Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Listing race on your application  (Read 4901 times)

Rhymnoceros

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'm the mother flippin'"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Listing race on your application
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 04:27:34 PM »
Would that it were.  I'd be an advocate of class-based affirmative action, and I say this as someone whom it wouldn't benefit. I'm Latino enough to check the box (one grandparent), but never checked any boxes on apps because these programs weren't meant to benefit people like me who have never suffered any kind of discrimination based on ethnic heritage. If we're talking about using AA to benefit disadvantaged people, why not use an objective indicator of disadvantage, i.e. income?  Wealth, like poverty, cuts across all races, and I'd rather see a kid at Columbia of any race who had to juggle four menial part-time jobs than a multi-hued bunch of kids with yachts.

Word.

At least it seems like more schools are including an essay on ways that the applicant was disadvantaged or diverse, which includes race, sexuality, and income. I know its not as a big of a boost as people who check the URM box, but hopefully its a sign of a shift.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 04:01:17 PM »
Many applications seriously take socio-economic background into consideration. Anyone who's submitted a Boalt application, for example, would know they dedicate an entire page of the application to applicants' socio-economic background ("Socio-economic Questionnaire"). They ask not just about financial background, but also about educational background, i.e. whether or not you're a first-generation college student.
To whom much is given, much is expected.

amk320

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 09:41:02 PM »
I hope so.  I grew up on welfare in a single-parent household, moved every year from one place to another, lost my only parent and went into foster care for years.  Sadly, not much of this helps me to provide "diversity" because I am, unfortunately, white.  I have a sinking feeling that if I had another color to my skin, I would be able to get into some schools beyond my LSAT/GPA, both of which are terribly low for much the same reason that such scores tend to be "statistically" lower among URMs.

That being said, I opted not to list racial data on any of my applications.

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 05:27:20 PM »
I hope so.  I grew up on welfare in a single-parent household, moved every year from one place to another, lost my only parent and went into foster care for years.  Sadly, not much of this helps me to provide "diversity" because I am, unfortunately, white.  I have a sinking feeling that if I had another color to my skin, I would be able to get into some schools beyond my LSAT/GPA, both of which are terribly low for much the same reason that such scores tend to be "statistically" lower among URMs.

That being said, I opted not to list racial data on any of my applications.

You are the person those of us against race based AA are talking about.  Race based AA invalidates your struggle. 

thedukeisnotdead

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 08:36:54 PM »
Have you noticed that on this section it almost always says, "Your answering this question is voluntary. It will not affect our decision as to your candidacy for admission," or something to that effect.

Are they lying to me when they say that? It seems that everyone here believes that URMs have an advantage in the application process, so WTF?

They mean deciding not to answer won't negatively affect your app. At least I hope so, because I didn't answer any of those.
Then why do they have it on the app? It seems like they are looking for something?

Rhymnoceros

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'm the mother flippin'"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 10:25:38 PM »
Have you noticed that on this section it almost always says, "Your answering this question is voluntary. It will not affect our decision as to your candidacy for admission," or something to that effect.

Are they lying to me when they say that? It seems that everyone here believes that URMs have an advantage in the application process, so WTF?

They mean deciding not to answer won't negatively affect your app. At least I hope so, because I didn't answer any of those.
Then why do they have it on the app? It seems like they are looking for something?

To quote from the Law School Admission Counsel:
"Federal law requires institutions of higher education that receive federal assistance to report racial/ethnic enrollments."

Law schools have to ask, but that doesn't mean I don't agree with you. Law schools clearly love to tout the racial breakdown of their student body and so want to know the stats.
My point is just that people like me, who decide not to put their race down, are not disadvantaged any more then an applicant that checks white, or any of the other races that are not benefited by affirmative action. Law schools are claiming that they won't bring you down a notch for refusing to check the box. They could be lying, but i hope not.

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 11:40:40 PM »
Applicants who opt to leave the race/ethnicity question unanswered are most likely thought to be white--unless their applications indicate otherwise.  I'm black/gay and will check every applicable box when I apply this fall.  Believe that!
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 07:25:42 AM »
Applicants who opt to leave the race/ethnicity question unanswered are most likely thought to be white--unless their applications indicate otherwise.  I'm black/gay and will check every applicable box when I apply this fall.  Believe that!

Oh trust me honey, we believe that.

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 07:29:49 AM »

That's wonderful, sweetheart.  ::)
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 07:33:56 AM »

That's wonderful, sweetheart.  ::)

Thank you, I thought so too.