Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Wisconsin, Class of '11  (Read 20258 times)

OlderandWiser

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's not creepy, it's kittens
    • View Profile
Re: University of Wisconsin, Class of '11
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2008, 10:39:36 AM »
Hi There, I was just wondering about scholarships from Wisconsin.  I know a few people on LSN have heard about scholarships.  Does anyone know if they are pretty much done or if there are more to come?  That April 15th deadline is fast approaching, but its hard to make a decision without any FinAid info. 
University of Washington 2011

zardoz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2008, 11:40:19 AM »
Hi There, I was just wondering about scholarships from Wisconsin.  I know a few people on LSN have heard about scholarships.  Does anyone know if they are pretty much done or if there are more to come?  That April 15th deadline is fast approaching, but its hard to make a decision without any FinAid info. 

The info I have from Wisconsin says that you can hear from FinAid anytime between "the middle of March through the end of June, depending on when you completed your FAFSA."  This notification is from the university financial aid office.  They also note that there are a "limited number of larger need-based scholarships and merit-based awards...you will be notified by mid March, through separate letter from the Law School directly, should you be offered one of these awards."

I received this letter from them around March 20 and figured that my chances for a scholarship were low at that point, but then got notification that I was awarded a scholarship a couple days later.  They sent an email followed by a letter confirming the scholarship.  I don't know what the odds are now, but you might ask if all scholarships have been awarded.  Also, with the enrollment deadline coming up in a week, it might make more funds available.

One more thing that isn't very clear, is that you might need to submit a copy of your federal tax return to the financial aid office before your award can be processed.  I had to do this, but didn't find out for several weeks after being accepted.

See you at ASW.  Is anyone else coming?
Michigan 2012

scipiv

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2008, 12:03:03 PM »
I was told by admissions that the majority of scholarships would be handed out in the next two weeks. Does anyone think that admission status affects scholarship eligibility? In other words, would a person be less or more likely to receive a scholarship if they confirm that they'll be attending?

OlderandWiser

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's not creepy, it's kittens
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2008, 12:05:34 PM »
Thanks zardoz!! I'm not holding my breath for money from Wisco, but you never know.  I did get the notice about sending in my federal tax form and they just received it last week.  So maybe there's still hope.  See you Friday!
University of Washington 2011

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2008, 11:22:51 AM »
Is anyone else concerned about the recent campus area killings in Madison?  My husband is saying there is no way I should attend Wisconsin now...but ultimately are Seattle or Minneapolis (my other choices) any safer??

Here's the CNN link for the news story:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/03/campus.deaths.ap/index.html

Seriously?  Madison is one of the safest cities in the country.  I have never ever been afraid here.

Murder rate statistics I found online:

Minneapolis: Ranked 69
Seattle:     Ranked 192
Madison:     Ranked 291

These are isolated incidents.  Seriously.  In any city, you should lock your doors and use common sense when out late at night, but I have never felt unsafe in Madison.

zardoz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2008, 01:29:28 PM »
My recent research into the crime stats all three places supports this as well and helps the husband's fear somewhat.  I think he is just being a paranoid freak because he won't be with me when I attend law school next year.  I mean I have lived in more dangerous places (statistically) and  survived just fine.
Michigan 2012

Wisc2010

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2008, 01:58:04 AM »
Current 1L willing to take ?s... hopefully some of you are here this weekend for the ASW (sorry about the rain)!
Once upon a time in the atrium...

wheretogo13

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2008, 12:35:31 AM »
Madison is a safe city. I went to undergrad here/still live here. The recent unsolved murders are very disturbing, and a lot of people in the community are very upset. But, that's kind of indicative of the fact that this type of crime hardly ever happens here.

Bad people are everywhere, crime happens everywhere...and statistically, you're going to be safer in Madison than mannnnnny other places.

I have always felt safe b/c I've lived in big apartment complexes that are secure and have cameras, etc. They are more expensive than little old houses on Mifflin, for example, but they're nicer and I like the peace of mind with the cameras.

Don't let these isolated events sway you against coming here, Madison is an awesome place to go to school. (I'm not staying here for law school, but has nothing to do with crime)...

magicpebble

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2008, 01:09:44 AM »
So, I'm heading to Wisconsin and I'm pretty excited about it. I did my undergrad at Michigan, and I've heard Madison is somewhat similar to Ann Arbor (I didn't necessarily get that impression, but I was only in town for a rather rainy Saturday).

My question is...best place to live? If it's like Ann Arbor, I'm sure there are plenty of undergrad-dominated neighborhoods, and my boyfriend and I would obviously like to avoid those areas. I got a couple of tips at the ASW, but I'd like to be as informed as possible.

Wisc2010

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2008, 12:17:56 AM »
Places to avoid for being UG-heavy:

Mifflin Neighborhood (W of Capitol)
Langdon- State St area
the Bassett St neigborhood is quieter the nearer you get to the Capitol

A lot of grad students/professionals live near the Capitol and Mansion Hill area as well as west of campus. Many also live south of campus off Park St. but it tends to be dodgy. There are people in the Vilas and more northern Greenbrush neighborhoods as well which have more family homes.

Where you live is really based on preference--- do you want to be able to walk to school/ the Farmers Market/ restaurants/ bars?  How long of a commute can you handle, etc.  For me, I knew I wanted to live on the isthmus nearer to the Capitol to be away from UGs so I called & visted as many apartments as I could until I found my fit.

Good luck.
Once upon a time in the atrium...