Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just Decided To Go To Law School Last Week  (Read 5026 times)

Captain Graybeard

• View Profile
    • Email
Just Decided To Go To Law School Last Week
« on: February 15, 2008, 01:31:16 AM »
It's been simmering in the back of my mind for years.  When I was a teenager, I put it on the list of things I want to do before I die.  Then, I did a lot of stupid things.  A LOT of stupid things (nothing that resulted in any felonies, thank God).  I did start college at least, but dropped out after 34 hours.  Six years ago, I straightened out my life.  Last year, at 34, I started school again, and can graduate anytime between May '09 and May '10, depending on how hard I push it and whether or not I add a second major.  I have a 4.0 at my new school, and will keep it.  Combined with my previous work, that will give me a 3.75 (approximately) according to the LSDAS formula.  I test well, and based on the practice test I took the other day, expect to score in the 170's on the LSAT.  My past may trip me up, but I have this crazy idea that I'll get into a top tier school.  That's the goal anyway.  I guess I might be overcompensating for screwing it all up the first time around, but I'm okay with that.

Anyway, hi.

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Just Decided To Go To Law School Last Week
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 01:38:22 AM »
Hi.

Felony-free is a good thing, but think about the severity of your criminal history before investing in law school.  Talk with schools.  It's not being accepted to schools that you ought to worry about, it's being admitted to the BAR.

Pixies

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 01:41:45 AM »
^TITCR. If there is something on your permanent record it will probably decrease in significance depending on how long ago it happened.

Captain Graybeard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 01:55:19 AM »
I have two misdemeanors, and that is all.  The incidents are 6 years old, and the convictions are four years old.  They were the wake-up call that made me straighten out my life.

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 01:56:51 AM »
Oh, and take way more than one practice LSAT before you expect to score in the 170s on the real deal, just saying...

Captain Graybeard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 02:12:08 AM »
Oh, and take way more than one practice LSAT before you expect to score in the 170s on the real deal, just saying...

Unrealistic?  Probably.  Overconfident?  Absolutely! 

The truth is, my feelings on that are based on a lot more than one practice test.

Captain Graybeard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 07:40:27 PM »

Unrealistic?  Probably.  Overconfident?  Absolutely! 

The truth is, my feelings on that are based on a lot more than one practice test.

what are they based on ?

Let's just say that my skills are perfectly suited to the types of questions that the LSAT covers and the format in which it is administered.  I have also taken a few more prep tests, and done well.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 07:48:56 PM »
Don't let convictions from your past discourage you from applying... unless you were convicted of something that clearly calls into question your character and fitness, it shouldn't be a problem... especially if it was from years ago and could be chalked up more towards 'youthful indiscretion' rather than serious ethical weakness. The important part is to make sure to fully disclose the past convictions... because being anything less than 100% forthright WILL be an issue when it comes time to be admitted to the bar.
Rob
(who had two 'disclosables' (violations from 10 and 15 years ago, respectively) and still got accepted)  
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

Captain Graybeard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 08:18:14 PM »
Uh okayyyy your ~skillzzzzzzz~

Do you have a problem with me or the fact that I choose not to be more specific?  ???

Pigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 09:20:02 PM »
It just sounds a little far fetched.

I concur.

Not only that, I agree with you!!