Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: South Florida Law School Applicant Seeking Advice  (Read 337 times)

mlinares1

• View Profile
    • Email
South Florida Law School Applicant Seeking Advice
« on: February 17, 2008, 03:07:10 PM »
Good Afternoon to all,

Recently I was admitted to the St. Thomas University School of Law; however, I have read several mixed reviews regarding this university. The Bar passage rate is not that impressive, and their attrition rate is also high. In addition to this reality the school price of tuition is similar to that of the University of Miami, yet they do not even come close to the reputation that UM has build in South Florida.
    On the other hand, I received a letter from Florida International University stating that my application has been placed on hold. After contacting the university’s admission’s office I was informed that all applications that are placed on hold are usually decided on as early as April, and in a worst case scenario by June. This process places me in somewhat of a predicament. While I am not thrill about St. Thomas University it is an opportunity that could perhaps lead to other possibilities (i.e. future transfers). St. Thomas University requires a decision from my part by no later than April 15th. Thus my questions are the following:

• Should I pay the St. Thomas (STU) commitment Fee ($500.00) and reserve a seat for this fall, and risk loosing the money if I am accepted by FIU?

• Or should I decline, acceptance to STU and place all of my chips on FIU?

Thanks you,
Future Law Student

P.S. has anyone in this website had their application placed on hold by FIU; if so, how was the process (i.e. how long did they take to inform you on their decision)?

Again thank you all!!!

jfq4999

• View Profile
Re: South Florida Law School Applicant Seeking Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 03:22:06 PM »
I'll try to help a fellow Floridian out. First off, most of your questions come down to your personal preferences. How badly do you want to attend law school? If you're willing to gamble on getting into FIU (and often, holds lead to rejections), then go for it. If you're dead-set on attending school next year, however, it's probably worthwhile to send in the St. Thomas fee. I may be in a similar position - waitlisted at schools I'd like to attend - so I   may send the initial deposit in at one school and pray that I get in somewhere else afterwards. In addition, check into whether or not the St. Thomas deposit is binding.

Another thing that people on this board love to stress...don't count on transfering. Since everyone will be relatively smart and hard-working, there's no guarantee that you can finish high enough to transfer. You certainly could, but it shouldn't be something you plan your future around. If you attend St. Thomas, be ready to stay there for 3 years.

Finally, contact FIU and let them know your situation. If you stress to them that they are your number 1, they may be inclined to help you out. Hope this helps you...

mlinares1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 03:33:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice! If push comes to shove I definitely will go to Saint Thomas University, for my ultimate goal is to practice law. However, you did raise some important issues that I will consider. I will definitely contact FIU and let them know that they are my primary choice for law school.

gbeard05

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 11:01:12 AM »
I just applied to FIU and I am very excited to learn more about the school- anything you have to offer is great.  I can only gather info from their website and don't know much about it since I am from the midwest.  I was wondering what your numbers were to get a hold- you can message me if you want.  Just to see if I will be held as well, you don't have to but it may give me piece of mind. 

I am in the same situation with deposits and waitlists.  What would you exactly say that isn't too pushy to a school when talking about deposits and waiting?