Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Money  (Read 4479 times)

charlottem

• View Profile
Money
« on: February 14, 2008, 03:55:56 PM »
A kid I went to school with got into GW with a 155 LSAT, 3.2 GPA.  He and I grew up in the same affluent suburban neighborhood, attended the same schools, and he gets into a school he's not qualified to attend just because he's hispanic.  Here's the thing, this guy thinks he should also get scholarships.  He's been looking at LSN and he says that people like himself with poor LSAT scores have been given scholarships at top 25 colleges.  This annoys me.  Not so much that he got into some great schools where he was well below their medians, but because he assumes that the color of his skin entitles him to even more privileges.  I thought AA sounded like a pretty good idea until I realized that rich, ungrateful little turds like him not only want to get into schools they are unqualified for but they also want to take scholarships away from students far more qualified to be there.

calhata

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Money
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 03:46:16 PM »
A kid I went to school with got into GW with a 155 LSAT, 3.2 GPA.  He and I grew up in the same affluent suburban neighborhood, attended the same schools, and he gets into a school he's not qualified to attend just because he's hispanic.  Here's the thing, this guy thinks he should also get scholarships.  He's been looking at LSN and he says that people like himself with poor LSAT scores have been given scholarships at top 25 colleges.  This annoys me.  Not so much that he got into some great schools where he was well below their medians, but because he assumes that the color of his skin entitles him to even more privileges.  I thought AA sounded like a pretty good idea until I realized that rich, ungrateful little turds like him not only want to get into schools they are unqualified for but they also want to take scholarships away from students far more qualified to be there.
My skin color was not a privilege.  I've had a hard life.  If some college wants to give me some dough for my education I'd be a fool to turn it down.  @#!* all y'all who think that the LSAT is everything.  I am going to get a 160 on my LSAT and I'll be at a top 10 school next year...with $$$$ female dog.  I hope you end up at the bottom of your class and I end up with your f-ing job in biglaw.

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 07:34:41 AM »
My skin color was not a privilege.  I've had a hard life.  If some college wants to give me some dough for my education I'd be a fool to turn it down.  @#!* all y'all who think that the LSAT is everything.  I am going to get a 160 on my LSAT and I'll be at a top 10 school next year...with $$$$ female dog.  I hope you end up at the bottom of your class and I end up with your f-ing job in biglaw.

Yes, you are Yale bound for sure.

calhata

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 11:50:37 AM »

Yea female dog maybe I will get into Yale.  You didn't lead the life I did.  Your ancestors didn't deal with being slaves.  You guys owe us for taking us from Africa.  You are going to PAY and you can start by me getting my happy ass into law school.  If you don't like it you can kiss my black ass.

RTP2008

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 06:29:16 PM »
please change all of your screen names and email addresses once you register for the LSAT
NYU 2011

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 06:35:25 PM »

Yea female dog maybe I will get into Yale.  You didn't lead the life I did.  Your ancestors didn't deal with being slaves.  You guys owe us for taking us from Africa.  You are going to PAY and you can start by me getting my happy ass into law school.  If you don't like it you can kiss my black ass.

YOU =  ;D >:( :o ::)

TimMitchell

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 12:40:41 PM »
I'm really upset about AA as well, I grew up in a poor white family and am the first one in my family to go to college let alone law school. Meanwhile, afluent minorities get better deals than I do just because the color of their skin.

However, when it comes down to it how far you get in life depends on your drive and ability. Even if they are getting a better deal or getting into top ranking law schools, employers are just going to look at what the produce and not where they came from. Most businesses don't give a damn about "diversity" and "equal opportunity" at the highest levels, it's all just about what you can do for them.

At least thats how I have to justify it to prevent getting an ulcer after looking at URMs on LSN.

jimbob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 04:38:25 PM »
I'm really upset about AA as well, I grew up in a poor white family and am the first one in my family to go to college let alone law school. Meanwhile, afluent minorities get better deals than I do just because the color of their skin.

However, when it comes down to it how far you get in life depends on your drive and ability. Even if they are getting a better deal or getting into top ranking law schools, employers are just going to look at what the produce and not where they came from. Most businesses don't give a damn about "diversity" and "equal opportunity" at the highest levels, it's all just about what you can do for them.

At least thats how I have to justify it to prevent getting an ulcer after looking at URMs on LSN.

Keep in mind these students will have to attend higher ranked schools to be considered equal to you.  It's just a natural process that people view competence of others based on self-similarity, unless there are attributes which can offset this.  Otherwise, where there are differences in appearance (race as an obvious one), this primes a subconscious cognitive difference engine where candidates are viewed more critically.  The Obama campaign is fascinating to watch this dynamic played out.

TimMitchell

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 04:46:14 PM »

Keep in mind these students will have to attend higher ranked schools to be considered equal to you.  It's just a natural process that people view competence of others based on self-similarity, unless there are attributes which can offset this.  Otherwise, where there are differences in appearance (race as an obvious one), this primes a subconscious cognitive difference engine where candidates are viewed more critically.  The Obama campaign is fascinating to watch this dynamic played out.

I couldn't agree more. I think equal opportunity and AA action are out of place in today's society. I read an interesting article somewhere about a law school being forced to adopt AA to increase diversity because ABA threatened to revoke their accreditation. I came from a poor background and would be considered "disadvantaged", but I believe a person should be judged on his actions and abilities and not his background. Maybe showing how you overcome challenges would be a factor in your personal statement, but when I see URMs getting into schools out of their range or huge scholarships based on nothing but their race it is just sickening. Also, when their are plenty of races that have been equally disadvantaged historically (Jews, Irish, Asians or Italians) but do not receive benefits because they are not "underrepresented".

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 04:15:35 PM »

Well, that's just false. Businesses care a lot about diversity and the appearance of equal opportunity employment,especially if said company has federal contracts.