Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Law School Laptop  (Read 34552 times)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: The Law School Laptop
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2008, 10:26:42 AM »
As a current law student, I cannot emphasize this enough:
GET A SMALL, LIGHTWEIGHT LAPTOP!!!!!!!

You want a full-size keyboard.  Decent battery life also might be helpful, although most schools have outlets everywhere.  Beyond that, I'd sacrifice just about everything else for size/weight.  You're going to be lugging this everywhere, and will be using it mostly for low-intensity uses (typing, emailing, IMing).  I went for performance/screen size/etc over weight/size and terribly regret it.

SMALL!  LIGHT!

Really? I'm sorry, I have such a hard time giving up a cd/dvd burner. It's really not necessary? Do these really small/lightweight ones have USB ports at least?

I definitely think you want a CD/DVD burner.  There are plenty of computers on the lighter side that have them.  Also, you can either get a "docking base" that makes the computer bigger when you need a CD/DVD burner (a la the Thinkpad x61s that Pikey mentioned) or have an external CD/DVD burner (a la the MacBookAir).  Lenovo is also coming out with a new lightweight portable--the ThinkPad X300.

I'm not saying you have to get an ultraportable.  I'm just saying you probably want a 12-14 inch screen rather than a 15-17 inch screen.  You don't need tons of extra options, since every little thing adds weight.  Just look at the weight info.  Definitely keep it below 5 lbs, but the closer you can get to 2 lbs the better.

Yeah, the docking station is pretty light as well.  Occasionally i've carried my laptop with the docking station, and it was still lighter than many of my friends laptops.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2008, 11:56:42 AM »
I think I am going to get the Sony Vaio CR series. It has a big enough screen where I don't have to strain to see and I think they are really cute. From what I hear most people don't have a lot of difficulties with them. Originally I was just going to get a mac but since I'm not computer savvy I think I'm going to stick to a PC...for now.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2008, 12:37:21 PM »
Don't forget to check if your school can get you a good price.  If I end up at Michigan, I will save at least $500 on my x61.  The only drawback is that I will have to get the 5400 rpm hard drive instead of the 7200, but then I can buy the 7200 and keep the 5400 as a spare.  I will still end up saving money that way. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2008, 01:28:07 PM »
My MacBook was just delivered yesterday... and I LOVE IT! 

For the record $1,499 (no shipping, no sales tax) at amazon.com.  That made is cheaper than using my student discount.  I got the black one :)

I took it and had the invisibleShield put on it too. It looks good. 

*is jealous*

If I see one more MacAirbook commercial, I'm going to...

I can't wait to get mine.
Michigan 2L

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 21, 2008, 01:50:54 PM »
I'm keeping the macbook I bought last year.  I just upgraded to a 200GB hard drive a few months ago, so this baby and I will be together for quite some time (knock wood).  In the meantime, I'll be dreaming about an iPhone.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

orangegrl911

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 21, 2008, 01:56:13 PM »
i havent looked at the past messages, so this might be redundant...

but i happen to work for the Information Technology department at UCLA Law right now, and MACs aren't really compatible with their exam software (ExamSoft), and if you have a MAC you should download BootCamp so you have dual OS's.  The IT dept. here also really are unable to assist students with MACs because we are on a Microsoft server and trained accordingly.  I agree, MACs are amazing - great battery life, faster, more safe from viruses, etc (btw i really want the MacBook Air!) but I would contact the IT department of the prospective law school you will be attending and ask them about what they suggest. The IT department at your law school can help you a lot with computer problems and it's helpful to know what they think you should get. :)

gowi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 21, 2008, 03:03:31 PM »

but i happen to work for the Information Technology department at UCLA Law right now, and MACs aren't really compatible with their exam software (ExamSoft), and if you have a MAC you should download BootCamp so you have dual OS's.  The IT dept. here also really are unable to assist students with MACs because we are on a Microsoft server and trained accordingly.  I agree, MACs are amazing - great battery life, faster, more safe from viruses, etc (btw i really want the MacBook Air!) but I would contact the IT department of the prospective law school you will be attending and ask them about what they suggest. The IT department at your law school can help you a lot with computer problems and it's helpful to know what they think you should get. :)

ITA, it states on the websites of many law schools I'm considering that they aren't recommended.

DECONda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 21, 2008, 03:10:29 PM »

It is never a good sign when a tech worker begins calling Apple computers MACs. Jesus. Maybe if your department realized they weren't dealing with a Media Access Control (MAC) address then they might be able to help the students.

ColvilleWA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 21, 2008, 04:57:02 PM »
Would anyone like  to Opine on whether the Asus eee + a desktop would fit a law students needs?

CLS2009Student

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 21, 2008, 05:25:20 PM »
Would anyone like  to Opine on whether the Asus eee + a desktop would fit a law students needs?

I'm not familiar with the Asus eee, but I just googled it and it looks like it does not run Windows.  Is that right?  If so, I'd suggest you steer clear of it.  Most law school exams are done on laptops using special testing software that ONLY works on Windows computers (and sometimes OS X or dual-booting Macs).  If this were the case at your school, you'd either have to rent/borrow a strange computer for your exams, or handwrite them.  Which would suck.

[edited to insert a crucial yet unintentionally missing word]