Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Law School Laptop  (Read 35612 times)

hegemonyhog

• View Profile
Re: The Law School Laptop
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2008, 05:44:46 PM »
Anything other than the MacBook Air is NTCR for this thread.

Why get for $1100 what you can get for $1800?
Accepted: Columbia, Chicago, Michigan, Virginia, Duke, Northwestern, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, The Ohio State University

Pending: Yale, Harvard

Please note that the schools are listed entirely in order of US News ranking.

LSN

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2008, 05:47:22 PM »

I know.  I know.  It' overpriced, but I'm very shallow.  Form over function.  Every and any day.
Michigan 2L

hegemonyhog

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2008, 05:53:42 PM »
I know.  I know.  It' overpriced, but I'm very shallow.  Form over function.  Every and any day.

I'm going solar-powered crank laptop all the way.  You laugh, but when I have $2200 extra from my computer loan and you're dripping ramen water on your fancy 3-pound work of industrial art, I'll be having my personal servant bring me Otis Spunkmeyer muffins from the commissary on my disposable china.

When I waste money, I waste it to the extreme.
Accepted: Columbia, Chicago, Michigan, Virginia, Duke, Northwestern, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, The Ohio State University

Pending: Yale, Harvard

Please note that the schools are listed entirely in order of US News ranking.

LSN

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2008, 05:56:39 PM »

I do, however, have another question about Macbooks: is Macbook Pro significantly better than Macbook that it's worth the extra cash, as well as extra bulk/weight/size?  If so, in what way?  Thanks again!

Getting a mac book pro for law school and general home use is a bit like swatting a fly with a grenade, however it maybe more durable as others have mentioned though not likely more reliable in terms of components.  

SBToLaw

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2008, 05:59:46 PM »

Overpriced?!  That's the LEAST of its problems.

Non-replacable battery?  CHECK
Non-upgradable RAM?   CHECK
NO Optical drive?  CHECK
ONE USB port?  CHECK

I sure hope you have an additional desktop, cuz this thing just won't suffice.

Vicki11NYR

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2008, 06:05:54 PM »

I do, however, have another question about Macbooks: is Macbook Pro significantly better than Macbook that it's worth the extra cash, as well as extra bulk/weight/size?  If so, in what way?  Thanks again!

Getting a mac book pro for law school and general home use is a bit like swatting a fly with a grenade, however it maybe more durable as others have mentioned though not likely more reliable in terms of components.  

That's what I thought, too.  Another Macbook related question, is the extra $200 worth it for the black Macbook over the white one?  I heard the white one cracks/stains easier...
Stats: 3.96/174

Accepted: HLS, CLS, NYU, UChicago ($$$), UPenn, Duke, UVA ($$$), GULC ($$$)
Pending: YLS, Cornell

LSN Account: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Vicki11NYR

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2008, 06:12:17 PM »

That's what I thought, too.  Another Macbook related question, is the extra $200 worth it for the black Macbook over the white one?  I heard the white one cracks/stains easier...

Not sure

Here's the link to the mac book forum on apple's site, you can find lots of good info there

http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=218

JediSkanks

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2008, 08:08:15 PM »
Looks like a new thinkpad is being released from Lenovo pretty soon.  Suppose to rival the macbook air (ie. thin, 3lbs, 13.3 inch notebook) 

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4213

ColvilleWA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2008, 12:52:20 AM »
If you're going to get a Macbook, I would advise against the Macbook air.  Sure it's ultra thin and light, but it doesn't even have an optical drive.  You'd have to lug around an external dvd drive, if you need one. Plus it only has one USB port. It's not very practical for law school, in my opinion.

Go with the Macbook Pro.  They seem to be pretty reliable.

I've had my Macbook for over a year and I've put a disk in it twice and I only use the USB port to charge my Ipod.  Some users need neither an optical drive nor multiple USB ports.  That said, a 2lb reduction in weight is not worth the huge jack up in price for most people.  So, unless you're going to a t14 and are bound for biglaw and a life with little concern for expenses, go with the standard Macbook.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2008, 11:44:43 AM »
HLS perspective: we use our USB ports a lot--we had to hand in our in-class exams on flash drives.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.