Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn State  (Read 5284 times)

mm1405

• View Profile
Re: Penn State
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 08:48:31 AM »
What about living/life around the Carlisle campus?
158/3.84, Master's Degree, Paralegal for 1 year

IN: Baylor (Spring 09), Penn State Dickinson,
OUT: UT
WL/WD: Temple, Rutgers-Camden
Pending: Houston, SMU

mm1405

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 08:53:54 AM »
Is anyone going to the Penn State ASD? I was told I would be getting info about it, and it would be end of March, but I havent heard anything else.

arich24

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 03:17:54 PM »
Is anyone going to the Penn State ASD? I was told I would be getting info about it, and it would be end of March, but I havent heard anything else.

I know that Carlilse's is March 28th, but I can't make that...I'm heading up there during my spring break though (between March 15th and 21st)...I'll post what I think about Carlisle after that!  I wish they had offered me more money, my decision would be easier!

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 05:37:47 PM »
My letter says that the Carlisle Open House for Admitted Students is Saturday, March 25 and the University Park event is scheduled for Saturday, April 5th.  It also says info will be mailed in a few weeks- my letter is dated 2/22.

Edit:

My letter apparently has a typo as March 25th appears to be a Tuesday.  I'd say your best bet is to shoot them an email or call for better info.
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

Quaildogie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 10:39:46 AM »
I will be flying in for the Admitted Students Day April 5th at UP.  See you all there.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 09:47:37 PM »
Well congratulations to you all!  I am a soon to be graduating 3L.  If you have any questions regarding the school, let me know.  Once again, congrats!

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 02:39:07 AM »
Postcard in the mail today...invitation to Sat. March 29th @ Carlisle and Sat. April 5th @ UP.  It says to RSVP for more details.  I am really intrigued by Penn State.  It sounds like it might be a nice fit for me.

What did you think of your 3yrs there Kilroy?  Which campus were you at?  Was there a competitive atmosphere?  Did you go to any football games?  Were you able to find the job you wanted?

I am particularly excited about the new building in UP.  Anyone think the new facilities will give PSU a little boost in the rankings (as if it matters at all)?
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 08:48:56 AM »
Postcard in the mail today...invitation to Sat. March 29th @ Carlisle and Sat. April 5th @ UP.  It says to RSVP for more details.  I am really intrigued by Penn State.  It sounds like it might be a nice fit for me.

What did you think of your 3yrs there Kilroy?  Which campus were you at?  Was there a competitive atmosphere?  Did you go to any football games?  Were you able to find the job you wanted?

I am particularly excited about the new building in UP.  Anyone think the new facilities will give PSU a little boost in the rankings (as if it matters at all)?

Well, I spent all three years in Carlisle.  The UP campus opened after my first year.  I was settled in Carlisle so I didn't feel going to UP was the best fit for me.  UP is filled with distractions, but if you are a serious student you should be fine.  I made the drive from Carlisle to State College several time for football games.  The drive takes about 1.5 hours...but you can do it faster if you ignore the speed limit.  :)  Student tickets are hard to get.  When they go on sale, make sure you are online and ready to go otherwise you might miss out.  But, the games are fun and you have to go to one, preferrably more, before you graduate.  I went the the Notre Dame game last season, and it was completely nuts.  Full stadium white-out.  Fantastic game.     

The atmosphere is not competitive in my class, but it changes with each class.  How competitive the atmosphere is your first year will depend upon your classmates and section. 

The new buildings are going to be very nice.  They will help boost the rankings if that is a concern.  My friends, except two, all have jobs.  They are pretty excited about the jobs they have.  Some are working for the Feds, some are clerking and others are going into nice firm jobs.  Personally, I was offered my dream job so I am excited and very happy.  Classes are rough for the most part first year.  As I had a professor tell me, we are known for working people very hard.  It is our schools signature style of teaching.  Some professors do not have a problem handing out 40 pages of reading for each class.  Some will assign less, while other will assign more.  As the saying goes, first-year they scare you to death, second-year they work you to death and third-year they bore you to death.  In my opinion, this is how my legal education has gone.  But, it is a great school.  The administration can be jerks.  The dean isn't exactly popular amongst the students.  But, the faculty is great.  I think the world of many of them.  If you have any else you want to know, feel free to ask.  If you have anything more controversial to ask, PM me.  Otherwise, good luck to you!

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 10:41:09 AM »
I went to PSU - University Park for UG. If you guys have questions, feel free to pm me or whatever.

mm1405

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 02:43:18 PM »
Are the both of you that are currently attending the school originally from PA? What are your views of Temple? Job prospects in areas other than centra PA?