Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Listing race on your application  (Read 4832 times)

steuby

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Listing race on your application
« on: February 17, 2008, 01:09:50 PM »
Have you noticed that on this section it almost always says, "Your answering this question is voluntary. It will not affect our decision as to your candidacy for admission," or something to that effect.

Are they lying to me when they say that? It seems that everyone here believes that URMs have an advantage in the application process, so WTF?

Rhymnoceros

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'm the mother flippin'"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Listing race on your application
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 01:17:43 PM »
Have you noticed that on this section it almost always says, "Your answering this question is voluntary. It will not affect our decision as to your candidacy for admission," or something to that effect.

Are they lying to me when they say that? It seems that everyone here believes that URMs have an advantage in the application process, so WTF?

They mean deciding not to answer won't negatively affect your app. At least I hope so, because I didn't answer any of those.

steuby

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 09:41:36 PM »
I guess that makes sense... I still get the awkward feeling they are trying to bait me into answering that question when it could negatively affect my admission.

P.S. FOTCs kick azz.

calhata

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 03:42:12 PM »
Minorities have a big advantage.  If you are a minority - check the box.

Rhymnoceros

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 04:19:07 PM »

Well not always, I'm an example of minority that isn't a URM. Go arabs!
But yes, if you are an Under Represented Minority it would be most advisable to check the corresponding box. And i guess it really can't hurt if you're a plain old minority also.

P.S. FOTCs kick azz.

Yeah, they most certainly do!

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 06:06:27 PM »

Well not always, I'm an example of minority that isn't a URM. Go arabs!
But yes, if you are an Under Represented Minority it would be most advisable to check the corresponding box. And i guess it really can't hurt if you're a plain old minority also.

P.S. FOTCs kick azz.

Yeah, they most certainly do!

Also remember that "under-represented minorities" is not exclusive to racial/ethnic minorities. It also includes gender, socio-economic background, sexual orientation, etc. Don't over-emphasize the importance of racial identification in the admissions process, as mostly every application is evaluated holistically.
To whom much is given, much is expected.

NYU2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 09:44:44 AM »
I believe racial minority is by far the one they care about most.  They can't show off stats of how diversified they are by socioeconomic minority

Rhymnoceros

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 12:55:45 PM »
I believe racial minority is by far the one they care about most.  They can't show off stats of how diversified they are by socioeconomic minority

"30% of our class was on food stamps at one point in their lives!"

:D :D

NYU2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 11:26:05 PM »
haha...yeah I hear that stat touted all of the time :)

Yak Herder

• University of Washington 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 09:43:28 AM »
Would that it were.  I'd be an advocate of class-based affirmative action, and I say this as someone whom it wouldn't benefit. I'm Latino enough to check the box (one grandparent), but never checked any boxes on apps because these programs weren't meant to benefit people like me who have never suffered any kind of discrimination based on ethnic heritage. If we're talking about using AA to benefit disadvantaged people, why not use an objective indicator of disadvantage, i.e. income?  Wealth, like poverty, cuts across all races, and I'd rather see a kid at Columbia of any race who had to juggle four menial part-time jobs than a multi-hued bunch of kids with yachts.
Accepted: Michigan, UCLA, Minnesota, U. of Washington, Northeastern, Pittsburgh, Temple
Denied: Harvard
Waitlisted: Berkeley, Penn, Texas
Pending: Cornell
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=YakHerder