Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Assisant professors?  (Read 1467 times)

secondsblue

• View Profile
Assisant professors?
« on: February 17, 2008, 01:45:24 PM »
Is it acceptable to get a recommendation from an assistant faculty professor? She's a PhD, UCLA, several published works, etc etc.

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Assisant professors?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 03:55:32 PM »
Why wouldn't it be?

It's better to get an academic recommendation from a TA you've worked with weekly than from a professor who barely knows you.  As a generaal rule, it's always better to get something that shows familiarity than a letter that only shows a passing knowledge of the candidate.
CLS 2011.  All done.

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 09:59:32 PM »
Is her title "assistant professor"?  That's totally fine - the normal progression for faculty in American academia is assistant professor to associate professor to professor.
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 04:27:33 AM »
It's not like the prof is going to attach their CV to the rec... right?

It might (MIGHT) make a difference for grad school in whatever field the person is in, but I doubt it would for law school. I got one of my recs from a grad student and it didn't seem to hurt me. I feel like recs probably only really matter if you're on the border between in and out, or if it's really terrible. And if you're on the border, like others have said, better to get one from someone who knows you and will say nice, personal things about you than something like:

"
xynder earned an A in my course on Widget Theory. xynder has been heavily involved in [regurgitate resume here] while in school. Please consider xynder for admission.

Sincerely,
John Doe, Ph.D.
Full Professor
"

Oh, Dr. Doe edits a journal? He's an expert in applied something-or-other? Big deal... I still don't know anything about this student that I didn't know before I wasted 5 minutes reading this letter!
UVA Law Class of 2011

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 07:53:49 AM »
In any case, an assistant professor is an academic who is virtually always on the tenure-track, but they're just young still.  Just because they have a lower ranked title does not mean that they are not already gaining a fantastic reputation in their field.
CLS 2011.  All done.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 10:45:07 PM »
I had some adjunct professors write LORs for me and everything turned out fine. Letters from professors that know you and like you are good no matter the level of the professor. It's just like grades. An A from the department head is worth just as much as an A from a newly hired professor.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.