Law School Discussion

UPenn w/Wharton Cert

bdiz

UPenn w/Wharton Cert
« on: February 15, 2008, 09:58:24 AM »
Does anyone here know from experience (theirs or others') how the Wharton certificate generally looks to potential employers?  Being comprised of only four Wharton classes do you think it'd be substantive enough to draw a really positive response, or is it just a bit of extra but inconsequential icing on an already tasty cake? (whew! split-second analogy here)

thanks!

bjtnj ;)

Samson, B.

• GPA: 3.38 LSAT: 169
    • View Profile
Re: UPenn w/Wharton Cert
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 10:07:26 AM »
Rumor has it potential employers value the Wharton certificate somewhere ahead of curing HIV yet somewhere below having a great golf game.

Actually, as you've probably pieced together I have no idea, but I'd imagine being honored with such an amazing and selective certificate at such an incredibly selective and prestigious school would probably just about speak for itself in the hiring process. If i were you I'd tattoo having been selected for it across my forehead and put it on my resume in Neon Pink ink then highlight the areas surrounding it with baby blue lightning bolts,you know, for visibility and street cred and all.

Congrats though on the cert, I'm just praying for an acceptance to Penn :-\

bdiz

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 10:16:09 AM »
Well I don't have the cert yet, although if I do choose Penn Law it'd be a no-brainer for me.  Although, like you said, it is mos def "highlight on the resume" material, I am curious to know how it is viewed from a business perspective, and if it gives any significant boost in credibility to one's prospects at a law firm or other position.

After all, it isn't an MBA...

bjtnj ;)

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 10:19:50 AM »
From my experience last year, my classmates at the law school told me that employers could care less about any dual-degree except for Wharton, which had a slight positive effect but not much (comes more into play if you're talking about making partner or whatever). I didn't get the sense that those with Wharton certificates were at an advantage in the job hunt.  Your GPA matters 1000x more.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 03:36:21 PM »
My Why Penn really asserts that I'd love the Wharton certificate.  IMHO, I can't see it being inconsequential, but I'd rather have a 3.5 without it than a 3.4 with it.  But 3.4 vs 3.4 it should help. If nothing else, it sounds pretty sweet.