Law School Discussion

hastings vs BU

hastings vs BU
« on: February 14, 2008, 02:14:29 AM »
i want to live in the bay area eventually, but wouldnt mind moving to another city for 3 years. does the BU name travel outside the east coast markets?  i have residency in ca.  tyia.

Re: hastings vs BU
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 07:33:23 AM »
Hastings is a big feeder for the bay area legal market.  If you want to work in the bay area immediately right out of school, hastings would give you a better shot at biglaw in the bay area (in the likely event that you rank below 30% in your class).  There's a good number of BU grads joining large law firms in the bay area right out of school every year, but most, if not all of them, rank in the top 30% or so.  If you do well at BU, you should be able to land a biglaw job in the bay area (and else where) easily.  I'm not sure you can say the same about hastings.  If you are open to the option of working on the east coast for a couple years if you have to, then definitely go with BU.  Even if you're not in the top 3rd at BU, you still have a fair chance at biglaw in Boston, NYC and DC, and then you can lateral back into the CA market after a few years.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 01:13:50 PM »
thanks, did you go to BU?

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 01:46:21 PM »
thanks, did you go to BU?

Yes, I'm a 1L there.

If you have never lived on the east coast, Boston is a great place to experience for 3 years.  It's not cheaper than SF, and tuition is higher, but if biglaw is your goal, and you're willing to put in 110% to get good grades, you can't go wrong with BU. 

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 04:30:56 PM »
bumping to get some more opinions since i am actually in at both of these schools now.

disclaimers:

want to practice in SF

25k first year from BU
0 from hastings

my other options at the moment are 5 waitlist spots (all in the t5-15), and possibly an acceptance at USC.  i am going to wait all summer for those spots to see if anything opens up, but at the moment, i assume nothing will.

tyia

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 04:43:33 PM »
My vote goes for BU.  A Hastings degree might help you get 'fed' into the Bay Area market, but I think a BU degree will  do the same thing, and eventually take you farther out and higher up.  AND the 25k, dude!  In any case, congrats on both, and let us know what you decide to do, k?  When are the deposits due?

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 04:53:37 PM »
tag

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 05:57:04 PM »
My vote goes for BU.  A Hastings degree might help you get 'fed' into the Bay Area market, but I think a BU degree will  do the same thing, and eventually take you farther out and higher up.  AND the 25k, dude!  In any case, congrats on both, and let us know what you decide to do, k?  When are the deposits due?

thanks!  i really didnt expect to get any $ anywhere, so it was a nice suprise.  the letter says the scholarship is renewable, dependant on gpa, but i always assume the worst and i think its realistic to assume that 25k is for the first year only.

i appreciate your opinion, and ill let you know what happens.

both schools have deposits on 4/15

hastings 150
BU 200

then another in june

hastings 350 (i think, too lazy to look it up)
BU  200

would appreciate more opinions on this and more specifically BU itself, since I don't know much about the school and will not be visiting until next month at the earliest.

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 08:47:48 PM »
So are you going to ride two deposits then!?  Shenanigans!  Shenanigans!  But then again, I haven't been to Boston and never seen BU (I've seen Hastings - not to my liking in terms of location/aesthetics).  You better hold for Dullashell to come back and maybe tell you more about the BU experience.  Again, good luck!

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 09:09:10 PM »
my vote is for uc hastings. i was about to go to BU after i got in with the same scholarship but after talking to some partners in CA firms, i realized that uc hastings was the better choice for CA biglaw. too bad i didn't apply.  >:(

i think i'm going to go to uc davis or reapply. i also expect an acceptance from usc.