Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted to Temple!  (Read 5582 times)

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Accepted to Temple!
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 06:48:28 PM »
Good grief.  I hope this is the only way you take out your aggression--I cringe for your girlfriend.  I actually have spoken with nearly thirty young associates at big firms.  In fact, my brother is in his third year with Goodwin Proctor and I've spoken with him ad nauseam and there are actually quite a few misconceptions about biglaw.  First and foremost, the hours are not nearly as ungodly as you seem to assume.  Sure there are those weeks from hell with all-nighters, but for the most part, the hours usually hover from 60 to 65 hours a week.  In regard to being someone's butt-kisser for 6 years...wouldn't you "suffer" with boring work where no one cares about you for a few years if it meant you could spend the next forty making seven figures with slaves of your own?  I hope you have a wonderful life using your degree as a tool for social change as you return to your rat-hole every night.

Only 60-65 hours a week? My god, taking into account commuting and all the miscellaneous activities that one undertakes in their daily lives and assuming 8 hours of sleep you'd have upwards of twenty free hours per week!!! This will almost give you enough time to get to know the names of your children and @#!* your wife every now and again.

As for money, it doesn't do a whole lot for me and I think I'll do fine considering I have minimal debt and my wife is also successful. A high income and the potential for unscrupulous product consumption certainly would make me feel better about myself and help me forget about my own pathetic existence. However, the therapeutic value of material objects has its' limitations.   

I'm going to go see Daniel Johnston now.
"I would make it my business to be a third wheel."

SouVitor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 08:09:01 PM »
hopefully the flame is gone and I can ask a very general & open question...

What, in your opinion are the best, the worst, and the most irritating things about Temple law? 

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 10:44:27 PM »
What, in your opinion are the best, the worst, and the most irritating things about Temple law?

Best: thus far the quality of teaching has been outstanding and most professors focus on teaching in a very practice-oriented manner. The student body is also great and there's not the hyper-competitive atmosphere that I expected to encounter. Also the reception you get around the city when you tell someone you go to Temple Law. Everyone you run into knows somebody that went to Temple law and all of my interviews for summer positions included at least one person from Temple. Also has a great public interest program with all sorts of potential for networking and getting involved in that area and as a West Coast transplant I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of living in Philly.

Worst: at this point I can't say there's anything specifically bad about Temple Law, but I can comment on law school in general. Book prices are ridiculous and then you add onto that the fact that you'll probably end up buying additional study aids for some classes and you end up throwing a good chunk of your scholarship to Thompson Publishing. Also, on the topic of scholarships, from what I understand most of the scholarships are renewable for top 50% finish and they give scholarships of some sort or another to well over 50% of the student body. Inevitably some people are going to lose their scholarships no matter how hard they try. This is not, however, specific to Temple. Finally, the one test determines your entire grade is archaic and meritless. To counter this you must keep up on the reading, keep up on outlining your notes as you go along, and be sure to meet with your professors to figure out what type of analysis they expect on the exam because you only get one chance.

Annoying:: I am easily annoyed, so there are several things I can list. (1) Internet access can be spotty in the nether reaches of the library and some people get annoyed by this. I however enjoy it because I can go to these nether reaches and study without being tempted to check the internet. (2) The library is very loud. I don't know if this is a law school phenomena in general or what, but people seem to have no respect for the fact that they're in a library. Even the librarians talk to each other without regard for their noise level. There are plenty of quiet spots to hide, but these tend to be in the aforementioned nether regions of the Library. (3) the classrooms are either really cold or really hot; (4) you have to show your ID to get into the building (at least until they get to know you) and this gets a bit annoying.(5) the building design is a death trap. You have to walk around it during busy times to appreciate how terrible the design is but it seems like it was designed by M.C. Escher. If class were in session and a fire broke out I am confident that every single person in that building would die. (6) the law school building sits right on Broad Street which is the main thoroughfare through the city of Philadelphia. Sometimes you want to walk out the law school building and go directly across the street, but to do this would mean risking your life, so instead you have to walk down to the crosswalk. (7) no good pizza in Philadelphia.   

natilaw2008

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 03:40:34 AM »

Best: thus far the quality of teaching has been outstanding and most professors focus on teaching in a very practice-oriented manner. The student body is also great and there's not the hyper-competitive atmosphere that I expected to encounter. Also the reception you get around the city when you tell someone you go to Temple Law. Everyone you run into knows somebody that went to Temple law and all of my interviews for summer positions included at least one person from Temple. Also has a great public interest program with all sorts of potential for networking and getting involved in that area and as a West Coast transplant I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of living in Philly.

