Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn State  (Read 5294 times)

arich24

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Penn State
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008, 02:30:22 PM »
So, I feel like I owe Penn State an apology from my last post.  I spent the entire weekend in Carlisle at the scholarship dinner and the open house and I am now obsessed with Penn State.  It truly was an incredible weekend. I had the opportunity to talk to a bunch of professors at the dinner and during the open house events they held a panel where they answered alot of questions that...well, eradicated all of my doubts.

I want to go into international law and eventually work for the Feds.  I had engraved in my mind that the only way this was going to def. work was to be in DC.  After this weekend, I came to a realization.  Sure, American University is known for it's international law program, and sure, being in DC would put me in a place where many offers will be available...but bascially...ALL the people at American are interested in international law (ok, obviously not everyone, but a HUGE amount)...I would basically be competing with 100+people for a small pool of jobs available during the summer and afterwards.

Penn State has an impressive list of DC contacts, DC externships, and DC successes basically.  They are also expanding their abroad programs to semester and year abroad (something I'm very interested in...and they are even about to sign a contract with Turkey for one of these abroads, something I'm crazy excited about).  Penn State is so diverse that the students are focusing in a wide array of specializations, meaning, only a small handful would be competing with me for the international related jobs, etc.  Basically...I'd be a big fish in a small pond.

I am now convinced that Penn State will open the doors I need opened. I know that I could excel there and the quality of life I would have would be FAR better than the quality of life I could afford in DC.  Penn State is up and coming, I mean...just look at that new ranking!!!  So, please ignore my last post...and well, I would say that I am now 99.9% that I will be joining Penn State's law school!!

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008, 03:52:04 PM »
So, I feel like I owe Penn State an apology from my last post.  I spent the entire weekend in Carlisle at the scholarship dinner and the open house and I am now obsessed with Penn State.  It truly was an incredible weekend. I had the opportunity to talk to a bunch of professors at the dinner and during the open house events they held a panel where they answered alot of questions that...well, eradicated all of my doubts.

I want to go into international law and eventually work for the Feds.  I had engraved in my mind that the only way this was going to def. work was to be in DC.  After this weekend, I came to a realization.  Sure, American University is known for it's international law program, and sure, being in DC would put me in a place where many offers will be available...but bascially...ALL the people at American are interested in international law (ok, obviously not everyone, but a HUGE amount)...I would basically be competing with 100+people for a small pool of jobs available during the summer and afterwards.

Penn State has an impressive list of DC contacts, DC externships, and DC successes basically.  They are also expanding their abroad programs to semester and year abroad (something I'm very interested in...and they are even about to sign a contract with Turkey for one of these abroads, something I'm crazy excited about).  Penn State is so diverse that the students are focusing in a wide array of specializations, meaning, only a small handful would be competing with me for the international related jobs, etc.  Basically...I'd be a big fish in a small pond.

I am now convinced that Penn State will open the doors I need opened. I know that I could excel there and the quality of life I would have would be FAR better than the quality of life I could afford in DC.  Penn State is up and coming, I mean...just look at that new ranking!!!  So, please ignore my last post...and well, I would say that I am now 99.9% that I will be joining Penn State's law school!!

I'm glad to see that you are able to make a decision that will make you happy.  Congrats!  :)

KevChris3312

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2008, 01:59:55 PM »
Where do most UP law students live? Also, is a car necessary to travel around that campus considering the distance between downtown and the law buildings up north?

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2008, 02:14:48 PM »
FWIW, Forbes picked Harrisburg, PA, as one of the best places to start a business/career:

http://www.forbes.com/2008/03/17/bestplaces08_all_slide_48.html?thisSpeed=30000

mm1405

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2008, 02:16:04 PM »
I second the last posting... this past weekend was incredible.... Well done Penn State! Making my decision EXTREMELY difficult ! !
158/3.84, Master's Degree, Paralegal for 1 year

IN: Baylor (Spring 09), Penn State Dickinson,
OUT: UT
WL/WD: Temple, Rutgers-Camden
Pending: Houston, SMU

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2008, 02:25:13 PM »
While I am probably not attending PSU, I've lived in the area for virtually my entire life.  If anyone has any questions about the area, feel free to pm me.