Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlisted and deposits due on acceptences, what do I do?  (Read 2124 times)

falkies

• View Profile
Waitlisted and deposits due on acceptences, what do I do?
« on: February 17, 2008, 04:17:04 PM »
How do I choose?  I was waitlisted at a few schools I am interested in, but have been accepted to several other schools I think I would be just as happy at.  Problem is, all the ones I have been accepted to need deposits by April 1.  The deposits are non-refundable, and I am worried that I will accept and then April 2 or something get off the waitlist at a better (Read=cheaper) school.  What should I do? 

jdxf

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Waitlisted and deposits due on acceptences, what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:01:58 PM »
i have the same problem
i plan to send the deposit
if in the end i get off the watilist and am accepted by a better school
i will attend the better one
the deposit is gone of course
not decided...

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 11:32:18 PM »
That's pretty much the answer.  Pick your favorite school of the ones you've been admitted to and put down your deposit.  Try to avoid multiple deposits -- schools generally don't like it and some (aka CLS) will penalize you if you do put down multiple deposits and they find out.
CLS 2011.  All done.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 11:53:31 PM »
How do they penalize you?
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 12:07:25 AM »
They reserve the right to revoke your offer of admission.
CLS 2011.  All done.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 12:26:39 AM »
That's so lame. I understand that they want to fill their class as soon as possible, but I think schools should understand better the pressure that students are under to decide. It all is happening so quickly and it really is such a huge decision.

Luckily it seems that most schools either understand this or don't do anything to limit it as if they do understand.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 12:52:58 AM »
Sometimes you have no choice but to make a deposit. The first law school I heard back from was on ~January 8th, the deposit for that school was due on ~January 15th. It is refundable, but it is a hassle. I wish all schools had a consistant due date.

But as to the OP, out of the schools that you have been accepted too, narrow it down to one or two that you would most want to go to. You still have time to wait; you could wait comfortably until March 15th before sending out the deposit.

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 01:24:33 AM »
CLS also has a rather late May 1 deposit date and only does 1 deposit of $500, though.  I think the late date does help mitigate some potential problems.
CLS 2011.  All done.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 01:29:12 AM »
Ahh, it does mitigate it a bit. It's funny how important the 2 extra weeks seem...in reality that's still such a short span of time to make an important decision.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 10:51:23 AM »
Ahh, it does mitigate it a bit. It's funny how important the 2 extra weeks seem...in reality that's still such a short span of time to make an important decision.

Agreed. If you are already into your first choice then there's nothing to be concerned about. For the rest of us borderline candidates making a decision sucks when you haven't even heard from half your schools.

The best thing to do about a deposit though IMO is to pick the school out of the ones you have already been accepted that you would be happier with and wait until the last possible minute to pay that deposit. That way if you don't get off any waitlists you can still attend that school. I would advise against paying multiple deposits as well.

Also, if a school lets you in off a waitlist in early-late summer, most of the time they waive your deposit. So either way you would just be paying one deposit.