Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted to Temple!  (Read 5657 times)

SouVitor

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Accepted to Temple!
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 08:31:15 PM »
In @ Temple with full tuition!  Seriously thinking about the school and the more I learn about the school, more likely I am to enroll this fall.

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 09:45:22 PM »
I'm currently a 1L at Temple. I turned down many "higher ranked" schools to attend Temple because they provided me with the best $$$$$:quality ratio. It's a great school and so far I am completely satisfied with my education and the entire experience. Don't get caught up in putting too much emphasis on the rankings because in the end they are pretty meaningless. If you work hard here you'll more than likely be successful, you'll get a good job, and you'll have minimal debt and the less debt you have the more open your career options will be after graduating.

Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try to answer them.
"I would make it my business to be a third wheel."

sandlot247

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 10:17:08 AM »
Also in w/full tuition at Temple.  I am leaning heavily toward taking the money unless GWU throws a lot of money my way. 
Temple Law 2011

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 12:53:41 PM »
I'm currently a 1L at Temple and will answer any questions if you've got them. Personally, I turned down several offers from "higher ranked" schools in favor of Temple because I determined Temple offered the best cost/quality ratio. I personally don't think it's worth going into huge debt for something so uncertain as a law degree. Thus far I am extremely pleased with Temple and have no complaints aside from the temperature in the classrooms. I had a pretty good first semester grade-wise, not great, and I had no trouble landing interviews for summer positions. Temple is very well recognized around Philly and is without a doubt the most respected school in the area (UPENN Aside). There are people who get biglaw jobs in NYC and other regional cities, but I have no desire for that type of work and I can't say I know what their grades were, but I assume they were at or near the top of the class. Having said that, there are absolutely no guarantees that you are going to finish at or near the top, no matter how smart you think you are or how hard you're willing to work. The skills that set the top students apart are intangible and cannot be recognized prior the law school experience. All of your classmates are smart, they all work hard, and they all want to finish at the top. However, if you do work hard you will be able to do well enough to maintain a scholarship and get a "good" job. For me a "good job" does not entail a large firm, does not entail working 90 hours a week, and certainly doesn't entail wiping someones ass for 6 years.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions if you've got them.

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 01:32:52 PM »
Any advice/comments on becoming an in-state student?  Know anyone who's done it?
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 03:33:29 PM »
Any advice/comments on becoming an in-state student?  Know anyone who's done it?

I'm an out of stater and inquired about in state and they they said it's a fairly subjective process. They take into account various things, but most importantly property ownership in the state or if you have a job lined up in the state of PA after graduation then they will consider you for in-state tuition.

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 03:44:26 PM »
What if I move with my wife, and she gets a job as a teacher in PA?

(I know this is getting mighty specific, but I thought I'd ask).
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

Phineas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 05:13:59 PM »
I'm currently a 1L at Temple and will answer any questions if you've got them. Personally, I turned down several offers from "higher ranked" schools in favor of Temple because I determined Temple offered the best cost/quality ratio. I personally don't think it's worth going into huge debt for something so uncertain as a law degree. Thus far I am extremely pleased with Temple and have no complaints aside from the temperature in the classrooms. I had a pretty good first semester grade-wise, not great, and I had no trouble landing interviews for summer positions. Temple is very well recognized around Philly and is without a doubt the most respected school in the area (UPENN Aside). There are people who get biglaw jobs in NYC and other regional cities, but I have no desire for that type of work and I can't say I know what their grades were, but I assume they were at or near the top of the class. Having said that, there are absolutely no guarantees that you are going to finish at or near the top, no matter how smart you think you are or how hard you're willing to work. The skills that set the top students apart are intangible and cannot be recognized prior the law school experience. All of your classmates are smart, they all work hard, and they all want to finish at the top. However, if you do work hard you will be able to do well enough to maintain a scholarship and get a "good" job. For me a "good job" does not entail a large firm, does not entail working 90 hours a week, and certainly doesn't entail wiping someones ass for 6 years.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions if you've got them.

Sounds like your typical under-achieving justification.  I love how the people who slam biglaw are always the kids who fall short of the top of the class.

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 05:51:08 PM »
Sounds like your typical under-achieving justification.  I love how the people who slam biglaw are always the kids who fall short of the top of the class.

I have no idea why I'm even responding to you because you're obviously just a fucktard, but for some reason I can't help myself.

First of all, class ranks have yet to be distributed so I have no idea where I rank. I finished with a 3.3 first semester so that should put me at or near the top 20% and I consider that a success. I also got best memo notation in LR&W . . . whatever that's worth.

Second, why the @#!* would I want to work for a big law firm and spend my days quibbling over other people's money, working for a dickhole boss that could give two shits about me as a human, and doing work that is boring as *&^%? There is no group more miserable than the biglaw associate and all you need to do is talk to a few to realize this. It takes a real dickwad with limited insight into the value of life to enjoy that type of existence. While it may be for some it sure as hell isn't for me.

Third, if I worked biglaw I'd be working with people like you. Every morning I would have to wake up and confront the horrible reality of going into work to deal with motherfuckers like you and I doubt I could keep from killing myself. I'd have to feign interest in your stories about all the girls you anally raped while they were passed out at your fraternity and pretend I give a *&^% when you tell me about the quasi-prostitute you blew coke with in the luxury suite at the Knicks game.

Finally, I want the work I do to have purpose. I want it to have meaning beyond the monetary squabbles of the rich. Call me crazy, but I think the law has value as a tool for social change and I think people like you only help to devalue the public perception of the integrity of the law.

Phineas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 06:06:53 PM »

I have no idea why I'm even responding to you because you're obviously just a fucktard, but for some reason I can't help myself.

First of all, class ranks have yet to be distributed so I have no idea where I rank. I finished with a 3.3 first semester so that should put me at or near the top 20% and I consider that a success. I also got best memo notation in LR&W . . . whatever that's worth.

Second, why the @#!* would I want to work for a big law firm and spend my days quibbling over other people's money, working for a dickhole boss that could give two shits about me as a human, and doing work that is boring as poo? There is no group more miserable than the biglaw associate and all you need to do is talk to a few to realize this. It takes a real dickwad with limited insight into the value of life to enjoy that type of existence. While it may be for some it sure as hell isn't for me.

Third, if I worked biglaw I'd be working with people like you. Every morning I would have to wake up and confront the horrible reality of going into work to deal with motherfuckers like you and I doubt I could keep from killing myself. I'd have to feign interest in your stories about all the girls you anally raped while they were passed out at your fraternity and pretend I give a poo when you tell me about the quasi-prostitute you blew coke with in the luxury suite at the Knicks game.

Finally, I want the work I do to have purpose. I want it to have meaning beyond the monetary squabbles of the rich. Call me crazy, but I think the law has value as a tool for social change and I think people like you only help to devalue the public perception of the integrity of the law.

Good grief.  I hope this is the only way you take out your aggression--I cringe for your girlfriend.  I actually have spoken with nearly thirty young associates at big firms.  In fact, my brother is in his third year with Goodwin Proctor and I've spoken with him ad nauseam and there are actually quite a few misconceptions about biglaw.  First and foremost, the hours are not nearly as ungodly as you seem to assume.  Sure there are those weeks from hell with all-nighters, but for the most part, the hours usually hover from 60 to 65 hours a week.  In regard to being someone's butt-kisser for 6 years...wouldn't you "suffer" with boring work where no one cares about you for a few years if it meant you could spend the next forty making seven figures with slaves of your own?  I hope you have a wonderful life using your degree as a tool for social change as you return to your rat-hole every night.