Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seattle U: Information  (Read 10597 times)

stuffedburrito

• View Profile
    • Email
Seattle U: Information
« on: February 13, 2008, 06:39:47 PM »
Seattle accepted me! Does anyone have any positive or negative comments about the school?

ColvilleWA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Seattle U: Information
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 07:18:04 PM »
I don't know but my decision is in the mail.  Soo nervous. :-\

Karma Sucks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 12:11:15 AM »
It borders Capitol Hill, which is a fun/trendy area of town.  It also borders First Hill, where a lot of the crazy street people hang out.  Housing isn't that pricey for an urban area.  The campus is definitely urban, which kind of turns me off as I like lots of space and lawn. 

If you are not from the northwest, you may not know that it is the most gorgeous place on earth, at least from June through October.  The remainder of the time it is overcast, but the summer makes up for that.  Cascades to the East, Olympics to the west and the Sound in between.  Amazing place.

My understanding is that Seattle U places well in the Seattle area, considering that UW is only 5 miles away.

stuffedburrito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 06:05:12 PM »
Congrats SB.  And good luck C. And thanks LR. 

Do you remember when you sent your apps in?  I think I went complete in the middle of December so I'm hoping to hear from them soon.

Thanks SCK, I sent my application in mid-Nov and went complete on Dec 1st. Good luck!

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 06:28:48 PM »
How do you know your decision is in the mail?  Did you call? 

I've been complete there since 11/08/07 and am STILL waiting for a letter, and I thought I had a solid shot at getting in.  3.1 gpa, 158 lsat.  To the OP:  what were your stats?

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 06:56:01 PM »
I've been checking that.  It still just says "Decision Pending," and I've been complete since November 8th.  It's taking them 15 weeks to make a decision?  Quite annoying.

Bob Loblaw, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 07:03:21 PM »
i spent my 1L year at SU before transferring.  if you have any specific questions, just shoot, or send me a message.
3L

Bob Loblaw, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »
first of all its a pretty large law school; almost 350 1L's i think.  I was in the evening program, which was VERY laid back.  Honestly, it was a great atmosphere, everyone was very supportive of one another.  The day time program seemed alright from what I observed.  Generally, pretty good vibe though.

As far as competition is concerned, it was fairly non existant within the evening section, and probably a little more competitive for the day time students. But it was not anything ruthless that you may see in the movies.  However, the competition kicks in during 2L OCI, which is fairly limited at SU.  With 300+ students look for jobs at the same time, and 95% in the same city, it may get a little tough.

I thought cost of living was outrageous, but i'm from the south.  If you want something close to school, you may want to look at places in capitol hill or first hill.  Personally, I would stay away from first hill; quite a bit of crime for such a small area.  Capital Hill is a pretty cool place, VERY liberal.  You can find some decent 1br or studios probably for 700-1000.  I lived a couple miles from the school in the leschi/madrona park area on Lake Washington, which was awesome.  Its a little more pricey though.  Or, you can live in the Murphy apartments on campus, which is absolutely without a doubt the most economical thing to do.

The two things i liked most were 1) the building facilities and 2) the professors.  The building is only a few years old and is very nice for a law school.  THe professors are very accessible and experts in their fields.  Dislikes?  Honestly, I didnt really have any during my 1l year. I think its a great school and well respected for the attys it produces.  I can imagine if I was still there that I would have some complaints in terms of finding a job though.  I think if you're coming out of SU, networking in the city is the KEY.  You can't rely on SU OCI/Career Services, not that it is horrible, but again with 300+ studnets, it only really helps out the top 10% or so.

le me know if you have any other q's
3L

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 09:03:12 PM »

I've been complete there since 11/08/07 and am STILL waiting for a letter, and I thought I had a solid shot at getting in.  3.1 gpa, 158 lsat.  To the OP:  what were your stats?

I havent heard back either. Mine was complete on the 18th of November. I have similar stats, my GPA is .1 higher.

We don't have a "solid shot" but do have around a 40% chance of getting in.

stuffedburrito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 11:50:55 PM »

3.14/156. Good luck!