Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Weird Situation Re: Application Fee -- Please Advise  (Read 1093 times)

lyre

• brightly burns
    • View Profile
Weird Situation Re: Application Fee -- Please Advise
« on: February 12, 2008, 11:12:48 PM »
I had a very weird phone call the other day from a school I've already been accepted to.  The admissions coordinator left a voicemail on my cell phone late in the day Friday, and I didn't have a chance to call back until Monday afternoon.  I left her a voicemail at that time and she returned my call around 30 minutes later.  I answered the phone and when she said, "This is _____ with X Law School," I said, "Oh hello, how are you doing?" to which she replied, "Uhhh...kay."  Now, I had assumed she was calling to see if I had any questions about the school or to discuss my scholarship offer.  Instead, she said to me, "I see you put on your application that you attended X (this school)."  I just said, "Yes...?" and she said, "Well, you didn't."  I was a bit taken aback by her rudeness (her voice inflection is hard to describe over the Internet, suffice it to say it was not pleasant), but I simply replied, "Well, I am not earning my undergraduate degree from X, but I do have some credit hours from your school."  The application said former students (NOT graduates) do not have to pay an application fee, so I didn't send one in with my app.  I sent my apps in back in October and was accepted by this school in December.  It is a little late for them to be noticing.  Anyway, at this point, she informs me that my credits do not count since they were from a dual-credit program and demands that I pay her the application fee immediately over the phone.  I explained to her that I did not have my credit card with me right now, and even if I did, I do not give my credit card number out over the phone for privacy reasons.  To this she responded, "That is too bad, I need the fee NOW."  I asked her if she could send me a bill or give me an address to mail in a check, and she said, "I prefer payment by phone.  What is your credit card number?"  Again, I explained that I do not have the card with me and don't give out my info over the phone anyway.  She asked a third time for my number and I said I would try to get the matter resolved, thank you and goodbye then hung up.

Now, here's the situation: I am NOT attending this school.  In fact, I had been drafting my withdrawl letters for a couple of days, but I just hadn't sent them in yet.  I am VERY overqualified for this school (LSAT about 10 points above median, GPA about .6 above median) and they have offered me a generous scholarship as well as a research asst position.  When I applied, this school was at the very bottom of my list, I only applied because they are very close to home -- in case I had a financial breakdown this year, I could live at home for awhile and go to this school (I tend to be a worrier and want to have all bases covered).  However, my finances are fine and I have already decided on another school to attend.

What do I do?  Do I pay the app fee even though I am not attending the school, I AM a former student, and the lady was extremely rude to me?  Or do I just mail in a withdrawl letter and hope they take the hint?

Sorry so long, but I really don't know what to do here.  I just have a hard time sending in the money after the way I was treated -- this lady was also rude to me at a law school fair.

Tegoyan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Situation Re: Application Fee -- Please Advise
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 11:15:51 PM »
You are thinking about paying? No way! Don't pay, just withdraw.

I would also put in a phone call to the person in charge of admissions, since you have the woman's name and everything. Tell him what happened.

Now I want to know which school this was.

stinabee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 11:16:58 PM »
Wow. I agree with the poster above me. Don't pay, and get this female dog in trouble  ;D

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 11:19:09 PM »
I'm with the poster above. Don't pay the fee. Make sure they understand that they wrote "former students," and it makes sense to include you in that category. And then tell them that you appreciate their offer of admission, but you will not be attending their school.

Just remember to be respectful no matter how hard it is after the way that lady treated you. I think she's scared b/c she made a mistake..

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 11:24:08 PM »
Don't pay.

PollyMaggoo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 12:42:51 AM »
How weird. Are you sure that was really someone from the school calling? It sounds sketchy. Either way, good for you not giving her your credit card #. I agree with the other posters, withdraw your application as originally planned and do NOT pay the fee (if the call was even legit).

rnidtowner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 12:43:40 AM »
Send in your withdrawal letter - and make sure to indicate that your unpleasant experience with (name of admissions counselor) made a direct impact on your experience.  It sounds like you have better options anyway.

NewGirl2007

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 06:15:29 PM »
How weird. Are you sure that was really someone from the school calling? It sounds sketchy. Either way, good for you not giving her your credit card #. I agree with the other posters, withdraw your application as originally planned and do NOT pay the fee (if the call was even legit).

Ditto. It sounds really sketchy.

Don't pay.

schooler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 09:02:18 PM »
Would there be possible repercussions for not paying?  Could your LSAC file get flagged?
NYU Class of 2011

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 09:06:58 PM »
Don't pay.  If they reviewed your file without receiving an application fee that's on them.
Michigan 2L