Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JD/__: Joint Degrees anyone?  (Read 2113 times)

rsr28

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: JD/__: Joint Degrees anyone?
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 11:00:55 AM »
one of my classmates in my master's program was getting her JD at the same time.  she said employers could care less about your second degree, unless it was a business degree.  don't do it because you think it will make you more employable, do it because you're interested in it.

Not a great broad generalization.  There is pretty strong evidence that a Master's in Engineering, if you're willing/interested to do IP law, makes you a good deal more employable, and in fact is one of the few factors that can really get you a much better initial salary than you'd otherwise have.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2008, 11:29:52 AM »
one of my classmates in my master's program was getting her JD at the same time.  she said employers could care less about your second degree, unless it was a business degree.  don't do it because you think it will make you more employable, do it because you're interested in it.

Not a great broad generalization.  There is pretty strong evidence that a Master's in Engineering, if you're willing/interested to do IP law, makes you a good deal more employable, and in fact is one of the few factors that can really get you a much better initial salary than you'd otherwise have.

Yep, I'm just reporting what my big law-bound classmates told me.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

thecrashlawyer

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 11:58:32 AM »
Ditto on JD/MSW.  Got in at Case this week and both their JD and their MSW programs are pretty solid.  It depends on the schools I'm waiting to hear back from and how much $$ comes my way. 

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 05:37:07 PM »
JD/MD - Princeton

Interesting...all the posts I've read about dual-degrees, I've yet to see anyone mention the JD/MD combo.  I currently work in the healthcare industry, and have heard that there's significant demand for these graduates.

Oh well, I'm still more interested in the JD/MBA.  Best of luck to you!  :)

He's joking, as Princeton offers neither a JD nor an MD.

I'm a little curious about what you've heard about the combo, though.  PM me?

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 07:26:52 AM »
JD/MD - Princeton

Interesting...all the posts I've read about dual-degrees, I've yet to see anyone mention the JD/MD combo.  I currently work in the healthcare industry, and have heard that there's significant demand for these graduates.

Oh well, I'm still more interested in the JD/MBA.  Best of luck to you!  :)

He's joking, as Princeton offers neither a JD nor an MD.

I'm a little curious about what you've heard about the combo, though.  PM me?

I would imagine that an MD/JD is extremely useful if you are looking to pursue a career in medical malpractice and helpful to a lesser extent for health law in general.
2L and counting...

RandyJay419

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 09:13:38 AM »
Medical malpractice, definitely.

I've also heard of opportunities in biotech, primarily with patent work, similar to engineers who pursue a JD.  Additionally, JD/MDs may be sought for positions that support clinical trials, FDA approvals and such.
Northwestern '11
------------------------------
"A lawyer's time and advice is his stock in trade." 
     -Abraham Lincoln

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 09:23:50 AM »
I am considering JD/MPH.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 02:45:33 PM »
I'm pretty certain thats exactly what you do since many of these JD/Masters programs still have you graduate in 3 years.

Really? Every school I have spoken to about it says 4 years.
1L, then work on your MBA (or whatever) for a year, then 2L and 3L. You also will have to take specific law classes that go with the masters during 2&3L.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 03:01:41 PM »
I'm pretty certain thats exactly what you do since many of these JD/Masters programs still have you graduate in 3 years.

1L, then work on your MBA (or whatever) for a year, then 2L and 3L. You also will have to take specific law classes that go with the masters during 2&3L.

Not the mba, but I've seen 3 year MAs and MPHs.

Do you recall where, for the MPH specifically?

TrumpWho??

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 07:26:46 PM »

Not the mba, but I've seen 3 year MAs and MPHs.

Northwesterns JD/MBA is 3 years and I believe Duke's is 3.5 years.