

Just to let you know, Temple is in North Philly.

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2008, 11:11:15 PM »
Just to let you know, Temple is in North Philly.

Yes it is, but the infamous gun violence of North Philly is quite a bit further North than Temple. I should also point out that Penn is in West Philly and it's arguably more dangerous over that direction . . . yet nobody seems to worry about Penn's location? 

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2008, 12:35:35 PM »
In at Temple with a big red folder.

Does $$ info come with this packet?  If it did, I'm SOL as far as scholarships go. 

Anyone ever have any luck requesting money from a school that doesn't offer any?
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2008, 01:57:40 PM »

Does $$ info come with this packet?  If it did, I'm SOL as far as scholarships go. 

Anyone ever have any luck requesting money from a school that doesn't offer any?

My acceptance did come with scholarship info.  :\
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2008, 12:33:08 PM »

My acceptance did come with scholarship info.  :\

Same here.   :-\

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2008, 03:59:38 PM »
Well, rats!
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson