Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .  (Read 3615 times)

random*

• View Profile
« on: February 14, 2008, 07:52:38 PM »

Re: Future Job Prospects for Canucks in the US
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 09:19:21 AM »
Some of the presidential candidates have been making disturbing comments about repealing NAFTA.  I'm not sure how that would affect Canadians with JDs, but if it happens, it seems like there could be a chance that lawyer is not a protected profession in any way, and with no special deal between Canada and the US, we could be stuck hunting for H1B visas.  I should add that I have no idea how likely that scenario is.

nikos13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 09:43:06 AM »
I think I've heard that it depends a LOT on A) what school you went to here, and B) what market you want to move back to. For example, graduating from Columbia or NYU and wanting to work in Toronto is "relatively" easy, as I believe some Toronto firms interview at those schools. On the other hand, graduating in the bottom part of the class at Hofstra and wanting to work in Vancouver is gonna be pretty tough. What are your options?

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 03:21:47 PM »
Seeing as the treaty will be negotiated between attorneys and economists, I would bet that of all the jobs in the list (which include apiculturists and epidemiologists, among other stranger things), attorney and economist are the likeliest 2 to stay in the list. Don't worry.
Penn (2007)

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 05:27:53 PM »
PM me with these questions.  (Canadian studying in the Bay Area.)
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 10:31:50 AM »
I've thought about this and I really don't believe that if they do anything to NAFTA, it probably won't affect the T-1 visa jobs. Their main focus in criticizing NAFTA was more the trade/manufacturing side of things, not this area. You can't really end an agreement like that overnight, it would take at least a year to untangle if they wanted to end it. That list is strange, I can't believe librarian is on the list, like there's some sort of librarian shortage throughout North America. Anyway, that's just my musings on the subject so by no means accurate but if you went to a good enough school or were at a big enough firm, they would probably take you on an H1B visa anyway.....

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 10:10:32 PM »
i can't believe people take obama and hillary seriously when they make empty promises on corporate rights issues. neither of these candidates will defy the masters unless a dramatic political change takes place. NAFTA passed despite incredibly strong popular opposition - why would it be scaled back now?
case '09

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 01:17:43 PM »
Note to those still interested: for those with a Master's or equivalent at a US university (JD is included in this list), there is no cap to the HB-1 allowance, and you're not restricted to any particular field of work.  Basically, with that sort of degree, you need a job, and you need an employer willing to sponsor you for the HB-1.  That's it. 

Oh yeah, also, your job has to relate to your degree in some way. 
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all.