Law School Discussion

Applying in the Fall what should I do at this point?

Applying in the Fall what should I do at this point?
« on: February 15, 2008, 12:18:37 PM »
Besides Register for LSAT

Register for LSDAs?
what is the LSDAs and LSAT registration information packet (In Montauks How to get into a top law school), I can't find it anywhere

Re: Applying in the Fall what should I do at this point?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 12:21:26 PM »
Register for the LSDAS (I'm not sure what the registration info packet is) and then get your letters of recommendation.  Professors are generally very busy and you'll want to give them as much time as possible.  It took me over three months to get all of my letters to post to my LSAC account, and while it didn't hurt me too much I definitely went complete at some schools much later than I would have liked.  Best of luck with your future cycle. 

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
Study your ass off for the LSAT, but relax on test day... good luck!

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 12:57:11 PM »
Start working on your personal statement  ;D
I started very early; it gave me the luxury to put it away for awhile in between drafts. I was able to look at it with a fresh pair of eyes, which I think helped with the final draft.

Good luck!!

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 01:17:27 PM »
People have said it already, but ask profs to write you letters ASAP. If you wait until the last second, LORs will slow down your app.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 04:30:41 PM »
Yup the above is credited.

* Study study study for the LSAT. Make a plan. Get study guides and sign up for a class if you plan to do so. (not Kaplan)
* Start with professors and get LORs. Dont be afraid to ask several professors. Some schools take up to 4 and it is nice to have a variety. However, you want them to be strong, not just have a letter for the sake of it.
* Start your PS, DS, and any addendum  you may need (convictions, grades, whatever)
* Register for LSDAS, look at some current apps and see what info you will need to provide.
* Work on your resume.
* Research, research, research your schools!
* If you have already graduated, submit your transcripts, if you are in school and not taking summer courses, submit your transcripts at the end of this term.

I am sure there is more that I am not thinking about at the moment.

You should have all this ready to go by 9/01/08.

The more you get done early the happier your life will be.

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 08:42:14 AM »
If you took courses (over the summer or otherwise) at a different institution other than your primary undergraduate/graduate, request those transcripts ASAP and send them to LSDAS so they can recalculate your GPA. This part of the process totally slowed me down because one of the schools I took two courses at took foreverrrrrr.