Law School Discussion

University of Wisconsin, Class of '11

Re: University of Wisconsin, Class of '11
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2008, 09:26:25 AM »
Question for those admitted: how are you informed? Does everyone get a call from Mike Hall? Or perhaps an email? What about a packet or a letter? What is UW's method. It seems like if you don't get an email, you're not in. Truth to this?

zardoz

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2008, 09:41:31 AM »
I got an email followed by a letter (small, I think).  And a larger packet of information later.  I didn't talk to Mike Hall until ASW.

« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2008, 09:43:40 AM »
So that e-mail is key, huh? How far apart were the two?

Anyone else get in without the email?

zardoz

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2008, 09:47:18 AM »
I think the letter was probably sent the same day as the email.  It arrived a few days later.  I remember being surprised about the email though, because I think several people only got the letter in the mail.

« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2008, 09:52:03 AM »
Ah, cool. I just called and found out my decision will be sent tomorrow, so I was a bit freaked out when I had no email.

Why can't they just give us a little hint on the phone? heh

El_Che

• View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2008, 02:13:13 PM »
I was accepted with a letter, no email, so all hope's not lost for you!

« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2008, 02:29:57 PM »
Greetings!  :)

It's my first-time posting here. I received my e-mail acceptance in early March from UW, followed by a small letter. I was actually sitting in my doctor's office reading my email on my phone and exclaimed an obscenity. I was very surprised and excited. I had been planning to go to Marquette PT and keep working in Milwaukee. (BTW - Re: the earlier conversation - most of my Milwaukee family thought Marquette was as good or better of a law school than UW. Those are people of all different careers -- point being, Marquette's rep is larger than life in Milwaukee for some reason). I'm so glad to be going to UW though! I was really dreading entering a building called Sensenbrenner Hall every day.

I am from Wisconsin and did my undergrad at UW as well, so I am familiar with Madison. I think it's a great town, and I'm so used to the weather here it's no longer a factor. I'm also planning to go into immigration law, so I'm pretty unconcerned with all this talk of OCIs and rankings and the job market. Hopefully I will start my own practice as soon as I graduate. I am a 29-year-old, married, Milwaukee homeowner - somewhat non-traditional I suppose. We are keeping our house and I will go home on weekends when I can during my first year.

I found a perfect apartment near W. Washington and Proudfit, which is a 15-minute walk to the law school and about the same to State Street. Craigslist and the campus area housing listing on the UW site were my best resources for finding housing.

Nice to know you all,
Laura
laurafern.wordpress.com

« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2008, 10:32:49 AM »
Laura Fern,
Are you really going to read Torts, Blacks Law Dictionary and Legal Research this summer?  Please don't. 

ChiJD

« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2008, 06:27:17 AM »
Laura Fern,
Are you really going to read Torts, Blacks Law Dictionary and Legal Research this summer?  Please don't. 

lol, yes, solid advice here  ;)

« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2008, 09:14:33 AM »
I am not reading the dictionary, just using it when I come across words that I don't know in one of the nutshell books.