Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seattle U: Information  (Read 10598 times)

loowho

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Seattle U: Information
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 05:48:50 PM »
Seattle U is very well respected in the Seattle job market, so if you are considering working in Seattle, it's a great choice. And if you haven't visited, Seattle is wonderful city. Also, although it's convenient to live really close to school, Seattle has a good bus system, so you could branch out a little bit farther and still not have a terrible commute. And though the housing prices are higher than other places in the country, its a large enough city (as opposed to going to school in a college town where you're competing with everyone else for a August-June lease) that you can find great deals if you look around a little.

Seattle rocks!

What about for California? I am originally from California, so I would like the option to practice in California, if I chose to.

I'm not really sure how Seattle U places in CA markets; sorry. My guess is that it is not quite ranked highly enough to travel very well outside of Washington and maybe Oregon. But I could be wrong.

Also, per the later discussion. I got a fee waiver; but I've met with the admissions people on several occasions (law school fairs in Seattle, etc.) so I think I was on the radar. I'm not quite sure how common the fee waiver practice is. I also do know that they have some scholarship money to give out; I know a few people who are attending with substantial scholarships.
In: Boalt, $$Duke, $$Northwestern, $$GULC, $Michigan,  $$GW, UW, Penn, UVa, $$USC
Pending:Stanford
Out:Harvard, Columbia :(

Bob Loblaw, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 08:39:12 PM »
It's cool man. I didn't think that was belittling, I understand your frustration. However, I really believe you will receive your acceptance soon (maybe within the next 2 weeks), so hang in there!

As for my application, I believe what set me apart was that I spent many months writing my personal statement and diversity statement. Also, I have some soft factors that might have helped push me over the edge: worked 25 hours since freshman year, club leaderships, trilingual, study abroad, and I'm currently writing my honors thesis. Oh, and I applied in mid-November, so I guess they had a chance to look at my application when their minds were fresh and less irritated with the number of applicants.

Let me know when you get accepted =).

Didn't see you mention this...did they offer you any money?

Unfortunately, my stats are too low for any scholarships (3.14/156). But I hope they will give me something later =(. Do you know if you do well during your first year, would they consider some scholarships for your second year?

Note: According to USNEWS, SU is one of the TOP 3 in the nation in legal writing:
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/law/brief/lawsp09_brief.php

all students who are in the top 25% of their class after the first year receive a scholarship.  i think the max award is 15K or so.  I finished around top 15-20 and was offered about 8K.
3L

ColvilleWA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 09:45:03 PM »
It's cool man. I didn't think that was belittling, I understand your frustration. However, I really believe you will receive your acceptance soon (maybe within the next 2 weeks), so hang in there!

As for my application, I believe what set me apart was that I spent many months writing my personal statement and diversity statement. Also, I have some soft factors that might have helped push me over the edge: worked 25 hours since freshman year, club leaderships, trilingual, study abroad, and I'm currently writing my honors thesis. Oh, and I applied in mid-November, so I guess they had a chance to look at my application when their minds were fresh and less irritated with the number of applicants.

Let me know when you get accepted =).

Didn't see you mention this...did they offer you any money?

Unfortunately, my stats are too low for any scholarships (3.14/156). But I hope they will give me something later =(. Do you know if you do well during your first year, would they consider some scholarships for your second year?

Note: According to USNEWS, SU is one of the TOP 3 in the nation in legal writing:
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/law/brief/lawsp09_brief.php

all students who are in the top 25% of their class after the first year receive a scholarship.  i think the max award is 15K or so.  I finished around top 15-20 and was offered about 8K.
[/quote

Wow, do you know if that is common at other schools?

Bob Loblaw, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 04:56:19 AM »
from what I have seen, it is fairly common for schools to offer academic scholarships to students in the top of the class after the first year.  However, from what I have seen, there are usually some sort of restrictions if you enter into the school with a scholarship.

you should check each particular school though.
3L

ColvilleWA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 05:05:50 AM »
from what I have seen, it is fairly common for schools to offer academic scholarships to students in the top of the class after the first year.  However, from what I have seen, there are usually some sort of restrictions if you enter into the school with a scholarship.

you should check each particular school though.

Interesting.. probably a good practice if they want to keep people from transferring. 

BlackJack21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 02:49:56 PM »
My file is stil incomplete at SU. I submitted my app on 1/14. Grrr...they are admitting people while my fils is the home to a family of daddy long legged spiders. They said they are backed up on the mail!
Southwestern 2011

BlackJack21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 02:51:01 PM »
My file is still incomplete at SU. I submitted my app on 1/14. Grrr...they are admitting people while my file is the home to a family of daddy long legged spiders. They said they are backed up on the mail! Anyone else have this problem?
Southwestern 2011

stuffedburrito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 05:27:48 PM »
My file is still incomplete at SU. I submitted my app on 1/14. Grrr...they are admitting people while my file is the home to a family of daddy long legged spiders. They said they are backed up on the mail! Anyone else have this problem?

Yeah, unfortunately, you applied a bit late, so they are inevitably log jammed at the Admissions Office. However, you should hear by next month. Good luck!

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 07:08:25 PM »
Well they just updated the status checker. My decision was mailed out on Feb 15, have yet to recieve... probably in the next day or two.

My file went complete on 11/29/2007.

stuffedburrito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 07:16:04 PM »
Well they just updated the status checker. My decision was mailed out on Feb 15, have yet to recieve... probably in the next day or two.

My file went complete on 11/29/2007.

Good luck Clayton! You might not receive your response until the 25th. They tend to say the decision was mailed on a certain date but do not mail the letter until 4-5 days later. Tell me the good news when you receive it!