Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Law School Laptop  (Read 34532 times)

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Law School Laptop
« Reply #260 on: March 10, 2008, 09:35:14 AM »
Lenovo computers are HIDEOUS.  They look like they were made in the early 90s.  And the mouse button thing is dumb too.  Overall, a poor computer. 

What evidence can you cite for Thinkpads being poor computers?  

I can cite numerous reviews stating that Thinkpads are in the very top class of PC laptops, and I also know that IBM/Lenovo is respected (and rated) as having one of the best technical support departments of all PC makers.  

Incidentially, the maker most likely to be found at the top in laptop reviews along with IBM/Lenovo is Apple.

In addition, the plain black appearance of the Thinkpads is a traditional aesthetic that does go back to the 90s.  The original black design came out of IBM's Japanese Thinkpad facility, which decided to model the computer on the Japanese Bentou, a traditional lacquered wood lunchbox.  Hence, it is meant to be relatively plain and black, just as traditional Bentou are, to give it a sort of understated appearance.  Some people like this appearance, and I'm one of them.  

In conclusion, I don't see that there is any apparent reason to claim that Lenovo in general makes bad computers.  And, if the Chinese connection is the primary reason for your dislike, I would point out again that Lenovo's design bureaus are American and Japanese and that its primary North American tech support center is in Atlanta, Georgia.
CLS 2011.  All done.

fsohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #261 on: March 10, 2008, 11:08:27 AM »
Anyone know whether the folks at Lenovo are actually party members?  I've known a lot of people from mainland China, and none of them were party members, and hence, no more Communist than I am a Republican by dint of my president being a Republican.

To be fair, though, when somebody self-identifies in the States as a Republican, that usually means that he actually believes in certain core conservative principles, be they socially conservative, fiscally conservative (ha!), traditional small-government conservative, etc.  However, when it comes to being a member of the CCP, it's pretty well-known at this point that there are very few "true believers" left in China.  Joining the CCP is a fast-track to upward career mobility, clean and simple. 

And just so I can actually make a comment relevant to this thread, I think I'm going to go for a Lenovo ThinkPad from either the T or X series.  Buying through Harvard's website gives me a nice little discount of several hundred dollars, which is really worth even more when you consider the machines are preloaded with Microsoft Office.  I do want my machine to be light and portable and all that...but I also really want one powerful enough to let me run games on it.  Hmmm...

Point taken.  I suppose though it might be harder to become a member of the CCP, it does entail less of an ideological commitment than taking the blue ballot over the red one.  Then again, in the precinct where I vote, the Democrat-Republican ratio is probably close to 80-20 (at least in local elections; I'm pretty sure there are more Republicans coming out for the national stuff).  In fact, when I went to vote in the primaries, an election judge told me out of about 60 votes cast (this was about 30 minutes after the polls opened), there had been 3 people who took the Republican ballot.  Chicago can be an intimidating place to be a Republican sometimes.  My dad put up an Alan Keyes banner a few years ago, and everyone on our block looked at us like we were crazy.  I started going home through the back door until he took it down.

Illyria

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #263 on: March 21, 2008, 02:52:48 PM »
What is everyone's opinion on the new Macbook Air?  It is so darn sexy, I am dying to get one, despite the built-in battery.  I called my local Apple store and they said that if/when the battery goes bad, they'll replace it in-store for $128. 

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 21, 2008, 02:56:56 PM »
What is everyone's opinion on the new Macbook Air?  It is so darn sexy, I am dying to get one, despite the built-in battery.  I called my local Apple store and they said that if/when the battery goes bad, they'll replace it in-store for $128. 

did they say whether the replacement would be free if you bought applecare protection?

i don't need a light computer badly enough to spend the $$ for an air.  my macbook from Summer 2006 is doing wonderfully, so I doubt I'll do anything except get a fresh battery for it (free under applecare).
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Illyria

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #265 on: March 21, 2008, 03:13:03 PM »
Yeah they said its free under Applecare so that is good.  I have a Dell Laptop right now that is 6 or 7 lbs through work and I can't wait to get something light.  That has turned into an obsession to get the MOST lightweight laptop I can find.  I need to reign myself in and just be happy with a 4 lb laptop that will also be so much better than the Dell I'm lugging around right now.

Go Bears!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 25, 2008, 05:49:11 AM »
Question: maybe I read this wrong, but I'm pretty sure that NYU requires a PC computer for exams.  I bought a MAC about 6 months ago and will freak out if I have to now buy a PC on top of that!  What is the deal NYU

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #267 on: March 25, 2008, 10:30:03 AM »
Consult your Law School to determine if Macs are even an option. If they are, then it is personal preference whether you should get one.

Mac or Lenovo.

I don't recommend Dell.
VIP.

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 25, 2008, 10:30:38 AM »
Question: maybe I read this wrong, but I'm pretty sure that NYU requires a PC computer for exams.  I bought a MAC about 6 months ago and will freak out if I have to now buy a PC on top of that!  What is the deal NYU

NYU doesn't require a PC anymore.  They even sell a Mac book as a law school featured model at the computer store.

http://www.maclawstudents.com/blog/law-school-exam-software/

New York University - NYU now supports Macs for exams. This is from a message sent to NYU students by the IT department:

Windows XP and Vista users will continue to use Examsoft’s SofTest for in-class exams.

Mac Users wishing to take in-class exams on their Mac laptop will be enrolled in a beta testing group for Software Secure’s Securexam Student (”SES}) software. Please go to www.law.nyu.edu/technology/laptops/macsesbeta.html for more information.

Take Home Exams will continue to be administered on the THES system. THES will remain, as always, platform-independent.

Thanks to Enia for the updated info. [03 August 07]

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 25, 2008, 02:08:25 PM »
Does anyone know anything about the Sony Vaio. I was going to buy a Mac for school but changed my mind since one of the schools I was originally considering attending requires PCs. Is the Vaio generally pretty reliable? I'm def not buying a Dell because every one I have ever owned has crashed on me and I do not like the style of thinkpads.