Law School Discussion

"Initial administrative review" at Boalt?

Re: "Initial administrative review" at Boalt?
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 10:31:23 PM »
This interview explains exactly how the process works.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/tom-interview.html

1400-1600 people are sent to faculty review. 200 get in.

Seems like this year these faculty deferrals occurred in two waves. The first are already starting to hear back, and the second won't hear back until mid March. Good luck

moooo

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 09:53:05 AM »
I got in post-faculty review yesterday. I sent a letter of continued interest/update to my resume after getting the email.

aporia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 09:59:23 AM »
I think it is a little better than a deferral- most deferrals take a lot longer than Boalt does with this.  Not every successful Boalt app goes through this but it basically means they are unsure and want some faculty opinions.  I think most of the people on these boards who went to faculty review have gotten in (but maybe they are just the ones who post here about it?)  Good luck!

Thanks! From Brico's link, it looks like about 1/7 applicants going through faculty review get in. Not great, but better than nothing.

I don't understand how you're calculating this 1/7 figure.  The explanation says that 1400-1600 go to faculty review, and of those about 700 are admitted.  So, about half of the applications that make it to faculty review end up being accepted.

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 10:10:02 AM »
I think it is a little better than a deferral- most deferrals take a lot longer than Boalt does with this.  Not every successful Boalt app goes through this but it basically means they are unsure and want some faculty opinions.  I think most of the people on these boards who went to faculty review have gotten in (but maybe they are just the ones who post here about it?)  Good luck!

Thanks! From Brico's link, it looks like about 1/7 applicants going through faculty review get in. Not great, but better than nothing.

I don't understand how you're calculating this 1/7 figure.  The explanation says that 1400-1600 go to faculty review, and of those about 700 are admitted.  So, about half of the applications that make it to faculty review end up being accepted.

The link says 700-750 people are admitted in total, but ~550 of those are admitted through administrative review (prior to the committee review). Another 1400-1600 are forwarded to the committee, of which it sounds like 150-200 get in, for an acceptance rate of 9-14%.

aporia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 10:19:34 AM »

The link says 700-750 people are admitted in total, but ~550 of those are admitted through administrative review (prior to the committee review). Another 1400-1600 are forwarded to the committee, of which it sounds like 150-200 get in, for an acceptance rate of 9-14%.

Ahh...yup, got it.

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 04:11:42 PM »
I got in post-faculty review yesterday. I sent a letter of continued interest/update to my resume after getting the email.

Congrats on getting in, and thanks for telling us what you did. As someone who, unfortunately, doesn't have anything new to add to my resume (I'm out of college, and my day-to-day life hasn't changed any in the past two months), I'm wondering if your LOCI emphasized the change in your resume or was just about your interest in the school? How long was it? Thanks!

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 02:10:03 PM »

Congrats on getting in, and thanks for telling us what you did. As someone who, unfortunately, doesn't have anything new to add to my resume (I'm out of college, and my day-to-day life hasn't changed any in the past two months), I'm wondering if your LOCI emphasized the change in your resume or was just about your interest in the school? How long was it? Thanks!

No problem, I troll the site enough I figure I should give something back. :)

I am also out of school, so I emphasized a fellowship I won and a big event I took responsibility for at work (which I think can be a good trick for anyone out of school). I also added two paragraphs or so of a "why boalt" at the end, since there wasn't a space for it in the initial application. I did a lot of research for that part, and made sure that I listed programs and opportunities that were unique to Boalt, and linked them with my interests. The whole thing was about one page, single spaced.

Hope this helps!

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 11:26:44 AM »
well, if it makes you all feel better, I *didn't* get the administrative faculty review when they went out in the first round, and I just got my rejection letter last week!

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 05:44:24 PM »
I went through this process also, I didn't send a LOCI and I was accepted recently.  I don't know that it makes that much of a difference but it's probably better to be safe than sorry.  Good luck!!!!!