Law School Discussion

"Initial administrative review" at Boalt?

"Initial administrative review" at Boalt?
« on: February 13, 2008, 05:11:52 PM »
I got an email today reading:

"I write to inform you that your law school application at UC Berkeley Law School (Boalt Hall) has passed an initial administrative review and has been selected for further consideration by the Faculty Admissions Committee.  The Committee will begin its deliberations on February 29.  We anticipate a final decision will be reached on your application by March 21. Thank you for your patience!"

Is this like getting a deferral?  Or is it something that every successful application goes through (as well as the unsuccessful ones that fail the second review?

Thanks for your help!

PS...got an email from Northwestern an hour ago indicating that a decision regarding my app has been reached and can be viewed online, but i keep getting an error message saying my id # isn't in the system.  sweet.

Re: "Initial administrative review" at Boalt?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 06:16:56 PM »
I got deferred as well.

Is a deferral better than a waitlist?  I mean; I know that the application is still up in the air, but we could still get rejected.

basically yeah it is. They get back to you a lot earlier than a waitlist. Also, a waitlist is basically them rejecting you, a deferral means they're interested enough to wait and consider you again later.

stricly bricly

• berkeley 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 06:27:15 PM »
http://www.top-law-schools.com/boalt-hall.html <- read under 'application process' if you're curious about the faculty review thing. 

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 07:22:36 PM »
http://www.top-law-schools.com/boalt-hall.html <- read under 'application process' if you're curious about the faculty review thing. 

Thanks for the link. I got the email, too. It seems like it's not quite a deferral, but the chances of admission from this point don't look fantastic.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 08:14:07 PM »
I got it too.  Damn and blast.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 09:16:04 PM »
So when they told me last month that the committee would begin deliberations on Jan 28th, that wasn't exactly what they meant?  Do they re-review apps in separate batches? 

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 09:17:47 PM »
I think it is a little better than a deferral- most deferrals take a lot longer than Boalt does with this.  Not every successful Boalt app goes through this but it basically means they are unsure and want some faculty opinions.  I think most of the people on these boards who went to faculty review have gotten in (but maybe they are just the ones who post here about it?)  Good luck!

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 09:22:41 PM »
I think it is a little better than a deferral- most deferrals take a lot longer than Boalt does with this.  Not every successful Boalt app goes through this but it basically means they are unsure and want some faculty opinions.  I think most of the people on these boards who went to faculty review have gotten in (but maybe they are just the ones who post here about it?)  Good luck!

Thanks! From Brico's link, it looks like about 1/7 applicants going through faculty review get in. Not great, but better than nothing.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 09:24:17 PM »

Thanks! From Brico's link, it looks like about 1/7 applicants going through faculty review get in. Not great, but better than nothing.

But, Go Bears! brings up an interesting point. Can people post their experience with the faculty review? Anybody not get in after getting this email? Did people who were ultimately accepted do anything special? Thanks!

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 10:30:46 PM »
This interview explains exactly how the process works.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/tom-interview.html

1400-1600 people are sent to faculty review. 200 get in.

Seems like this year these faculty deferrals occurred in two waves. The first are already starting to hear back, and the second won't hear back until mid March. Good luck