Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Wisconsin, Class of '11  (Read 20235 times)

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: University of Wisconsin, Class of '11
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2008, 01:08:47 AM »
I figured I'd chime in...

The post about Marquette and UW being in the same league is way off... I'm quite familiar with many of the mid/large-sized firms in Milwaukee and know it's not true.  Certainly Marquette is respected more than in other places in the country, but as someone else stated, firms go much deeper into the UW class.  There's no question that students from UW tend to be "smarter" than those from Marquette (evidenced by higher LSAT scores and GPA's).  The quality of education is likely similar (I'd be willing to say many T4 schools have and excellent QOE's too), but the difference in students is large enough that almost no one considers the schools "equals".  The same could be said about students at UW Law (me) compared to those at the University of Chicago or Northwestern - we aren't as smart as them (and less likely to be recruited, even in Madison).  I'm certainly not dumb, but have the humility to realize there are a ton of people who are much more intelligent than I.

About football tickets - don't worry, it's a lottery and it doesn't matter when you sign up as long as you meet the deadline.  That's why I really don't believe "HippieLawChick" knows what she's talking about with respect to UW.  You'll likely get some as a grad student, if not, you can buy them for about $250 (well worth it).  I went to every game last fall and it was a blast... I mean, unlike any other Big 10 school.  The students are crazy fun.  Nothing like doing a 30 foot beer bong at 9:30 in the morning off a second floor patio for $1.

Um, what are you talking about?

1) I didn't post a word about football.  Someone else did.
2) I used to HIRE LAWYERS in my previous position.  I can tell you that OCI related crap notwithstanding, MILWAUKEE has tons and tons of alums from Marquette, and they don't consider those students to be less than UW's at all.  I am sure your 6 months of law school have taught you a lot, but they haven't informed you about how to NOT run your mouth off without some facts to back you up.  Consult a hiring partner who went to Marquette at any medium sized firm in Milwaukee, and you will find that there is no hesitation to hire Marquette grads. 

Yes, Wisconsin is a higher ranked school.  Yes, in most of the country, it's grads would get more interviews based on the school's rep (with all other candidate qualities being equal).  HOWEVER, that is not necessarily true in Milwaukee. 

Bucky1L needs to be a more careful reader, or he will end up having to transfer over to Marquette. 

Vietnow

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2008, 01:11:18 AM »
The comment was that firms recruit deeper into the class at Wisconsin than at Marquette. For example:

Whyte Hyrshboeck Dudek (a medium/largish Milwaukee firm) prefers top 1/3 of the class from UW but might only go into the top 10-15% at Marquette.

OCI recruiting at UW definitely focuses on the top 30-40% of students. But I suspect that's the way that it will be at almost all t1 schools outside t14. Most students will have to do some legwork to get their jobs, but that's the way it works for us damned souls that won't be going to a t14.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2008, 01:20:14 AM »
Vietnow, I think you will do well, no matter what school you go to!

:)

Have a great night!

Bucky1L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2008, 12:44:59 PM »
MILWAUKEE has tons and tons of alums from Marquette, and they don't consider those students to be less than UW's at all.  I am sure your 6 months of law school have taught you a lot, but they haven't informed you about how to NOT run your mouth off without some facts to back you up.  Consult a hiring partner who went to Marquette at any medium sized firm in Milwaukee, and you will find that there is no hesitation to hire Marquette grads.

My father is a partner for a mid law firm in Milwaukee (UW grad), my uncle is a partner (involved in hiring) for one of the few big law firms in Milwaukee (Marquette grad), my grandfather was a partner at a big law firm in Milwaukee for 25 years (Marquette grad).  My mother, while not a lawyer, works in placement for a major midwest law school.  My Aunt is a senior associate at mid law firm in Milwaukee (Marquette grad).

The one thing they ALL say:  UW students are much more highly recruited.  Period.  It's actually not that easy to get UW students to move to Milwaukee.  Most want to stay in Madison or move away.  I grew up in Milwaukee and completely understand why.  Hiring partners aren't stupid and their egos aren't big enough to want a less intelligent Marquette grad over a UW grad (no, that's not a blanket statement that all Marquette grads are stupid).  No one is offended by it, it's just a reality.  Are there more positions held by Marquette students in Milwaukee?  Probably... in the same way there are more positions held by Cooley students in Lansing. 

Marquette grads recognize the huge difference in the incoming class.  It's not like the GPA/LSAT profiles are similar or the schools are closely ranked.  If Marquette was ranked #60 or something (thus having higher scores), they probably would be close to equal in terms of recruiting in Milwaukee.  But again, it's not even close.  Firms see this and want the best students they can get.  A near T3 school graduate can't compete with a mid T1 school graduate (1.5 hours away) of the same class ranking in the T3's home town.

