Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Marquette - my chances and your experiences?  (Read 2618 times)

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Marquette - my chances and your experiences?
« on: February 12, 2008, 08:27:44 PM »
Me: 156, 2.9, URM for what it's worth, non-trad, 10 years work experience.

For several reasons I am considering Marquette. First, my chances? And two, I don't see much feedback around here on the school, the area, etc. Anyone?
I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Marquette - my chances and your experiences?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 08:43:44 PM »
I am also curious of there is any Marquette students on LSD?

I will say to the OP that I do enjoy Milwaukee (not sure if you live there already) and the downtown was a lot of fun. Only visited the school at night (it snowed and my visit day was canceled the next day..) and the area didn't seem too bad at all. I didn't explore Milwaukee too much, it was in December of last year that I visited...try in spring! haha.
Tulane Class of 2011

issixit

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 10:05:52 AM »
Within the midwest, Marquette has a pretty good reputation. Its a good school and I'm not just saying it because I got in there. And I had a 159 & 3.55 GPA. I'm hoping to get some financial aid. I was wondering if anyone on here had heard from them on that?

boilerguy84

• "I've got something to say..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 01:56:50 AM »
i'm still waiting to hear back from marquette. i have a 163 with a horrible gpa. so i guess i'm kind of up in the air.

i liked marquette quite a bit when i visited. i LOVE milwaukee. the area around marquette isn't great, but it's not horrible either.
"read a book."
Depaul '11

hurley325

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 08:41:03 PM »
Within the midwest, Marquette has a pretty good reputation. Its a good school and I'm not just saying it because I got in there. And I had a 159 & 3.55 GPA. I'm hoping to get some financial aid. I was wondering if anyone on here had heard from them on that?

According to LSN, it looks like they have only sent out a few scholarship letters.  I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Being a URM, I think you have a really good shot at getting into Marquette (although there was a 3.55/160 that was waitlisted, I don't know what to make of that).  Marquette grads seem to do pretty well in Milwaukee, but you have to do really well to have much of a shot at any Chicago jobs right out of school.  I think it has a good reputation around the Milwaukee area and as a bonus you don't have to take the bar if you graduate from Marquette and practice in Wisconsin.

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:40:25 PM »
I have a friend who got accepted at Marquette less than a month after applying.  I think his dad knows someone in the law school, and I think that sped up his process (I don't think he got any special treatment).  He had 3.3/157, so that might give you some reference.  I applied pretty last minute to Marquette (mid-January) and haven't heard anything other than the postcard sent to me notifying me of completion.  I have 3.1/158 and honestly I'd be pretty surprised if I don't get in.  Your chances are pretty slim but not impossible by any means.  Your gpa is less than favorable, but it's still worth a shot.

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 09:51:33 PM »
Oh, and as far as about the school, it's well-respected in WI, you'd have to be very competitive to find a good job in Chicago.  Milwaukee is a fun city, especially in the summer.  Marquette appeals to me personally because I have a ton of friends from Milwaukee and Whitefish Bay, so I wouldn't be in a complete sea of strangers if I went to Marquette, but I would prefer to work in Chicago over WI.  I'm already accepted for DePaul's part-time program, and if I can manage to work my way into the full-time program there I'd likely choose that over Marquette, just the options I'm weighing, I need to hear back from all my schools before a real decision.

boilerguy84

• "I've got something to say..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 01:06:31 AM »
just hearing "whitefish bay" makes me think of that gordon lightfoot song.

i got into depaul's full time a couple days ago, and am torn over whether i want to go there or marquette. i'll probably wind up waiting until the last minute to decide (if i get into marquette...163/sub 2.5 UGPA...so it's iffy). but i love milwaukee, so i have no idea what i want to do. i just hate waiting to hear back from them. depaul got back to me in less than 3 weeks (from application date, not completion date). i've been complete at marquette for 3 weeks now. what gives?

one thing that marquette has going for it is that they're building the new law building. the renderings look amazing. i also love not having to take the bar in wisconsin (and if i live in milwaukee, then that's even better).
"read a book."
Depaul '11

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 09:16:29 AM »
Me: 156, 2.9, URM for what it's worth, non-trad, 10 years work experience.

For several reasons I am considering Marquette. First, my chances? And two, I don't see much feedback around here on the school, the area, etc. Anyone?

Hi Honeyhush.  Check out my LSN (in my sig.)  I am a URM with similar numbers.  Mine are a little higher but my soft factors are not as strong (I'm only 1.5 years out of undergrad, paralegal, nothing really Earth-shattering here.)

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 08:05:01 PM »
I just got my acceptance into Marquette's full time program today.  Seems like they are pretty quick with decisions.  I mentioned above that my friend got accepted quickly, and I applied about 5 weeks ago.

I am definitely considering Marquette.  I very much want to transfer into T1 for my 2L, and am interested in sports law.  Marquette has a good program for that, and if I kick ass I'd love to try and transfer to Duke and continue sports law.