Law School Discussion

hastings vs BU

Re: hastings vs BU
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 10:13:56 PM »
my vote is for uc hastings. i was about to go to BU after i got in with the same scholarship but after talking to some partners in CA firms, i realized that uc hastings was the better choice for CA biglaw. too bad i didn't apply.  >:(

i think i'm going to go to uc davis or reapply. i also expect an acceptance from usc.

This is most likely the credited response, however if you're looking for options afterwards, CA included in those options, BU would probably be your best bet.

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 10:20:54 PM »
my vote is for uc hastings. i was about to go to BU after i got in with the same scholarship but after talking to some partners in CA firms, i realized that uc hastings was the better choice for CA biglaw. too bad i didn't apply.  >:(

i think i'm going to go to uc davis or reapply. i also expect an acceptance from usc.

This is most likely the credited response, however if you're looking for options after undergrad, CA included in those options, BU would probably be your best bet.

what do you mean by options after undergrad?

let me add some more info...

the scholarship is for all 3 years provided i remain in "good academic standing". consensus on this board is that means not failing. originally i thought this would mean a gpa requirement but i guess not, ill call the school to confirm. it would cover roughly 1/2 my total expenses (i live pretty cheap)

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 10:27:25 PM »
My bad, options after law school is what I meant..... ahhhhh the dangers of posting while pre-gaming.....

The Artist

• Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 12:00:53 AM »
Talk to BU, specially career services. See how many people went to CA and what the salary range is. Yes Hastings does very well in SF, but that doesn't mean other schools won't do well there. Boston is a great market to be in, so I'm positive self-selection is what keeps most BU grads on the east coast.

I think if you would be happier at BU, go there. If it's a wash, then it's up to you I suppose. Are you in-state for Hastings?

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 09:52:27 AM »
Talk to BU, specially career services. See how many people went to CA and what the salary range is. Yes Hastings does very well in SF, but that doesn't mean other schools won't do well there. Boston is a great market to be in, so I'm positive self-selection is what keeps most BU grads on the east coast.

I think if you would be happier at BU, go there. If it's a wash, then it's up to you I suppose. Are you in-state for Hastings?

i am in-state for hastings...but the $$$ from BU more than offsets the savings difference.

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 10:36:32 AM »
It's a tough call.  If you're dead set on the SF market right out of the school, statistically you have a better chance at SF big law coming out of Hastings.  Also, if you don't do well there, I'm sure the Hastings alum connection in SF will also give you a better chance of securing good mid-law opportunities.  However, with the $25K scholarship, I personally would pick BU if I were you: 3 years of living in another great city, solid reputation, secured employment prospect in CA if you slave away your first year, etc.  Even if you don't do well enough to get SF biglaw right out of school, you still have a good chance of getting NYC biglaw or Boston biglaw and lateral back to SF after a couple years. 

If you plan to visit BU in May, classes will be over by then, so you will miss out on the opportunity to sit in on a class or two.  You would have to take our words that the faculty is really really good. 

The building is ugly.  Even uglier than Hastings' tower.  However, it's functional for all purposes.  It doesn't have a "campus", but it has a community feel to it because law students spend most of their time in the building between classes, running into each other, studying together and so on.  The location is great.  Lots of cheap divey bars near by.  Downtown Boston (with swanky bars) is a 10 minute train ride away.  Many students live within walking distance.  Most have a 15-25 minute commute door to door.  Rent is not cheap, but probably not more expensive than SF either.   

The Artist

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 08:49:14 PM »
The building is ugly.  Even uglier than Hastings' tower. 

Lies. Although the lobby of the tower is pretty nice (just got back from Admitted Students Day, so Hastings is fresh on my mind). You know it wasn't bad to be honest, although we met one uber feminine hygiene product in the library (he told our tour guide to shut up, even though he was using a quiet voice). I've never seen a more stressed out person in my life, though I doubt that is something exclusive to Hastings. Career prospects are excellent, the schools isn't as cutthroat as it once was, and they are discussing changing the curve. So you can't go wrong with Hastings (although, as I mentioned, I would take BU in a second).

BTW, to the OP, you really need to get in contact with career services. Statistics about 'regional vs. national' schools can be very deceiving. For example, I was about to withdraw from a 'regional' Midwest school since only 10 graduates from the class of 2007 got jobs in CA. I did some more research and talked to recent alums and career services. It turns out only 12 students in that year came from CA. So 10/12 Cali kids returned home, which is a very high (and comforting) percentage. I just booked a last minute ticket to this school's location and the ball is in their court (it would take a horrible visiting experience for me to not go there).

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 07:45:54 AM »
i will call career services, but this link i found on autoadmit is swaying me a bit.

granted its 3 years old, but take a look.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1207904900045

UnoriginalAndrew

• I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 08:54:48 AM »

Lies. Although the lobby of the tower is pretty nice (just got back from Admitted Students Day, so Hastings is fresh on my mind). You know it wasn't bad to be honest, although we met one uber feminine hygiene product in the library (he told our tour guide to shut up, even though he was using a quiet voice). I've never seen a more stressed out person in my life, though I doubt that is something exclusive to Hastings. Career prospects are excellent, the schools isn't as cutthroat as it once was, and they are discussing changing the curve. So you can't go wrong with Hastings (although, as I mentioned, I would take BU in a second).

BTW, to the OP, you really need to get in contact with career services. Statistics about 'regional vs. national' schools can be very deceiving. For example, I was about to withdraw from a 'regional' Midwest school since only 10 graduates from the class of 2007 got jobs in CA. I did some more research and talked to recent alums and career services. It turns out only 12 students in that year came from CA. So 10/12 Cali kids returned home, which is a very high (and comforting) percentage. I just booked a last minute ticket to this school's location and the ball is in their court (it would take a horrible visiting experience for me to not go there).

HAHAHA  Wow that just made my day.  I'd love to have seen that at a school I toured just to see the tour guide's response later.   "So, ummm, most of our students usually aren't like that, but it's nearing finals and...."

The Artist

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 05:19:18 PM »

HAHAHA  Wow that just made my day.  I'd love to have seen that at a school I toured just to see the tour guide's response later.   "So, ummm, most of our students usually aren't like that, but it's nearing finals and...."

Dude, you said almost verbatim what the tour guide said. LOL.