Worst: at this point I can't say there's anything specifically bad about Temple Law, but I can comment on law school in general. Book prices are ridiculous and then you add onto that the fact that you'll probably end up buying additional study aids for some classes and you end up throwing a good chunk of your scholarship to Thompson Publishing. Also, on the topic of scholarships, from what I understand most of the scholarships are renewable for top 50% finish and they give scholarships of some sort or another to well over 50% of the student body. Inevitably some people are going to lose their scholarships no matter how hard they try. This is not, however, specific to Temple. Finally, the one test determines your entire grade is archaic and meritless. To counter this you must keep up on the reading, keep up on outlining your notes as you go along, and be sure to meet with your professors to figure out what type of analysis they expect on the exam because you only get one chance.

Annoying:: I am easily annoyed, so there are several things I can list. (1) Internet access can be spotty in the nether reaches of the library and some people get annoyed by this. I however enjoy it because I can go to these nether reaches and study without being tempted to check the internet. (2) The library is very loud. I don't know if this is a law school phenomena in general or what, but people seem to have no respect for the fact that they're in a library. Even the librarians talk to each other without regard for their noise level. There are plenty of quiet spots to hide, but these tend to be in the aforementioned nether regions of the Library. (3) the classrooms are either really cold or really hot; (4) you have to show your ID to get into the building (at least until they get to know you) and this gets a bit annoying.(5) the building design is a death trap. You have to walk around it during busy times to appreciate how terrible the design is but it seems like it was designed by M.C. Escher. If class were in session and a fire broke out I am confident that every single person in that building would die. (6) the law school building sits right on Broad Street which is the main thoroughfare through the city of Philadelphia. Sometimes you want to walk out the law school building and go directly across the street, but to do this would mean risking your life, so instead you have to walk down to the crosswalk. (7) no good pizza in Philadelphia.   

Worst: Big Law opportunities sucked away by UPENN and t-14.

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 12:29:14 PM »
I'm trying to find some information on Philadelphia Biglaw... how do the salaries compare to NYC biglaw?

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
I'm trying to find some information on Philadelphia Biglaw... how do the salaries compare to NYC biglaw?

Around $135,000 for Philly, not sure about New York. As an aside, if you're only in it for the money then I don't recommend law school because there are no guarantees no matter how smart you think you are. Additionally, the people I've met who took big firm jobs based on $$$ alone absolutely hate their lives and are going to leave the second their loans are paid off. If all you want is $$$ there are many easier, cheaper, more assured ways to make it.

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 09:45:30 PM »
Like what?

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 11:40:06 PM »
Like what?

Pharmaceutical sales, commercial airline pilot, engineer (any type really), architect, dentist, financial consultant, optometrist, podiatrist, railroad tycoon, and celebrity.

Physician/Surgeon doesn't make the list because nobody that wants to be or is considering to be a lawyer has any business going to med school. 

mm1405

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2008, 08:56:27 AM »
What about life in Philly? Crime? Entertainment? Weather? I'm from Texas, considering a move to PA... it is rather intimidating!
158/3.84, Master's Degree, Paralegal for 1 year

IN: Baylor (Spring 09), Penn State Dickinson,
OUT: UT
WL/WD: Temple, Rutgers-Camden
Pending: Houston, SMU

Dizzle

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ahhsprewyou
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 01:25:47 PM »
Philly is awesome.

I'm still waiting on my acceptance to Temple. Grrr...