I actually know many partners in firms in and around Milwaukee (many are Marquette grads).  Marquette is certainly considered a good school by them and they'd prefer hiring them over some other higher ranked, but non-local schools.  But everyone is in agreement that Marquette doesn't compete with UW.  It's common sense.  You act like someone intelligent enough to make partner is so blinded by law school loyalty that he wouldn't take a better applicant from a nearby school.  I know that when I get my UW degree, if I stay in Madison, I wouldn't think twice about hiring a Northwestern or U of C student over a UW student with a similar class rank (outside of the top 10% or so).  It's a better school with smarter students.

EDIT:  and I apologize about the football comment.

geelpiet42

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2008, 04:31:53 PM »
i was at the ASW this weekend, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask here or PM me. 

the dinner friday night was fun.  had the chance to eat with a few current students who were very nice and seemed like they'd be good classmates. 
the dean was there, as was the dean of admissions who basically ran the entire weekend, mike hall.  mike hall was hilarious. 
then saturday basically consisted of mike hall, a few faculty members, a lady from career services, and a panel of students each talking about a different aspect of the school.  again, they all seemed like great, smart people. 
then there was a lunch and finally law school tours.  i really liked the law building, and could definitely see myself studying there.
not really sure what else to write about here.  seemed to be a fair # of cute girls amongst the admitted students...
like i said, any questions feel free to ask.

The ASW was great.  I was able to get a better understanding of the clinical experience on Friday night.  Meredith Ross, professor and director of the Remington Center, was at my table and she gave us a really good idea of what clinicals they offer and how those fit in with your education.  If anyone has any specific questions about the clinicals, feel free to post them and I'll try and answer them as best I can.  I know HippieLawChick probably has some insight on clinicals as well.

Other, less important observations...Mike Hall is hilarious, the atmosphere is friendly and welcoming, and the Dean's cup (a competition between the Law School and the Med School, consisting of a variety of events, including Basketball, Bake Sales, and Mario Kart) sounds like a blast.  I can't wait to get started next fall!

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2008, 06:36:16 PM »
What kind of things did you find out about the clinicals that gave you a better understanding of them? Just about the different types and when you can take them or other stuff? Any info on them would be helpful, thanks!

Did you find the building to be as confusing and maze-like as we have heard? How is it's location on campus, easy to get to? Did you get a chance to talk to any students about their employment prospects?

nikos13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2008, 10:29:40 AM »
Anyone attend the ASW? Thoughts for all of us who will be going in April?

geelpiet42

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2008, 04:50:13 PM »
What kind of things did you find out about the clinicals that gave you a better understanding of them? Just about the different types and when you can take them or other stuff? Any info on them would be helpful, thanks!

Did you find the building to be as confusing and maze-like as we have heard? How is it's location on campus, easy to get to? Did you get a chance to talk to any students about their employment prospects?

I think the biggest thing I learned about the clinicals was that there are so many different clinicals you can get involved in.  Also, I got clarification about what clinicals can do for you.  Many profs, alums, and current students said that the clinicals can give you important experience in terms of just doing day to day lawyer stuff.  In addition, many folks commented on how the clinicals are great for networking.  A few even mentioned that they got their jobs at firms because of their network connections.

In terms of the maze-like setup of the building, it actually isn't too hard to figure out after awhile.  At first it was a little confusing, but I've visited the school twice and I've got it down. 

If you have questions about which clinicals I thought were most interesting, shoot me a PM.

XxWaitlistedxX

• LSD's newest Wisconsin troll...
    • View Profile
    • LSN - Who can predict?
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2008, 11:26:46 AM »
There is no seat deposit at Wisconsin. Instead, they will send a link sometime in March where you can either Accept or Decline your seat in the upcoming class. Not sure of when or if there is a due date to respond to the link though..

The mailings I have received have just been one on financial aid info and one which basically just has all this info: http://www.law.wisc.edu/prospective/admittedstudents1.html

When did you receive your campus ID #?

Thanks Che.  I should have specified, the ID # I got was related to the financial aid/FAFSA stuff and it came in an email early-mid Feb.

I have another question: Is anyone thinking about deferring for a year??

I have a reasonably compelling reason to defer and I spoke on the phone with the guy who handles deferrals and he said I could defer if I wanted.

If I moved to Wisconsin in July, thus living in the state for a full year before the start of the first semester '09, would I be able to claim the in-state resident tuition?  It would go from $33K down to $14K which is huge for me.  My reason for deferring is not life/death so I could go or not go, but saving that much money on tuition (over 3 years) would really sweeten the pot.  My understanding is that once you start school as a non-resident you can never switch over to resident status.  Is that correct?

Is there anyone else out there thinking about this?
IN: Miami, Pitt, PSU($$$), Tulane, Maryland, Wisconsin, FSU, Case
OUT: UIUC, Fordham(PT), OSU, Washington, Hastings
WL: IUB
Def: Iowa
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=XxWaitlistedxX

lawduuude

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2008, 06:31:41 PM »
i'm not sure, but at the ASW it seemed like it was very tough to get in-state unless you'd been there for a while beforehand or you're married and your spouse is going to be working.