Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Law School Laptop  (Read 35438 times)

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Law School Laptop
« Reply #280 on: April 09, 2008, 05:11:01 PM »
Agreed. You can opt out of Vista and get XP with Lenovos. Highly recommended. If you do get Vista, try to stay away from the Business version, or upgrade memory and hard drive

Mine was definitely super simple (threw some more memory in once it got here), but it was under $1000 (barely).

I also only use it for word processing, Internet, etc.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 09, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
can someone explain to me the difference between the x61 and the x61s?  i've read all 29 pages of this thread and im still lost.  also, id imagine that i would want to upgrade to 4 GB memory?  What about the hardrive?  Literally all I use my computer for is my massive amount of music, internet, and microsoft word.  Should I be getting the 160 GB? 

The x61s just uses less power, so the battery life is slightly increased (probably at a cost of slightly slower processing).  I will be getting the x61 with pretty much upgraded everything, and the ultrabase with the DVD burner, and it will still only be slightly over $2k.  I don't think that's bad at all. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 09, 2008, 05:12:43 PM »
Isn't the screen lighter on the x61s as well?

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 09, 2008, 05:12:59 PM »
can someone explain to me the difference between the x61 and the x61s?  i've read all 29 pages of this thread and im still lost.  also, id imagine that i would want to upgrade to 4 GB memory?  What about the hardrive?  Literally all I use my computer for is my massive amount of music, internet, and microsoft word.  Should I be getting the 160 GB? 

You can only get 4GB of RAM if you have the 64-bit version of Vista, which is Ultimate.

If you store lots of media files (music, video, etc.), you'll need a large Hard Drive.  80GB will not cut it, and I'd get the 160GB as a minimum.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

OldFart

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 09, 2008, 05:15:44 PM »
But, heck, computer geek that I am, I also want a steady state hard drive and all the other latest and greatest.
I'm assuming you meant "solid state drive", i.e., a big block of flash memory.

Danger!  If anything happens to your computer, that SSD is almost certainly going to be unrecoverable.  Be vigilant about backups.  Daily, hourly, every-five-minutes-ly.

I have an Asus Eee.  I like it for its size, but its keyboard isn't going to be of any use when writing papers or taking notes.  And the SSD is a concern.

At least with a hard drive, you can pull it and move the data onto another computer, or in a worst-case situation, send it to a recovery center.  Short of a headcrash, the data on that magnetic platter is pretty safe once it's been written.

Would anyone like  to Opine on whether the Asus eee + a desktop would fit a law students needs?

I'm not familiar with the Asus eee, but I just googled it and it looks like it does run Windows.  Is that right?  If so, I'd suggest you steer clear of it.  Most law school exams are done on laptops using special testing software that ONLY works on Windows computers (and sometimes OS X or dual-booting Macs).  If this were the case at your school, you'd either have to rent/borrow a strange computer for your exams, or handwrite them.  Which would suck.

Did you mean to say doesn't run Windows?

yeah that's what he meant, it's linux based.   They did just release a version that runs Windows XP
In fact, they've run XP since Day One.  It's just that it's optional, not required.

I really don't think it's a suitable laptop for law school, at least not the 700 series.  The 900 series, if the keyboards are larger and better, might be good.  My Eee's keyboard has its keys in the wrong locations, and they don't always notice when they've been pressed.  The location issue makes it hard to type (at least, when you've been a touch-typist for 25+ years), and the quality problem makes that even worse.

Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 09, 2008, 05:17:14 PM »

You can only get 4GB of RAM if you have the 64-bit version of Vista, which is Ultimate.

If you store lots of media files (music, video, etc.), you'll need a large Hard Drive.  80GB will not cut it, and I'd get the 160GB as a minimum.

alright, so i should get the 2GB of RAM?  i'm going to get XP and not vista
Wallace Stevens: "BLAHHHH you and I are like the same person."

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 09, 2008, 05:24:08 PM »
My Unsolicited Advice(tm):

1. Buy an [Acer, HP, Toshiba, Gateway] for $600-$700.  It'll have twice the specs of the x61.

2. Buy an external 500GB Hard Drive for $100-$150.  Back up your files two or three times a week minimum (it takes 10 to 15 minutes).

3. Spend $40-$70 on good antivirus software.  Run checks weekly.  Don't download files indiscriminately.

There.  For $800-$1000, you're equipped.  You'll have a powerful machine, security, and you can take all that cash you saved from avoiding the overpriced x61 and head straight to the nearest liquor store to celebrate being a tech-smart 1L.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 09, 2008, 05:28:38 PM »

alright, so i should get the 2GB of RAM?  i'm going to get XP and not vista
Sorry, I assumed you were getting Vista.  I think you can get 4GB with XP, but you probably won't need more than 3.

Honestly, if I were in the market for a PC right now, this is the one I'd get:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8782089&productCategoryId=abcat0502003&type=product&tab=2&id=1204924952362#productdetail

(note: although this doesn't have Vista Ultimate, it's a 64-bit machine and can thus run 4GB of RAM)

Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 09, 2008, 05:32:41 PM »
why do people advocate for the x61 if it's so overpriced?
Wallace Stevens: "BLAHHHH you and I are like the same person."

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 09, 2008, 05:41:35 PM »
I don't consider mine overpriced. I looked at the Pavilion and didn't like it.

I consider Macs to be overpriced. That's because I don't appreciate their unique features, and therefore, for me they are overpriced.

Different strokes. I recommend looking at the Consumers Reports issue on laptops. It is quite helpful and pulls all this information together in one spot for you.

I am sure you will find one that meets your needs, at a price that seems reasonable to you.