Law School Discussion

"Hold" at Columbia = waitlist?

"Hold" at Columbia = waitlist?
« on: February 14, 2008, 12:17:51 PM »
I'm guessing a hold at Columbia is a waitlist?  I was trying to decide if I would go to NYU or Columbia if I got into both but its looking like I won't have to make that decision?

Re: "Hold" at Columbia = waitlist?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 12:29:30 PM »
A "hold" anywhere is a deferral.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »
I think that "Reserve" = waitlist at Columbia.

This may seem odd, but I am confused on the distinction between deferall and waitlist.  What exactly is the difference?  Which is better?

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 02:34:48 PM »
The schools make it so confusing. A deferral means that they are deferring making a decision, and you are still in the main pot of applicants. The waitlist means that you have been moved to a separate pile that they will evaluate after they receive deposits from acceptees. Therefore, a defer could hear at any time, but a WL will likely not hear before deposit time. Defer > WL

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 05:14:39 PM »
"Hold me, Columbia" wasn't exactly the kind of love I was looking for this Valentine's Day....but it's exactly what I just got in the mail.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 06:31:43 PM »
"Hold me, Columbia" wasn't exactly the kind of love I was looking for this Valentine's Day....but it's exactly what I just got in the mail.

Brutal.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 07:23:01 PM »

Brutal.

Yeah. Thankfully, a YLS coffee mug in the mail cushioned the blow.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 07:24:47 PM »

Brutal.

Hahahahah. I didn't see that under your acceptances. Yeah, I bet that hold didn't slow you down so much.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 07:26:21 PM »

Brutal.

Oooh can I have your chicago spot?

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 12:23:38 PM »
Update: after being deferred, I got a "you're admitted" e-mail a few moments ago.