Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WUSTL (Full-Ride) or Chicago (Probably Zip)?  (Read 1220 times)

O.

• View Profile
    • Email
WUSTL (Full-Ride) or Chicago (Probably Zip)?
« on: February 14, 2008, 08:48:04 PM »
Short time lurker, first time poster.   :)

WUSTL accepted me with a full-ride, but Chicago probably won't give me anything because I'm a splitter.  Which would you choose?  I want to practice at a Big Firm in Chicago, like Kirkland, but I'm worried about the debt burden.  I've heard that a lot of the Chicago firms won't take you unless you're at the top half of any school, even Chicago.  Furthermore, the cost of the Chicago degree is high -- at least 100k.

I plan to stay in the Midwest.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: WUSTL (Full-Ride) or Chicago (Probably Zip)?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 09:00:22 PM »

WUSTL accepted me with a full-ride, but Chicago probably won't give me anything because I'm a splitter.  Which would you choose?  I want to practice at a Big Firm in Chicago, like Kirkland, but I'm worried about the debt burden.  I've heard that a lot of the Chicago firms won't take you unless you're at the top half of any school, even Chicago.  Furthermore, the cost of the Chicago degree is high -- at least 100k.

If you do well at either school, ... you'll have many, many options (like Kirkland).
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 09:29:13 PM »
So I should pick WUSTL?  I'm leaning in that direction as well.

No, I mean I didn't say that. I'm trying to choose between WUSTL full ride and Cornell right now. I actually made a thread a lot like yours. It's a really hard decision to make, I know.

I think you have to weigh all of your considerations. If you're not all hung up on prestige, and if you don't need the name drop, yeah, I think WUSTL will be a great choice. It's a very strong school that is constantly improving, and has strong ties to the Chicago area.

Of course, Chicago is undoubtedly the more prestigious of the two. What factors are most important to you? What factors are least important? Which school would you be happier at? Why? Etc. Etc.

Let me know though, dude, ... and any advice for me would be appreciated too! :)
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 08:44:53 PM »

I have no idea what is going on in this thread but Chicago absolutely destroys wustl in all things placement.  If you want to work in Chicago BIGLAW, you have to pick Chicago.

(Chicago's great LRAP probably makes it a better choice no matter what you want to do)

cisforcookie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 09:00:40 PM »
anyone crazy enough to want to practice at a big law firm who gets into a top14 school should have no compunction about passing on a scholarship to a lower school. you're pretty much guaranteed a job at a large law firm unless you screw it up coming out of chicago. the same is not true at wustl. taking scholarships is for people like me who want to come out with no debt and hate the idea of working for a law firm.

2elandbored

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 09:07:09 PM »
I would go to Chicago.  Kirkland is not all that selective, and you are basically guaranteed a job there from Chicago.  Maybe not guaranteed, but you will get a big firm job if you want one.  WUSTL does not guarantee you anything, although it's a decent school. 

If this was any school in the top 14, I would suggest otherwise, but the difference is too great.  The market is about to go in the crapper, so be careful.  While biglaw jobs are a dime a dozen, they may become slightly more difficult to find.

wustl3l

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 09:20:58 PM »
Chicago, hands down (and I really like going to school at WUSTL).

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 09:37:59 PM »
anyone crazy enough to want to practice at a big law firm who gets into a top14 school should have no compunction about passing on a scholarship to a lower school. you're pretty much guaranteed a job at a large law firm unless you screw it up coming out of chicago. the same is not true at wustl. taking scholarships is for people like me who want to come out with no debt and hate the idea of working for a law firm.

TITCR.

Invest in your own earning potential down the road.  I wouldn't use money as a factor, unless you're deciding between very similarly ranked schools.
Columbia 2011

motorolalawyer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 10:32:36 PM »
It's a tough choice but I would personally lean toward WUSTL with a full-ride. What happens if you hate biglaw and you want to leave? It will be difficult because you will have a lot of debt to pay off. I have a friend from a Top 5 that could not stand biglaw and left. He now has a load of debt and wishes he took his full-ride at a T25. A lot of people do not realize how big of a burden debt is.

motorolalawyer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 11:08:07 PM »
It's a tough choice but I would personally lean toward WUSTL with a full-ride. What happens if you hate biglaw and you want to leave? It will be difficult because you will have a lot of debt to pay off. I have a friend from a Top 5 that could not stand biglaw and left. He now has a load of debt and wishes he took his full-ride at a T25. A lot of people do not realize how big of a burden debt is.

No offense, but you don't think your friend could have mustered the will to stay there for a few more years?  I'll be graduating at a young age without a wife and family.

No offense taken. He thought he could but he just hated the lifestyle once he got there. He went to the Top 5 law school right after undergrad so he was young and without a wife or family too.

The OP is in a great position because he/she is choosing between a full-ride T25 versus a Top 10 school. Just make sure you choose what's best for you and ignore those that are overly obsessed with the rankings. FYI I work at a top firm in a major city and the #1 goal of most of the associates is to pay off their debt so they can do something they really enjoy. Also, a lot of people think that just because you are from a T14 you are going to get into a top firm. This is not true because we hire only the best of the best. Meaning median at at Top 5 is not going to get hired over a top 10% student at  T25. Hope this helps & good luck with your decision.